New Lexus ES to Debut at Auto Shanghai on April 20th

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-04-09-lexus-es-2016-update-400x200.jpg

Lexus has announced the new ES will debut on April 20th at Auto Shanghai, and have released a first teaser image to prove it.
View the original article post

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
The refresh so far looks good. Though I wish (hope) to see the triple L LEDs in some form or another.

Will the ES 350 have the new 3.5 D4S engine? Will we see an ES 200t or anyone think this engine may be out-of-character?

Improved lower interior hard plastics and Nav display?

Reactions
Aha darn. I just posted a thread on the forums and then I refresh the home page and see this! Haha krew beat me to it!

RDS

Fan
Reactions
I think rising the top section of grille to match the top section of the headlight is a good choice , but I still have to wait to see the whole car before making further comment on that ; hopefully they can use new engines throughout the line up , and hopefully replace ES250 with ES200t , or at least add ES200t into lineup for certain market to get advantage on taxes .

Reactions
I hope lexus put the 2.0l turbo in the new ES, but could we also see the revised engines put in the new RX? . But one thing I can expect lexus to make is a revised suspension to make it more aggressive when driving. If that happens then an f sport model will probably be in its future.

Reactions
The refresh so far looks good. Though I wish (hope) to see the triple L LEDs in some form or another.

Will the ES 350 have the new 3.5 D4S engine? Will we see an ES 200t or anyone think this engine may be out-of-character?

Improved lower interior hard plastics and Nav display?
I agree. Wish they did add the triple L LED's. But I think everyone is hoping to see a revised interior to have more rich materials instead of the hard plastics

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Honestly, the L-shaped DRL and the headlight look a bit awkward to me. Hopefully it turns out well when we see the whole thing.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I like it! An expectedly nicely done exterior refresh from the looks of it. Personally however I am more interested on what interior changes they made :)! That and any possible powertrain changes/additions.

Reactions
Ok, the headlight just looks weird and out of proportion. What's with the DRL running into the projectors?..and the swoosh looks really short. #notfeelingit

Reactions
I hope that the F-Sport trim will be finally available even on the ES: At least even if FWD, the ES has a very good handling supported by an excellent base so the F-Sport trim with improvements in the suspension compartment (beside the exterior differences) make a lot sense.

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
With this design, why does the hoodline not trace itself around the top of the entire grille?!
I am very happy with this headlight design. When the current generation GS first debuted, I was so afraid that the DRL would make every Lexus headlight look nearly identical to each other! People need to see what the designers are going for rather than what is there. In real life, things will look as the designers intended, especially in the right color. Hopefully, Lexus will be able to do what the designers actually wanted.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
On a second look at the headlight and the DRL, It still loosk a bit odd probably because of the angle and no reference to the rest of the body shape. However, as the DRL goes into the headlight, I wonder how can they achieve it physically? DRL and headlight housing are all in one piece? Unlikely ...

RAL

Reactions
This looks to be a new iteration of the spindle with the top proportions more expansive.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Not in love with this, but it will be better than the current model, which is pretty poorly done, to be honest.

The grille itself looks strong, but the DRL should come across the lights, not cut in between them, and the grille should meet the hood. I don't see why there has to be another piece between the hood and the grille. It's gigantic now, and should be removed entirely.
BD

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
I think it'll turn out sharp looking. What does the ES compete with, TL, Regal/Lacross, S60, Maxima?

D

DDas

I love it! But...why are they showing this before the GS? The current GS was debuted before the current ES, yet the ES is getting the update first. The GSF also just came out. I thought they would want to show the updated version soon, but I guess not.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I love it! But...why are they showing this before the GS? The current GS was debuted before the current ES, yet the ES is getting the update first.

The timeline of the updated GS is likely determined by the GS F launch, which won't be happening until later in the year.

Reactions: CIF