Need advice on buying Lexus

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
My colleague/friend just dropped off my newish 2012 CT200h. I thought she opted for the F Sport package but it only had the most basic Touring package with sunroof and 17" wheels. Oh well. Those were the only options she told me about but mentioned F Sport which raised my hopes.

I am not complaining since it was for a decent $5,900 CAD. Hopefully there really isn't anything wrong with it like the carbon build up in the EGR valve and/or intake manifold leading to head gasket issues (not really a super hands on guy but did read up on those issues) but my friend agreed to give me back $500 if I do encounter those issues within my first year of ownership. She said no rough idling or crazy vibration on cold starts.

Will need to buy cheap 3D mats and unrust some rusting bolts near the shocks on the lift gate and check the car out more thoroughly in April, when it gets much warmer.

May also get a protective film on the hood just in case though my friend gave me a touch up pen that could be as old as the vehicle. :). I am now officially a Lexus Enthusiast!!!

20200229_173732.jpg20200229_173723.jpg20200229_173714.jpg20200229_173702.jpg

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Congrats! I remember my first Lexus as it was yesterday! 4 years later she's still a beauty. Welcome to the family!

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I say go for it if you really want it christopherjuarez602.

Congratulations internalaudit for getting a CT 200h! I love my CT and it has been a great vehicle for what it is...

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
@internalaudit , huge congratulations! Love those wheels!

What's your opinion for these first rides? How it drives?

Hopefully you’ll get lots of trouble free miles.

I haven't registered the car under my name yet. Will definitely share my thoughts once I register and drive it around, coming from driving an 02 Civic and 11 Accord coupe.

Overnight it went as cold as -10c. At 10 am, I started the car and none of that jackhammer vibration on a cold start. My lady friend was an aggressive driver (confirmed too with the car mode left in sport mode haha) so maybe that's why there may be little carbon deposit build up lol.

Will1991

Reactions
The biggest difference I feel when I drive my sister Auris, is how quite it is, how relaxed it’s to drive it during rush hour... It's a whole different experience.

Did she stated her usual fuel economy?

The first time I see your pictures I kind of wanted to go there, snow with sun and clear sky looks perfect, and -10C (pending humidity) is not that bad, in 2018 I had to travel to Sweden for business, and it was frozen snow with -21C... Well, it wasn’t easy 😅

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
The biggest difference I feel when I drive my sister Auris, is how quite it is, how relaxed it’s to drive it during rush hour... It's a whole different experience.

Did she stated her usual fuel economy?

The first time I see your pictures I kind of wanted to go there, snow with sun and clear sky looks perfect, and -10C (pending humidity) is not that bad, in 2018 I had to travel to Sweden for business, and it was frozen snow with -21C... Well, it wasn’t easy 😅

With most women, I doubt they bother with fuel economy (think SUV craze). My wife and daughter don't care and can't even tell if tanks are really empty by doing some arithmetic. They don't know the average fuel economy outside and during winter time.

Right now it says 6L/100km. I may just do the makeshift grill blockers next winter. It really works to keep engine bay warm lol. Wish we had the climate of Portugal and also the national beverage of wine and beer instead of the more expensive bottled water.

I will extend same invitation to you when you ever visit to see Niagara falls, the only reason to visit Toronto lol.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
@internalaudit , huge congratulations! Love those wheels!

What's your opinion for these first rides? How it drives?

Hopefully you’ll get lots of trouble free miles.

So I drove on city roads yesterday, about 30 kilometers each way to get a safety inspection so that I can register it under my name. I managed to get everything done yesterday (safety, transfer of ownership and a good test drive).

I initially found the brakes to be grabby (likely owing to moisture as it was raining the past few days) just moving in and out of the driveway (it wasn't registered and insured until yesterday) but I had to pay for new rear brake rotors and pads to get the safety certificate as the ones on the vehicle had not been replaced and it already has close to 193,000 km. Braking is now much better although I try to use regen braking as much as possible.

Steering feel for a regular CT (this is not an F Sport) was surprisingly good and so was handling on slightly twisty roads at 70 km/h and on two roundabouts doing around 40-50. It's also quite nimble compare to my 11 Accord coupe going through a neighborhood "fake" roundabout. Much better in fact that my 02 Civic 5 MT (kinda obvious lol) and 16 RAV4H (kinda obvious too). I think the lower center of gravity and 17" wheels also help though its fitted with the Michelin green winter tires. Ride is also very forgiving, even with the 17" wheels and going over small potholes and railroad tracks between 50-55.

I put the car in ECO mode right after I took over the ownership and have gotten use to the seemingly slow get up from stand still but acceleration is more than adequate for sure. It's just that I don't really do jack rabbit starts especially on hybrids because I know they can get better fuel economy by having the motors assist initially. I still don't understand why past reviewers think this comes with a CVT. I don't even feel any fake shifts going from 0-60 km/h, the fake shifts are more pronounced on our RAV4H.

16.6 km per liter or 6.1 L / 100 km is what I got during the drive. It's still hovering around zero here in Toronto but getting warmer.

I have sat inside the new Corolla hatchback and tried sitting behind myself and I am confident the CT has a little bit more leg room for the passenger, may another 2-3 inches.

