Mystery Lexus RX Spotted in Europe

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Lexus is working on some subtle updates for its top-selling RX.

The updated model is expected on sale in 2018, as a 2019 model. And arriving alongside it will be a stretched RX L with seven seats split over three rows.

The current generation of the mid-size RX was only introduced for 2016 so Lexus isn’t likely to introduce too many changes with this update. From the spy shots we can only spot a tiny bit of camouflage gear on the taillights, suggesting some revisions here.

It’s not clear what else Lexus has in store for its updated RX. One possibility is a new powertrain option to complement the RX 350 and RX 450h options we already get here.

The most likely option would be Lexus adding an RX 300 equipped with the same 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-4 fitted to the NX 300. The engine is good for 235 horsepower. The current RX 350 sports a 300-hp 3.5-liter V-6, while the current RX 450h comes with a V-6-based hybrid setup good for 308 hp.

Though it’s yet to be confirmed, we hear Lexus will unveil the updated RX in 3-row RX L guise late this year.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1112294_2019-lexus-rx-spy-shots

2019-lexus-rx-facelift-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100618875_h.jpg

2019-lexus-rx-facelift-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100618876_h.jpg

2019-lexus-rx-facelift-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100618877_h.jpg

2019-lexus-rx-facelift-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100618878_h.jpg

2019-lexus-rx-facelift-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100618879_h.jpg

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions

Its possible. I taught about the multistage hybrid because they covered the hybrid logo too. Honestly there is too much going on at Lexus right now that its hard to keep up. first there is an LS running around with no camo but a visible rear spoiler. And now this RX just hiding its badge. what's funny to me is why hide the Lexus badge we all know it's a Lexus.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
It quite possibly is the refreshed RX. Or, it could be a number of things!

Toyota Motor Corporation, masters at vehicle camouflage, throwing us off as usual :D.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Much ado about nothing. I read the Quattroruote original story and, even without running it through Google Translate, it's clear they think it's just hiding elements of the mid-cycle facelift due soon.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Much ado about nothing. I read the Quattroruote original story and, even without running it through Google Translate, it's clear they think it's just hiding elements of the mid-cycle facelift due soon.

But what elements? No way a refresh would leave the grille & bumpers alone and just change up the rear tail lights.

It's just weird. And why are there so many people inside? The RX is packed!

A hybrid with visible exhaust tips? ;)

TOTALLY missed that. Good catch -- I've updated the original post with your insight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Its possible. I taught about the multistage hybrid because they covered the hybrid logo too. Honestly there is too much going on at Lexus right now that its hard to keep up. first there is an LS running around with no camo but a visible rear spoiler. And now this RX just hiding its badge. what's funny to me is why hide the Lexus badge we all know it's a Lexus.

Too long won't fit. Too expensive won't sell. No RX500h.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
But what elements? No way a refresh would leave the grille & bumpers alone and just change up the rear tail lights.
Well, they did cover the Lexus "circle L" badge up front, making it look like a cheap Chinese RX knockoff... ;)

Seriously, that is a valid point.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Just because it's a production body doesn't mean it's all production underneath ;).

The random camouflage is definitely meant to confuse. Good point krew that it is packed inside. That combined with a trailer hitch, and driving on a windy mountainous-looking road could mean it is a powertrain test. Or it could be a payload or towing test. Or it could be a test of any number of other systems including suspension or A/C.

Michael

Fan
Reactions
I am guessing Lexus could be testing a new hybrid powertrain for the RX or a new gasoline power plant for their future vehicles. They also be testing the hybrid system for the new 3 row RX or the next generation Toyota Harrier.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Just because it's a production body doesn't mean it's all production underneath ;).

The random camouflage is definitely meant to confuse. Good point krew that it is packed inside. That combined with a trailer hitch, and driving on a windy mountainous-looking road could mean it is a powertrain test. Or it could be a payload or towing test. Or it could be a test of any number of other systems including suspension or A/C.

Makes good amount of sense. Mountain roads and towing are good tests for hybrid systems under high electric load.

Reactions
It has to be the 3.5 biturbo engine from the recently showed LS500. Finally a lexus SUV with enough power! And probably a midlife facelift, which does not change much of the exteriors (IS facelift changed visually only the bumpers and head/rear lights). If it is RX500 and it will be available in Europe, I will buy it immediately!

Pretty sure it is not RX with 2.0 turbo, because RX200t is already sold in Europe, so that is nothing new. And I mean come on - Toyota/Lexus did not develop the 3.5 biturbo in order to sell it only with the new LS. It costed multiple millions to develop such an engine and there is clearly a demand for more powerful powertrain in luxury SUVs. The competition offers way more powerful SUVs already.

Last edited:

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Nothing of all this makes sense. Why would they hide a badge and rear light units if they are only testing a new powertrain? If nobody looks in the engine bay, it won't be noticed. However, it is true that the multi stage transmission is told to make its future appearance in more Lexus models...

Just testing the quality of the camouflage tape or just catching the attention of the car spies for fun... :D Who knows...

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly I think from the next generations of the popular models there must be all hybrid either partly as the new A8 or full hybrid as what lexus doing now

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
Nothing of all this makes sense. Why would they hide a badge and rear light units if they are only testing a new powertrain? If nobody looks in the engine bay, it won't be noticed. However, it is true that the multi stage transmission is told to make its future appearance in more Lexus models...

Just testing the quality of the camouflage tape or just catching the attention of the car spies for fun... :D Who knows...

What a fortune that some camouflage was used, otherwise, this would have completely escaped us.
Well done to the camouflage !

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I was about to say the V35A-FTS, designed for longitudinal platforms, will not fit in the 4RX because it will be larger than the 2GR. But then I found that the 4RX has such a huge engine bay (for a transverse platform, at least) that Lexus can literally put a 5.0L V8 in it.