mikeavelli

Reactions
Guys the Murai is a shortened LS platform. From my understanding there was a lot of shock the Murai moved to this RWD platform and they debuted it and the GS wasn't confirmed yet. I am assuming there was some internal uproar and the GS got the green light.

I dont' think the next GS (if this is all true) will be hydrogen only, maybe an option or maybe an EV option as Lexus has promised all vehicles will offer EV options by 2025.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think from what I heard that the SSB will be like the safe boat for all the corp BEV program and that's why they outsourcing the current electric UX & CH-R from Chinese as their R&D in the BEV mainly depending on the high density, safety and longevity that can found in the SSB more that the current liquid batteries

they and their partner Panasonic have invested a lot into lithium ion development as well.

Keep in mind this is marketing decision, not engineering. Marketing will not wait for 10 years until some new tech is available that brings 7.98% improvement.

Imagine Toyota not selling 1.5m hybrids per year because they dont like current lithium-ion spec and they dont want to sell something with nimh batteries?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
that's exactly my thoughts regarding the GS, it will be the niche tech and ev nameplate in Lexus as Prius in Toyota or as EQ in Benz

Regarding the LC300 making it a full offroader only is that means FJ cruiser / defender / Wrangler / Bronco style and price range or G wagen price range

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Guys the Murai is a shortened LS platform. From my understanding there was a lot of shock the Murai moved to this RWD platform and they debuted it and the GS wasn't confirmed yet. I am assuming there was some internal uproar and the GS got the green light.

I dont' think the next GS (if this is all true) will be hydrogen only, maybe an option or maybe an EV option as Lexus has promised all vehicles will offer EV options by 2025.

to be fair, Mirai uses same platform as Crown, right? So Crown is already developed and selling for 2 years on this new platform.
I dont think Mirai matters there.

On the other hand, Mirai might mean that they want bespoke FCV vehicle, something that is easier to market and not lost in 9 powertrains.

p.s. I think dealers could care less about GS. They want sales, and this is the same worldwide.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
they and their partner Panasonic have invested a lot into lithium ion development as well.

Keep in mind this is marketing decision, not engineering. Marketing will not wait for 10 years until some new tech is available that brings 7.98% improvement.

Imagine Toyota not selling 1.5m hybrids per year because they dont like current lithium-ion spec and they dont want to sell something with nimh batteries?

Agree
You have a valid point

Let's wait and see, there's a lot of crazy stuff in this report

mikeavelli

Reactions
to be fair, Mirai uses same platform as Crown, right? So Crown is already developed and selling for 2 years on this new platform.
I dont think Mirai matters there.

On the other hand, Mirai might mean that they want bespoke FCV vehicle, something that is easier to market and not lost in 9 powertrains.

p.s. I think dealers could care less about GS. They want sales, and this is the same worldwide.

Toyota debuted the Mirai concept and insisted it be not just a car for people who want an alternative energy vehicle. It is a good looking car inside and out that drives well that just also happens to be powered by hydrogen. This bodes well for the next GS.

Dealers do care about the GS because the ES is not a replacement no matter how you shake it and not having a true 5/E/A6 competitor leaves a serous hole in your lineup. They might not beg for it but they do want it. I think if they continue to keep some of the GS's good DNA (great driving, great interior) and add better styling, more room, more power, MPG and alternative energy, they have it standing out again. Offering dealers a GS with possible alternative energy would be easier to sell and market compared to an ES without it.

On the other hand this could be all B.S and just giving us GS hope for no reason lol.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
The thing is the GS maybe all around alternative power trains

* hybrid
* plug-in hybrid
* battery electric
* hydrogen electric

Everyone with a different power train and different power output

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Toyota debuted the Mirai concept and insisted it be not just a car for people who want an alternative energy vehicle. It is a good looking car inside and out that drives well that just also happens to be powered by hydrogen. This bodes well for the next GS.

Dealers do care about the GS because the ES is not a replacement no matter how you shake it and not having a true 5/E/A6 competitor leaves a serous hole in your lineup. They might not beg for it but they do want it. I think if they continue to keep some of the GS's good DNA (great driving, great interior) and add better styling, more room, more power, MPG and alternative energy, they have it standing out again. Offering dealers a GS with possible alternative energy would be easier to sell and market compared to an ES without it.

On the other hand this could be all B.S and just giving us GS hope for no reason lol.

With Mirai, and also Rav4 Prime they have changed their approach where alternative vehicles were focused on MPG, they realized that market wants performance as well.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The thing is the GS maybe all around alternative power trains

* hybrid
* plug-in hybrid
* battery electric
* hydrogen electric

Everyone with a different power train and different power output

then it would be new GS.

I understand why would they focus on FCV or BEV, because it raises that message and focuses it. That is why it is not going to be GS but completely new nameplate... yes just like EQC or e-tron.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions

Fact! I hope you meant electrified not fully electric by 2025. 2025 is too soon but very welcomed. :)

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I think he means this document

So please guys let us talk about the other points in the leaking document

*GR86 i was hopping to be Celica and the name GR86 for the top hot Celica.

*Camry / Avalon: as the Camry will have FL in 2021 and the Avalon 2022, and as the next generation Camry will be 2024 so that leave 2 different theories either we won't have a next generation Avalon or we will have the next generation Avalon within a year or 2 from the Camry and that makes it 2025/2026 model.

*Tacoma / 4Runner: 2022 / 2024 with totally new engines sharing the GA-F with all the BOF I hope to be "Wrangler / Bronco / Defender".

*Land Cruiser 300: 2021 MY, I hope it will be a 4Runner bigger brother as a big Bronco or dare I say it a G-Wagen competitor. as a mixed up bigger 70, what makes me feel it may turn out like this scenario is that it will also get the Hybrid TT V6 as the other 3 "LX, Sequoia & Tundra". add to this that the same document not excluding a more luxurious LC300 in Russia / ME / Africa & Aus.

*Tundra / Sequoia: 2021 / 2022: it will be luxed with a lot of Hi-tech as a step between Expedition and Navigator so they will take both streams.

*LX: 2022 as Bentayga / Cullinan competitor needing another model to be Cayenne / DBX competitor to have the both extremes the classic and the sport which what I guess will be the role of the next GX, if the LF-1 limitless any clue.

*NX / RX: needs to be more agile with a real European handling SUV like.

Last edited: