New INFINITI concept car will make world debut at Detroit

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Hong Kong – INFINITI will debut a new concept car at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January 2018.

The concept previews a new generation of INFINITI vehicles and represents the first manifestation of INFINITI's new form language.

"As a new wave of technologies begins to take shape, our Detroit concept car heralds a new generation of INFINITI. A seamless and stunning new design philosophy demonstrating INFINITI artistry in the new age of autonomy and breakthrough drivetrains. In Detroit, shown alongside Prototype 9, INFINITI aims to showcase a new elegance, one that strikes harmony and simplicity in a complex world."

Alfonso Albaisa, SVP Global Design

"The new INFINITI concept car will take the traditional sedan architecture to its next stage of evolution. A shift toward smarter, more compact and less intrusive powertrains; we were able to create an alternative form with flowing gestures, more engaging in character and more enriching in experience. With its long cabin, balanced proportions and muscular stance, the concept heralds in a new era for INFINITI models."

Karim Habib, INFINITI Executive Design Director

The new INFINITI concept will be revealed in Detroit on January 15, 2018, at 12:35 p.m. EST. Full media information will be available from www.infinitipresspacks.com

http://infinitinews.com/en-US/infin...-concept-car-will-make-world-debut-at-detroit

Infiniti-Detroit-02.jpg

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
From what I see there, it looks like bits of the new Camry's design language more than something new. Will be interested to see the whole car though.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
damn that looks awesome. Might make a lot of sense if they actually produce it and make it hatchback like the stinger. I can see the GS going this route also.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I am a fan of the GT-R but it seems that is where the front grill got inspiration from. It just is painted body color on the concept with some changes obviously.

The thing for me is Kia, Hyundai, Infiniti, Mazda to me share very similar lines. I find Mazda to really nail things. I am a huge fan of the Q50 styling.

2018-nissan-gtr-white-large.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
tumblr_nvgw8lz2GD1tfn6k7o1_500.gif

Infiniti seems to be trying to "up" the grill trend by putting a grill inside a grill. I wish they wouldn't.

With that said... am I seeing a bit of homage to the Infiniti grill from the late 90s?

used-1999-infiniti-q45-basetrim-8730-8649253-6-640.jpg

Reactions: CIF

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yeah it does seem vertical slants again. Past the grill I assume this is a 4 door coupe. It must be aerodynamic its very raindrop like. The huge glass roof is nice. I guess this is for the next Q70 first which is very old at this point.

I just noticed they dropped the weird C pillar on the currant cars...

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Infiniti Q Inspiration Concept Lands In Detroit Boasting Near-Future Tech

Infiniti has unveiled the Q Inspiration Concept at NAIAS 2018, a car that reflects the automaker's new design language, while also featuring a VC-Turbo variable compression ratio engine and autonomous drive tech.

Aesthetically, the concept boasts classical sedan forms, though with coupe-like proportions and an elongated silhouette. Out in front, it has a large double-arch grille, sharp louvres along the sides of the hood, and blade-like vents flanking the wheel arches.

Other notable exterior design features would be the sharp LED strip headlamps, pillar-less rear-hinged doors and the single rear light strip.

Inside, it's all very concise and minimalist, with a human-centric cabin that's said to reduce the "noise" of the interior, helping the driver focus entirely on the road ahead. Each passenger gets a touch screen (HMI - Human Machine Interface), as the system can also monitor the occupants' biometrics.

"The Q Inspiration interior is reduced to a minimalist expression of wellbeing and comfort, and strives to create a warm and uncompromisingly modern atmosphere, like one so often finds in Tokyo residential architecture. The purpose being to enable users in a new era of connectivity, while simultaneously enriching the driving experience with materials of the best quality, crafted by the hands of the artist," stated Infiniti design exec, Karim Habib.

Speaking of high-quality materials, the Q Inspiration cabin's inside door pockets are lined with a 'Nishijin-ori' material, which includes golden washi paper shreds woven with silk threads. Aside from the luxury factor, this material also acts as a high tech sensor, allowing passengers to switch on and adjust the pocket lighting.

Underneath the hood, the Q Inspiration's VC-Turbo powertrain continually adjusts its compression ratio in order to optimize fuel efficiency. According to the Japanese automaker, this engine will offer a new approach to power delivery in the mid-size sedan segment, challenging the notion that only hybrid or diesel engines can deliver a high torque figure or good fuel economy.

As for safety, the Q Inspiration previews the next stage of development for Infiniti's ProPILOT autonomous drive system, which still aims at ultimately allowing drivers to retain control over their vehicle, acting as a co-pilot of sorts. However, when the driver is ready to kick back and relax, the system will provide end-to-end autonomous capability, with multi-lane highway driving and intersection auto-navigation functionalities.

infiniti-q-inspiration-unveiled-detroit-1.jpg

infiniti-q-inspiration-unveiled-detroit-2.jpg

infiniti-q-inspiration-unveiled-detroit-3.jpg

infiniti-q-inspiration-unveiled-detroit-4.jpg

infiniti-q-inspiration-unveiled-detroit-5.jpg

infiniti-q-inspiration-unveiled-detroit-6.jpg

infiniti-q-inspiration-unveiled-detroit-7.jpg

infiniti-q-inspiration-unveiled-detroit-8.jpg

infiniti-q-inspiration-unveiled-detroit-9.jpg

infiniti-q-inspiration-unveiled-detroit-10.jpg

infiniti-q-inspiration-unveiled-detroit-11.jpg

infiniti-q-inspiration-unveiled-detroit-12.jpg

infiniti-q-inspiration-unveiled-detroit-13.jpg

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I just noticed they dropped the weird C pillar on the currant cars...
Yeah, I noticed right away that they moved away from the semicircular/crescent-shaped C-pillar and I'm glad they did. To me, it was just being different for different's sake, and not particularly attractive. To my eye, it particularly ruined the Q60 coupe's styling.

Autoblog chatted with Infiniti design chief (and Cuban-born compatriot of mine) Alfonso Albaisa and one interesting thing he noted is that the vertical grille slats have an accidental trompe l'oeil effect that makes them disappear if you look at them from the side.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/15/infiniti-q-inspiration-concept-design/?hcid=ab-around-ab-tile-3

I feel ambivalent about the front but this will, I think, give the Lexus LF-1 Limitless a run for the money when it comes time to choosing the EyesOn Design award for Best Concept Vehicle.