Motor Trend: Lexus LC 500 & LC 500h Instrumented Test

mikeavelli

Reactions
I don't know...beyond nice camera work and excellent sound it really was the usual automotive journalism nonsense where the reporter puts Lexus "on trial" for being bland/lacking identity/lacking character/lacking heritage/being derivative/being too different from the Germans and so on. Then the reporter alternates between being the prosecution and the defense and finally judge and jury,usually handing out a suspended sentence of essentially "not bad for a non-German car brand". I continue to not get along with the automotive press...

Hhahhahaha!!! That was good!

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I don't know...beyond nice camera work and excellent sound it really was the usual automotive journalism nonsense where the reporter puts Lexus "on trial" for being bland/lacking identity/lacking character/lacking heritage/being derivative/being too different from the Germans and so on. Then the reporter alternates between being the prosecution and the defense and finally judge and jury,usually handing out a suspended sentence of essentially "not bad for a non-German car brand". I continue to not get along with the automotive press...

I agree, [but I will say that there are parts of the video and some points made that were great]. However, this review, IMHO, is presented as entertainment first with an attempt to be funny about not understanding what kind of car the LC was designed to be. The review is second, and it's not a thorough review (although the published review is more thorough and balanced). The LC not a sports car, and is not intended to be a 911 GT. We all know that, at least we should. So, he gets down on it b/c it doesn't handle (presumably) like a sports car (a 911? or what?). He is crestfallen b/c the LC just isn't doing it for him; but then it dawns on him that the LC is not a sports car. Perhaps had he done his homework, he might have started the review in the right category. I think he also could have spent more time reviewing the hybrid, which appears to be a very unique hybrid sports coupe with an impressive ride and statistics.

Anyway, Lasse, you make some great points. The putting Lexus on trial and the subtle :laughing: worship of German car brands doesn't do it for me. BTW, regarding German luxury car brands, what I know to expect are costly repairs and maintenance, limited longevity of any reliability, and an apparent lack of concern for customers. Just because I know what to expect from Mercedes, doesn't mean that what I expect are good things.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Wait a minute, hold the presses, did anyone else catch two very significant pieces of information from that video?

1.) You cannot change radio stations while the LC is moving. Seriously? Is Lexus for real? This is absolutely ridiculous and asinine IMHO. This could be a real dealbreaker for some people. If I was in the market for a luxury coupe, this would be a potential dealbreaker personally if this is non-defeatable.

2.) The review car was equipped with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Now I thought, according to the LC press release and tech specs, that *only* run flats were available on the LC? So suddenly this is not true anymore? It seems typical now that for many Toyota and Lexus models, options and features remain a big mystery, even after full press releases and tech specs come out. I guess with all future Lexus models, one truly won't know the extent of options and features until you go to your local dealer, analyze all available information, examine the vehicle thoroughly, and maybe even contact Lexus corporate if need be. Personally I find it extremely disappointing that Lexus is so mysterious and also inconsistent nowadays with the exact features and options of each model. The fact that one now has to do so much work and research just to find out the *exact* features and options of a Lexus model is thoroughly disappointing.

You took the words right out of my mouth :praise::thumbsup:.

This is why I almost never pay attention to most media reviews these days. Sure the audio and visuals were nice, but substance-wise it was pretty hollow.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Wait a minute, hold the presses, did anyone else catch two very significant pieces of information from that video?

1.) You cannot change radio stations while the LC is moving. Seriously? Is Lexus for real? This is absolutely ridiculous and asinine IMHO. This could be a real dealbreaker for some people. If I was in the market for a luxury coupe, this would be a potential dealbreaker personally if this is non-defeatable.

Yes, I caught the statement that you can't change radio stations while the LC is moving, but I don't believe that's an accurate statement (and will only find out once I get my LC next week). You should be able to change stations using the buttons on the steering wheel. When you select music when the speedometer has moved to the right, you can use the up and down arrows to scroll through stations. This is how it is with the RC. Perhaps now Lexus doesn't allow one to use the touch pad to change or search/scan stations as one can do with other models (like the RC and GS that I have had). nevertheless, this is my guess. But I can't believe that you can't change stations at all when the LC is moving. Perhaps Krew and Mikeavelli might know since they drove the 2 LC models recently in Spain. I will certainly comment on this thread once I have the first hand experience.

I also don't know enough about tires to pick up that the ones on the LC that MT drove were not run flats. I also thought that it only uses run flats. Can't see how there is room for a larger tire with the clearance. But IDK

Reactions: CIF
Reactions

2.) The review car was equipped with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Now I thought, according to the LC press release and tech specs, that *only* run flats were available on the LC? So suddenly this is not true anymore? It seems typical now that for many Toyota and Lexus models, options and features remain a big mystery, even after full press releases and tech specs come out. I guess with all future Lexus models, one truly won't know the extent of options and features until you go to your local dealer, analyze all available information, examine the vehicle thoroughly, and maybe even contact Lexus corporate if need be. Personally I find it extremely disappointing that Lexus is so mysterious and also inconsistent nowadays with the exact features and options of each model. The fact that one now has to do so much work and research just to find out the *exact* features and options of a Lexus model is thoroughly disappointing.

This is why I almost never pay attention to most media reviews these days. Sure the audio and visuals were nice, but substance-wise it was pretty hollow.
Alright. The Lexus LC 500 comes standard with either of three tires: The Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP or the Potenza S001L RFT and Turanza T005 RFT. They're all performance tires, designed exclusively for the LC but all are run-flats.

Reactions: RDS

RDS

Fan
Reactions
So, Lexus LC is just like Lexus NX & Lexus RX, make to looks like something that it totally wasn't. It's a shame they mated the amazing 5L V8 with a 4-speed automatic with 6 overdrive, would be nice if they pair with a close ratio box to get the most out of the engine.

I won't be surprised if Lexus LC's sales is a slacking worldwide.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
So, Lexus LC is just like Lexus NX & Lexus RX, make to looks like something that it totally wasn't. It's a shame they mated the amazing 5L V8 with a 4-speed automatic with 6 overdrive, would be nice if they pair with a close ratio box to get the most out of the engine.
As said in the review, that's the point. They spread out the gears because performance is not the main purpose of the vehicle. It is a Luxury Grand Tourer. It is designed for comfort.

I think what he means is that the infotainment system is so distracting and frustrating that it is nearly impossible to safely use the system while driving.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
So,

I won't be surprised if Lexus LC's sales is a slacking worldwide.

The LC is selling extremely well and will continue to sell extremely well in the future.

From my perspective, the LC is a performance luxury touring coupe. It has the amount of performance that I'm looking for and will unlikely access on a daily basis. IMHO Lexus is doing something qualitatively different in the luxury coupe market. The LC cannot be adequately compared quantitatively to the other luxury coupes (as in torque, as in 0-60 or 1/4 mile times). The LC is a bold move for Lexus that's based on their incredibly attractive LF LC. Things will continue along this line in future models (like the LC F).

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

In most cases, I would agree with you -- however, I liked Jason's humility in admitting he was wrong about the LC. Too often, I've seen these automotive guys form an opinion and refuse to waver from their position. We see it all the time with Lexus coverage, in that people still talk about all the things you mention.

Jason's conclusion is dead right -- no other car company could have built the LC, and it's absolutely perfect in capturing the essence of the brand while remaining fresh and relevant.

Reactions

I am not so sure about the non-ability to change radio stations while in motion. One thing that kills me, is that they never give any kudos to the voice recognition. It is at its best response level in all the years that I have been selling them. Instead they bag on the remote touch and sound like ignorant buffoons.
As far as tires, they are running on run-flats. They are putting Super Sports on the Sport package build and Bridgstone Turanza T005's on the Touring package. Hope that helps.

mikeavelli

Reactions
There was a time I was arguing on the internet over .1 second :D....I'll be honest the only numbers I kind of care about are the MPG of the LC 500h which is impressive. I do wish the seats had more adjustments.

Overall they scored an 8-10 on pretty much everything. And you have a car that looks exotic for a non exotic price. It drives fantastic, sounds fantastic (V-8) and goes fantastic. The interior is first rate. The features are great.

You are getting a concept car, something that wasn't to be built in your driveway.

Yes I am now in love with her.

The LC is selling extremely well and will continue to sell extremely well in the future.

I talked to Lexus Southern and 80% are spoken for already BUT they got a ton coming :D. They are very concerned about keeping momentum going and not just relying on this initial bang.

