New Adaptive Headlights to Debut on 2020 Lexus RX Crossovers Outside North America

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Joaquin Ruhi

New Adaptive Headlights to Debut on 2020 Lexus RX Crossovers Outside North America
19-06-05-lexus-bladescan-headlights.jpg

Not compatible with US laws.
View the original article post

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Never understood quite good why the adaptive headlights are not available in the U.S. whereas we get this item in EU. Is it regulation? And what is the reason behind the regulation?

Edit: Oh, sorry, I was too quick and didn't read the message below the images in the topic opening post... Understood :blush:;)

Last edited:
Reactions
I get that U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108 is terribly outdated and needs fixed. However Lexus can and has had good adaptive headlights that make it safer to drive at night. Both of my LSs and my GS with Luxury package had AFS and it was pretty good. I traded in my Luxury GS for an F Sport GS and was surprised that the F Sport did not have AFS and it was quite noticeable at night where I live. When I got the RC 350 F Sport I special ordered it with the triple beam LED headlights hoping they would be better but THEY ARE TERRIBLE. At night we only drive my BMW because it has AFS and turning lights. I like Lexus and BMW, but for safe night driving Lexus needs to do so much better.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Lexus Japan just released a very detailed video illustrating exactly how the new BladeScan Adaptive High-beam System works. I'm astounded by the innovative approach of how it is implemented. A must watch! It makes it so much more frustrating and baffling why this industry-leading technology isn't coming to North America.

Don't worry about not knowing Japanese. The video can be easily understood without knowing the language:

This innovative approach is simply an application of this though: :D
51-BKDLr9oL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
This is also similar to the DLP (micro-mirror) rear-projection TVs that were briefly popular in the mid-2000s. I had one because they were cheaper than plasma and had a much better picture than LCD/LED, but most consumers rejected them because they weren't flat.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
A pretty cool tech feature that the general consumer will never understand to appreciate.