Next Generation Toyota 4Runner, TNGA-F

Which vehicle set needs to be redesigned first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Bring out the popcorn for the drama that traditional LX buyers will come up with should the LX become an Escalade.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Also the roadmap did say new 4Runner in 2022.

zAnxBGq.jpg

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Something wrong about the Sequoia render

Idk, proportions are off, front fascia looks more like the cheaper Fortuner

If and only IF this is legit, it may means one of the next scenarios

1) Fortuner will replace the 4Runner in NA and Toyota ditches the 4Runner name.

2) Fortuner will replace the 4Runner in NA and the 4Runner name goes rugged straight lined as the second generation FJ or in other words a wrangler/ bronco/ defender rival.

3) 4Runner will be just a ripoff Fortuner which means Tacoma will be ripoff Hilux.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
That Sequoia render is not informed speculation, but just someone's guess at what it could look like.

"4Runner" is one of the strongest names Toyota has in the USA with regard to recognition and loyalty. It is not going anywhere.

Like we see in TNGA scaleability with the RAV4 and Highlander using the same chassis, Toyota should be able to easily scale and build different 4x4s for market variation and segments. My personal assumption is that, from smallest to largest:

Hilux/Fortuner continue to share a platform as they do now, slightly smaller than midsize. If Toyota was ever to resurrect the FJ Cruiser, this is probably the platform to use.

Prado/GX/4Runner/Tacoma use the same midsize platform with differences for sheetmetal, mechanicals, trim and interiors. Tacoma will be slightly different as it's a truck with different configurations.

Land Cruiser: "Tweener" between midsize and true full size as it is now, but with a change of direction (less chrome, less luxury, not as expensive, more attainable, probably more overtly offroad oriented than the current one)

Tundra/Sequoia: Platform mates just as they are now. Sequoia directly battles the Tahoe, Expedition and Suburban and is the clear choice as a family hauler vs. offroad oriented, smaller Land Cruiser.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If we spend more time speculating on future TMC products rather than appreciating/discussing those already on sale, something is wrong with TMC or us.

Well... the 4Runner has been around since 2009 with only cosmetic changes... and Toyota has publicly acknowledged that the next one is not too far away, so I think aside from speculation, we've run out of things to talk about 🤣

Reactions
How about we reignite this thread again. ;^)

Remember, Carmaker1 did say that the new 4Runner and Sequoia are ready to be released for the 2022 calendar year (MY2023) and the Tacoma will a year after as a MY2024, which in these days an 8 year production run is pretty solid.

supra93

Expert
Reactions

I've said it many times the past year, to the point of Motor1 getting a lengthy email from me and reporting on it in February. Ditto for The Drive and other outlets.

Sequoia was due for cancellation until 2015 (dealers begged), when a minor refresh was developed for 2018 and another for 2020, new model program was initiated in 2017.

2023 MY, as TMMTX is being renovated to accommodate Sequoia production starting in 2022. I believe that even tooling tests will be conducted for 2023 Sequoia next year, as it's already underway for 2022 Tundra and is where the photo in lighting came from. Tacoma is moving to Mexico-only production by end of 2021.

Also have 100% confirmation Tacoma is solidified for MY 2024, every body on frame USA Toyota for 2023MY has been fully styled and only one remaining is 2024 Tacoma (final design almost done), which is scheduled for Q3 2023.

So:

• Spring 2021: 2022 Land Cruiser 300 (not for USA)
  • July 2021: Last of 200 Series arrives in USA
  • Late 2021: 2022 Tundra (Currently tooling assembly and final prototype testing)
  • Q3 2022: 2023 Sequoia (design is frozen, prototypes in testing)
  • October 2022: 2023 4Runner (design is frozen, prototypes being developed)
  • Q3 2023: 2024 Tacoma (wrapping up design process)
  • CY2023-24: Land Cruiser nameplate reintroduced to USA on smaller bodystyle (being studied)*

(Anyone that doesn't believe non-asterisk items, you will see later ;))

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

Yup. GX getting another refresh this year made me weary... I don't think Toyota would invest the $$ in something without at least two years on the market to recoup the investment cost. So 2022 GX = new infotainment, and no new GX before 2024 model year. Probably same for the 4Runner and Prado, as we know.

Brandon B

Fan
Reactions
Yup. GX getting another refresh this year made me weary... I don't think Toyota would invest the $$ in something without at least two years on the market to recoup the investment cost. So 2022 GX = new infotainment, and no new GX before 2024 model year. Probably same for the 4Runner and Prado, as we know.
I agree. Frustrating for those waiting on a new model. 14-15 years since the last change is outrageous

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I don't know if the LCP delay will impact the 4Runner. Are they still committed to 2022?
LCP after 2nd facelift is considerably more modern (new powertrain, redesigned interior) than the GX and USDM 4Runner so it could easily stay fresh for a few more years. But the other two could really need an update ASAP.