All in all, it's a pretty nice ride. Bluetooth streaming works but is no good as cranking the volume is required so I just use the USB port.

Because the stock wheels are current mounted to the winter tires and contain the TPMS, I'm thinking of just getting these in 17" for the all season tires because they are light and are flow form, which I read is more durable against shattering. Forged are better but too heavy.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
For Bluetooth streaming, at least on iOS, the phone's volume setting does impact it. I have mine about halfway up in order to get reasonable volume with the car's controls.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
For Bluetooth streaming, at least on iOS, the phone's volume setting does impact it. I have mine about halfway up in order to get reasonable volume with the car's controls.

Nice tip. I will play with it over the wekeend Ian.

I tried my Android S10+, put it at 80% (if not slightly more) and still had to crank the volume to 40's haha.

It will be great to work as you mentioned on my 6s because it's now used more like an iPod to listen to Spotify albums haha.

Will1991

Reactions
6L/100km doesn't sound all that bad given 0 C air temperature.

Regarding Toyota hybrids gearbox, not even after more than 20 years some car journalists really know how they really work....

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
So I drove on city roads yesterday, about 30 kilometers each way to get a safety inspection so that I can register it under my name. I managed to get everything done yesterday (safety, transfer of ownership and a good test drive).

I initially found the brakes to be grabby (likely owing to moisture as it was raining the past few days) just moving in and out of the driveway (it wasn't registered and insured until yesterday) but I had to pay for new rear brake rotors and pads to get the safety certificate as the ones on the vehicle had not been replaced and it already has close to 193,000 km. Braking is now much better although I try to use regen braking as much as possible.

You may already be familiar with the feel of the brakes on a Lexus Hybrid, but here is a reminder.

The braking on my ES Hybrid is very smooth and linear, as long as I am smooth on the brake pedal and do not jump on it. If I am heavy on the brake pedal, the vehicle decides that I want to brake quickly and it does not apply regenerative braking, skipping straight to the mechanical braking, which grabs much more than the regenerative braking.

It helps to let off the brake pedal a little as you are about to stop; this is the "do not be too heavy on the brake pedal" thing. If you maintain -- or even increase -- pressure on the pedal, mechanical braking jumps in aggressively and the car stops very suddenly. You will soon learn this. People who are not familiar with hybrid vehicle braking continue to blame Toyota's regenerative to mechanical braking transition, claiming that it is not smooth enough.

Regenerative braking also is not applied at slow speeds, when there is little energy to be regained, so only mechanical brakes are applied.

6L/100km doesn't sound all that bad given 0 C air temperature.

I am able to achieve 6L/100km of fuel efficiency on long-distance drives in my ESh. I achieved that as an average (meaning I achieved better and worse instantaneous fuel consumption figures during the drive) during our road trip vacation last summer, loaded with 5 passengers and a full trunk. The CTh should be able to get better than 6L/100km.

Will1991

Reactions
@Sulu , 6L/100km at what kind of speeds? It's quite a big car, full of people with luggage, it's quite good! Don't know if a 520d or a E220CDI would do better. But given it was his first time with it and everyone gets carried away the first times, it has performed technical inspections, cold weather... Everything takes some fuel.

@internalaudit , two tips (it should work the same way as the 3G Prius and my sister Auris), when you want full regenerative brakes you can use the Cruise Control stack.
Imagine you're going downhill, if you turn on CC and press "-" on the cruise control stack, it will brake with max regen without using friction brakes.
And avoid doing "N" on the gearbox as it drains traction battery away, always do "P" or just keep "D" instead.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Sulu probably has the latest ES300h.

Good tip on using the CC and braking technique.

I don't even bother trying to keep our hybrids in EV mode after realizing it's one sure fire way to degrade the Ni-Mh batteries lol.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions

I just put the 6s at full volume and volume on the radio is set to around 30. Works much better than on my Android phone. :)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
My fuel economy with the gasoline-only Camry driving in Seattle area at sub-zero C was about 5.7L/100km and 6.4L/100km on the gas-only RAV4 in Boston area.

As time goes by you will get better and better at optimizing your fuel economy with hybrids. I improved my numbers with the BYD Qin PHV by about 25% over half a year and that's including a quite harsh winter. You need to know your commute routes to pre-plan load-shifting and regens, on their latest hybrids the computer does that for you.

The big thing dragging down your fuel economy might be heating. Those early Toyota/Lexus hybrids use resistance heaters that really deplete the battery badly. And AFAIK those early systems also don't have the exhaust heat recovery system to extract extra heating from the ICE.

Will1991

Reactions
I don't remember if they have resistive heating, but from 2009 (3rd HSD system) they have exhaust heat recovery to help engine get up to temperature faster:

1reFeA3NknmLh1W4l6B3rBNeCL9XsUFTVE4X4rtq2mY7rT-mm9Vg_WnIIw7DFoad-aXTdqqewGzJHS8-cDrDVDIUfYEH-J3KLgs

sPo-HEhx2nUOpIZyQ6XqzH4PO2zc0DNg1FCI8R0MqXsZc6IIfxtXz-iuhR2ykVdnfMjWuc4PHCuCzutfcjUaxrtdihhFnFJa9YY