To me the styling is so good I just feel if the time isn't ready for someone now, it will in the future. The though of a used LC in the 50-60k range is mind boggling in a few years. You have what I consider a near exotic in looks.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, I caught the statement that you can't change radio stations while the LC is moving, but I don't believe that's an accurate statement (and will only find out once I get my LC next week). You should be able to change stations using the buttons on the steering wheel. When you select music when the speedometer has moved to the right, you can use the up and down arrows to scroll through stations. This is how it is with the RC. Perhaps now Lexus doesn't allow one to use the touch pad to change or search/scan stations as one can do with other models (like the RC and GS that I have had). nevertheless, this is my guess. But I can't believe that you can't change stations at all when the LC is moving. Perhaps Krew and Mikeavelli might know since they drove the 2 LC models recently in Spain. I will certainly comment on this thread once I have the first hand experience.

I also don't know enough about tires to pick up that the ones on the LC that MT drove were not run flats. I also thought that it only uses run flats. Can't see how there is room for a larger tire with the clearance. But IDK

Yeah, it will be appreciated once real LC owners such as yourself double check the radio station part. If it's only not allowed on the touchpad or center console but allowed on the steering controls, then the video should have been more clear.

Alright. The Lexus LC 500 comes standard with either of three tires: The Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP or the Potenza S001L RFT and Turanza T005 RFT. They're all performance tires, designed exclusively for the LC but all are run-flats.

Thank you for that clarification. I had no idea that run flat Super Sports existed. That is disappointing to hear then, and confirms all LC tires are run-flat only.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yeah, it will be appreciated once real LC owners such as yourself double check the radio station part. If it's only not allowed on the touchpad or center console but allowed on the steering controls, then the video should have been more clear.

Thank you for that clarification. I had no idea that run flat Super Sports existed. That is disappointing to hear then, and confirms all LC tires are run-flat only.

Hey CIF, I have to admit I usually HATE HATE HATE Run-Flats but this is a new technology tire. It drives very very good. Also note the LC has a relatively big sidewall for such a small car. This helps with the ride.

Its shockingly good for a run flat. Though I can only imagine without them :)

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Hey CIF, I have to admit I usually HATE HATE HATE Run-Flats but this is a new technology tire. It drives very very good. Also note the LC has a relatively big sidewall for such a small car. This helps with the ride.

Its shockingly good for a run flat. Though I can only imagine without them :)

I guess we'll have to get more real world experiences, and perhaps try them myself.

I personally get pretty picky about tire ride quality, so we shall see what owners say about them in the real world. So far, the reviews seem pretty good regarding ride quality.

A choice would have been great, but I can somewhat understand why it's run flat only for a car like the LC.

As for the rumors about the LS, I sincerely and truly hope that the LS will NOT have only run flats. IMHO that would be a terrible move.

RDS

Fan
Reactions
Y'all are aware that they got 3 years worth of preorders in Japan in the first month, and that US preorders were so far over expectations that they can't send any to Canada? :)

Lexus set a extremely low target of 50 units a month, that's why it seems like they sell quite well... and, if 1,800 units of preorders already gave them 3 years waiting list, it meant Lexus only produce the car in extremely low unit annually, that still doesn't makes it "selling extremely well".

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Lexus set a extremely low target of 50 units a month, that's why it seems like they sell quite well... and, if 1,800 units of preorders already gave them 3 years waiting list, it meant Lexus only produce the car in extremely low unit annually, that still doesn't makes it "selling extremely well".

this is significantly long list of pre-orders for japanese market where best selling vehicles are less than $20k. Porsche sold 300 vehicles in May 2017 in Japan. Ferrari sold 50.

50 is actually realistic number in 3-4 years when it gets older vehicle.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions

Are you sure it's only 50 per month? That doesn't make sense to me bc my dealership had 3 preorders all of which came between may 20 and may 30. And that's is one dealer in Indiana. Nationwide the numbers must be closer to 400, or higher. I heard, but this could be inaccurate, that Lexus was producing 400/month for the us market, but that number might be worldwide. Perhaps the 50/month is the figure once all American initial preorders are filled. Nonetheless they certainly have been producing more that 50/month for the us market in recent months

In any event I'm in Canada now and have had 2 different people come up to let me know that they can't get the car yet in Canada. However that might just be in the province of Quebec .