2022 Nissan Z

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
After more than a decade, a new Z may be in the works.

Carscoops
Skip to content

It’s Finally Happening! Nissan Spied Working On A New Z Sports Car
BY MICHAEL GAUTHIER | POSTED ONOCTOBER 29, 2019 27

The Nissan 370Z was introduced over a decade ago, but it appears work has finally begun on a successor.
While there isn’t much to see, spy photographers snapped a test mule on the Nürburgring where it was being benchmarked against the 2020 Toyota GR Supra.

Since the model is still in the early stages of the development, it doesn’t look terribly special as a majority of the body parts and components carryover from the current 370Z. However, engineers are clearly focused on cooling as the front bumper has been equipped with extra air intakes.

Also Read: Nissan Product Planning Boss Says 370Z And GT-R News Is Coming Soon

Virtually nothing is known about the car, but Nissan’s global product planning boss used the Tokyo Motor Show to announce we can expect to hear something about the 370Z and GT-R soon. He didn’t elaborate, but said the models are “at the heart of Nissan and we are actively looking at and working on them.”

While the automaker was coy on specifics, rumors have been flying around for years. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt, but previous reports have suggested the car will be twinned with the next-generation Infiniti Q60. The two models are rumored to share the same platform and engine options. That makes sense and the Nissan 350Z and Infiniti G37 Coupe followed a similar strategy.

If the rumors are to be believed, the production model could be called the Z400 and be slightly larger than the current car. It will reportedly be powered by a twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 engine that produces around 400 hp (298 kW / 406 PS). There have also been rumors about all-wheel drive and a new Nismo variant, but that’s just speculation at this point.

There have also been conflicting reports about whether or not the next-generation Z will be offered as a roadster. The 370Z Roadster was dropped in the United States for 2020 as the company wanted to focus on sales of the coupe.
Nissan should confirm plans for a new Z shortly but, in the meantime, speculation suggests the model could be launched as early as 2021.

PHOTO GALLERY
  • 8017df1b-2021-nissan-z-1-300x163.jpg

• eded1e1b-2021-nissan-z-2-300x163.jpg

• 3518434f-2021-nissan-z-3-300x163.jpg
  • 71de9532-2021-nissan-z-4-300x163.jpg

• 7e0a54ee-2021-nissan-z-5-300x163.jpg

• 0695427e-2021-nissan-z-6-300x163.jpg
  • 8877ead9-2021-nissan-z-7-300x163.jpg

• e2a845ae-2021-nissan-z-8-300x163.jpg

• 45b2bcbf-2021-nissan-z-9-300x163.jpg
  • e452da3a-2021-nissan-z-10-300x163.jpg

• 2fa1d60d-2021-nissan-z-11-300x163.jpg

• 160f01ab-2021-nissan-z-12-300x163.jpg
  • 46f0fa68-2021-nissan-z-13-300x163.jpg

• 20b925b4-2021-nissan-z-14-300x163.jpg

• ccc5ea3c-2021-nissan-z-15-300x163.jpg
Picture credits: S. Baldauf/SB-Medien for Carscoops

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I personally think it has more to be concerned about from the new C8 than from the Supra.

Reactions
Nissan is still quite competent at chassis tuning right? At the very least they have an in-house powertrain... And with AWD it could be a better 'numbers car' than the Supra.

Nissan hasn't built a good chassis in a long time. Every year as they update the GTR, it gets worse. The only car that's actually good is the Z but that thing is older than a dinosaur. Toyota is an order of magnitude better in terms of tuning a good chassis.

Corolla vs Sentra --> Corolla
Camry vs Altima --> Camry
Avalon vs Maxima --> Avalon
Highlander vs Pathfinder --> Highlander
RAV4 vs Rogue --> RAV4
CHR vs Juke/Kicks --> CHR
Anything Toyota vs Anything Nissan --> Toyota 100% (you get the gist)

You name it, every car Toyota has built is better than a Nissan. To top that, Nissan doesn't even offer some cars that Toyota does. Toyota's platform is actually revolutionary in every single aspect you look at it, meanwhile Nissan is just a shadow of its former self. Nissan back in the 90's were a powerful force. But now? It would be a compliment to say they're a joke, because it gives us some kind of laughs, but Nissans nowadays sucks the living hell out of your soul.

And that in-house powertrain you're talking about (the VR30 TTV6) will be no match for the upgraded B58 that will be in the Supra. And there's still the GRMN coming too that will be based off the Supra GT4 race car.

Last edited:

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Good to have some healthy competition. Sadly the market however isnt what it used to be. I havent really seen the energy and momentum that folks had prior to the Supra Launch. The Z could be the biggest baddest thing in the world, but if it priced like a Supra, its gonna be dud or a very very low volume car. I assume just like the z before it, it will ride on the same platform as the current Q60?

