New EV rechargers

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
454077.jpg

Today, for the first time, I noticed, next to a local Safeway store near my house (Safeway is a nationwide chain) a couple of new EV recharging stations. I don't know a lot about the program...but apparently it is part of a system called Plug-Share. This particular Safeway store also sells gas, under its own brand name, in a conventional gas station on its lot.

https://www.plugshare.com/widget.html

If so, this will be a long-awaited boost in the availability of EV charge-outlets outside California....particularly for those, like me, who live in homes that don't have outside or garage-outlets built in. However, just what specific EV vehicles these Plug-Share units will fit is also an open question. I may be wrong, but, as I understand it, Teslas have a non-standard outlet on their vehicles that fits only Tesla-suppled outlets.

I'd appreciate it if anyone who has experience with these Plug-Share outlets and/or what EV or plug-in-hybrid vehicles they fit would post or share with us. Thanks.
smile.gif

MM

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The two major standards right now are CHAdeMO (which TMC co-designed and which most US-model EVs and PHEVs use, including the Prius Prime) and SAE J1772 (which is most common outside of the US). US-model Teslas come with an adapter to use CHAdeMO chargers.

And EV chargers are starting to be relatively common in Baltimore, so I'm surprised there aren't many in DC. My workplace now has 4 chargers which the public can use with a credit card, a nearby Royal Farms gas station/c-store has I think 6 or 8 of them, and a couple of large shopping centers have some parking spaces with chargers.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The two major standards right now are CHAdeMO (which TMC co-designed and which most US-model EVs and PHEVs use, including the Prius Prime) and SAE J1772 (which is most common outside of the US). US-model Teslas come with an adapter to use CHAdeMO chargers.

And EV chargers are starting to be relatively common in Baltimore, so I'm surprised there aren't many in DC. My workplace now has 4 chargers which the public can use with a credit card, a nearby Royal Farms gas station/c-store has I think 6 or 8 of them, and a couple of large shopping centers have some parking spaces with chargers.

^^^^^Good. The more of them we get outside of California, the better.

I hope that also come with locks or other security devices on the plugs or outlets themselves. I don't want to give bored kids or teen-agers any more bad ideas (they come up with enough of them on their own LOL), but the last thing that EV owners need is a bunch of brats going around pulling the plugs off of charging vehicles just for kicks.