New concept car for Geneva Motor show.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Lexus-Geneva-2015-lexus.jpg

Lexus Geneva 2015 concept won't be new LFA supercar

Lexus rules out an LFA successor at Geneva show, mystery car could be near-production version of LF-LC concept

Lexus has confirmed it will stage a 'world premiere' of a new Lexus concept at the Geneva Motor Show in March. A spokesman at the firm has quashed rumours it could be a successor to the LFA supercar, so we predict it will be a further evolution of the LF LC coupe shown back in 2012.

The speculation of a new LFA began when the Japanese firm released an image of its Geneva showstand layout. In the picture, production models such as the new GS F saloon can be seen, with the LF-C2 convertible concept taking pride of place. But to the left is a platform or stage hidden behind a cover, with a picture of the 2010 LFA model beside it.

But when asked about a successor to the £340,000 supercar appearing, a Lexus spokesman said that "couldn't be further from the truth". He went on to describe the new concept as "range-oriented" rather than an exclusive supercar built in small numbers. Whatever the "future-facing" concept is, its design will influence the firm's models in the years to come.

Our best guess is the new car will be a revised, more production-ready evolution of the stunning LF LC coupe concept, that appeared on showstands back at the 2012 Detroit Motor Show and was cited for production by Lexus bosses. But it could even be a replacement for the CT200h hybrid hatchback.

We'll have full details on the concept at its unveiling on 3rd of March when our reporters head to Geneva.

Source: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/90286/lexus-geneva-2015-concept-wont-be-new-lfa-supercar

While I would love to see an updated LF-LC concept, I do think an RX concept is more likely. "range-oriented" makes me think the LF-LC is out. IS, GS, ES, NX, CT and other "core" models are all too new to warrant a new concept... RX is the only thing that makes sense to me.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I don't think it would be a LF LC since isn't that still 2-3 years away? Would love to make it to this show one day!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^I thought LF-LC was supposed to be 3-4 years away when it was introduced to much fanfare in 2012? lol.

mikeavelli

Reactions
^I thought LF-LC was supposed to be 3-4 years away when it was introduced to much fanfare in 2012? lol.

It was NOT 2012? No way.....was it? Okay then maybe it is the LF-LC. I'm just speculating when new power trains will be ready for it.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Yeah, it was originally shown in January 2012 at NAIAS. More than three years ago now - crazy how time flies!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
It was NOT 2012? No way.....was it? Okay then maybe it is the LF-LC. I'm just speculating when new power trains will be ready for it.

An updated LF-LC concept would have been better suited beside the GS F in Detroit, but would Lexus really debut an RX concept outside of North America?

This is a tough one to guess -- maybe an LS concept?

Bomber Pete

Founding Member
Reactions
My bet is the RX - focusing on Hybrid as this would make sense seeming the huge growth in Hybrid vehicles in UK/Europe.
RX cannot be that far away...
What are the remaining North America Motor Shows????

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

Bomber Pete

Founding Member
Reactions
A car smaller than the CT would be a great addition to the range. As awesome as the performance vehicles are, they are not volume selling cars. The more Lexus on the road, the better it is for the brand.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Lexus "swore" they would not create a sub-CT model, though that car in the back does look Yaris-sized. o_O

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Lexus "swore" they would not create a sub-CT model, though that car in the back does look Yaris-sized. o_O

I think Lexus meant that they would not be going below that "$30,000ish" threshold. IS starts at $37k so if they had a CT-based sedan and priced it at $31k or $32k... there's still a place in the lineup for a car like that, I think.

Do I like it? No.

Do they need it in Europe? Yes.

Audi, BMW, Mercedes are already in this segment and Cadillac will be joining soon. Such a car might not make it's way Stateside... although it could? Who knows.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
I think Lexus meant that they would not be going below that "$30,000ish" threshold. IS starts at $37k so if they had a CT-based sedan and priced it at $31k or $32k... there's still a place in the lineup for a car like that, I think.

Do I like it? No.

Audi, BMW, Mercedes are already in this segment and Cadillac will be joining soon. Such a car might not make it's way Stateside... although it could? Who knows.

Help me to understand. Why would anyone, including Europeans, want a CT with even less cargo room?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

Do I like it? No.

I think a small sedan would be a global vehicle, any new vehicle that Lexus develops needs to be for a worldwide audience. It's tough -- my understanding of the European driver is that hatchbacks and wagons are the standard, so what is the appeal of a small sedan?

Hopefully some of our international members can share some insight.

Bomber Pete

Founding Member
Reactions
The two fastest growing segments in the Australian motor industry are small compact and small compact SUV - neither of which Lexus are players so any addition to either of these categories would be beneficial to the brand. The picture looks to me like a small SUV - CX???

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
The two fastest growing segments in the Australian motor industry are small compact and small compact SUV - neither of which Lexus are players so any addition to either of these categories would be beneficial to the brand. The picture looks to me like a small SUV - CX???

I wouldn't read too much into the actual photo -- pretty sure it's a placeholder for the actual concept.

What classifies as a small compact in Australia?

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
The only major show left is New York -- after that, it's not until LA in November.

I doubt anything major is unveiled, but there's still the Canadian International Autoshow in Toronto starting Feb 13. I'll be going.