Reactions
I really like the retro styling and look, i would love for more manufacturers to get on board with this idea (like that volvo 240 render). Getting major 2nd gen z vibes from it. Only time will tell if it will be a competent competitor to the new 2021 Supra. I wonder if Nissan will offer a 4-cyl option as well. It seems this might be the last generation of ICE sports cars so every manufacturer is trying to jump on the bandwagon before its too late.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
From what I've read, this is a major facelift on the current 370Z that debuted back in 2009. In other words, think what they've done to the 2021 IS (the upcoming IS 500, to be precise). Probably same wheelbase and underpinnings, new external sheetmetal and new engine (400 hp twin-turbo 3-liter V6 from Infiniti Q50/60 Red Sport 400). Not sure how much or how little the interior changes.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I expect interior changes like G37 to Q60, which is good, unlike new IS.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Z up front and GT-R at the back. For Nissans sake I hope they nail it.

Reactions
From what I've read, this is a major facelift on the current 370Z that debuted back in 2009. In other words, think what they've done to the 2021 IS (the upcoming IS 500, to be precise). Probably same wheelbase and underpinnings, new external sheetmetal and new engine (400 hp twin-turbo 3-liter V6 from Infiniti Q50/60 Red Sport 400). Not sure how much or how little the interior changes.

That's correct. The interior will be redesigned to a point that you don't think that you're in a car from 2007 but the real changes will be the powertrain and exterior design.

super51fan

Follower
Reactions

That isn't a bad thing though, and I would argue is not something that would hold this car back in sales. Most people shopping for this type of car wouldn't see the benefits of an all new platform and just want something fun with more power than the 86 that isn't a Mustang of Camaro. It probably won't outperform the Supra around a track but it will still sell since it is a Japanese sports car, it comes in a manual, and will most definitely look better than the Supra IMO.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
That isn't a bad thing though, and I would argue is not something that would hold this car back in sales. Most people shopping for this type of car wouldn't see the benefits of an all new platform and just want something fun with more power than the 86 that isn't a Mustang of Camaro. It probably won't outperform the Supra around a track but it will still sell since it is a Japanese sports car, it comes in a manual, and will most definitely look better than the Supra IMO.
It also is a true Japanese, the Toyota is a BMW, the best one but a BMW.

Reactions

I actually like the looks of the Supra more personally.

super51fan

Follower
Reactions
I actually like the looks of the Supra more personally.
I think the Supra looks good, bold, and aggressive. But there isn’t a single line that flows front to back. There is no design, there is no emotion, just a bunch of lumpy body panels and because of this I can’t support its appearance even if I think it looks cool going down the road. And the front bumper is hideous.

I have no idea what the Z will look like but as long as it has a cohesive design, it will always look better in my opinion.

Reactions
I think the Supra looks good, bold, and aggressive. But there isn’t a single line that flows front to back. There is no design, there is no emotion, just a bunch of lumpy body panels and because of this I can’t support its appearance even if I think it looks cool going down the road. And the front bumper is hideous.

I have no idea what the Z will look like but as long as it has a cohesive design, it will always look better in my opinion.

Funny you say that because there is really slick, straight line from the front of the hood all the way to the C pillar window just sayin'. In terms of emotion, a lot of people do think differently in that that this design has the ability to tug them at their heartstrings. The flared hips are just downright mouthwateringly sexy, the taillight design is really original and the front headlight design (especially the LED light bar) is a total flex on everyone else that's on the road. The front bumper has a supercar-like face that gives it a lot of uberholt prestige on the road and makes everyone snap their necks to take a look at one.

The only major design flaw that triggers me are the fake vents and the like that breaks the door that houses that fake vent but other than that I'd have to disagree with you in terms of the design. Every time I see one it stops me on my tracks with my jaw wide open whenever I've seen one in public. Have you had the opportunity to see one in person? It's really pretty especially in yellow.

However to each to their own though and I respect your views as you simply appreciate a more subtle, cleaner design in cars. I'm like you in that regard but unlike you I don't think that the Supra is overdone, bar the fake vents (😜), so maybe I have a different tolerance in louder and more aggressive design languages, but mind you I'm not the kind of guy that likes Mansory cars.

Last edited:

super51fan

Follower
Reactions
Funny you say that because there is really slick line from the front of the hood all the way to the C pillar window. The flared hips are just downright mouthwateringly sexy, the taillight design is really original and the front headlight design is a total flex on everyone else that's on the road. The front bumper has a supercar-like face that gives it a lot of uberholt prestige.

I just really hate the fake vents but other than that I'd have to disagree with you in terms of the design. It's a total stunner and it stops me on my tracks with my jaw wide open whenever I've seen one. Have you had the opportunity to see one in person?

To each to their own though and I respect your views as you appreciate a simpler, cleaner design in cars. I'm like you but I don't think that the Supra is overdone though, bar the fake vents. 😜

The roof line? That’s not a design, that’s an outline.

Vents being fake are one thing but the one on the door is ridiculous and serves literally no purpose besides cluttering the side of the car. This combined with the shoulder line that misses the hood line in the fender is a giant eye roll. I could go on and on.

Seen one in person? I just said I think they look cool when they drive pass lol. I have a few buddies with them and have even waxed one so I more than familiar with the all the shapes of the car to make an opinion.

I think the car looks cool but I think a huge part of this is that the car is brand new and shiny which adds to the wow factor.

Edit responding to your edit: it’s not that I dont like aggressive design, it’s that the design has absolutely no flow to it which results in a series of lumps.

Last edited: