Reactions
krew
17-07-04-lexus-gs-f-sport-2017.jpg

The GS still has what it takes.
View the original article post

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I always love to see good news and reviews of the GS. It's a fantastic car.

Just as an aside, I was chatting with a Lexus exec at the Watkins Glen race and mentioned something about my love of the GS, my concern about rumors regarding it being discontinued, and the fact that I was waiting to see what would happen. He mentioned that, while he doesn't know anything with certainty, there are apparently plans afoot for a new platform / redesign of the GS. Once again, this is completely unofficial (and I have heard from others that there is a 50/50 chance that the GS will not live on). In any event, I like to hear that there is still hope. I'll buy the new redesigned GS if and when it comes out.

RAL

Reactions

Just as an aside, I was chatting with a Lexus exec at the Watkins Glen race and mentioned something about my love of the GS, my concern about rumors regarding it being discontinued, and the fact that I was waiting to see what would happen. He mentioned that, while he doesn't know anything with certainty, there are apparently plans afoot for a new platform / redesign of the GS. Once again, this is completely unofficial (and I have heard from others that there is a 50/50 chance that the GS will not live on). In any event, I like to hear that there is still hope. I'll buy the new redesigned GS if and when it comes out.

me too! ... too big a stretch between ES and LS ...

mikeavelli

Reactions

Nice to hear, hopefully its true. It really is one of my favorite drives at any price and the interior is very well done.

Reactions
Yep! The hybrid 450h won a comparison test against a Porsche Panamera and Infiniti M56 because of its drifting capability. One thing that bothers me is that the new 8-speed that they offer isn't as quick as the old 6-speed, and 0-60 times increased from 5.4 to 5.9 seconds for the sake of compliance.

Reactions
So what's stopping more buyers from getting into a GS? Besides crossovers/SUVs, it is the badge? I can only surmise that it IS the badge, and that since they're being leased, the badge is all that matters...

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
So what's stopping more buyers from getting into a GS? Besides crossovers/SUVs, it is the badge? I can only surmise that it IS the badge, and that since they're being leased, the badge is all that matters...

For me, the tech and (especially) engine are lacking in its class and when compared to an IS 350, the near 20K price hike (in Canada) is hard to swallow.

On a related note, I still prefer today the styling and panache of the V8-powered 3GS 430/460 that the 4GS has lost with its less fastback-like silhouette and V6-only offering.

2010_lexus_gs_460-pic-28164327013916161.jpeg

Reactions
Me too. I can't think of anything that offers the unique combination of luxury, handling and - above all - reliability the GS provides.
If anything, the 'challenge' in this segment is reliability isn't valued as much as the other traits, and honestly, the brand is weighted more given that luxury cars are mostly leased for 3-4 years on average.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
If anything, the 'challenge' in this segment is reliability isn't valued as much as the other traits, and honestly, the brand is weighted more given that luxury cars are mostly leased for 3-4 years on average.

Some of the horror stories I heard about BMWs and Mercedes (outside mirror falling off, waiting three weeks for a new transmission etc.) would tick me off and put my wife on spin cycle, three year lease or not. The worst issue we ever had with a Lexus was a rattle!

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Some of the horror stories I heard about BMWs and Mercedes (outside mirror falling off, waiting three weeks for a new transmission etc.) would tick me off and put my wife on spin cycle, three year lease or not. The worst issue we ever had with a Lexus was a rattle!

This is my experience with Lexus as well. Very reliable with only minor issues. I owned a mercedes years ago, and it was a bundle of problems with engine and body/suspension constantly needing attention.

Reactions
No doubt 3 years in a Lexus is reliable and drama free, but it seems that the MENTALITY of luxury buyers these days isn't a concern for that if BMW and Mercedes are ahead of Lexus now.

https://www.cartelligent.com/blog/which-car-brands-do-people-lease-or-buy

I read other sites too and many already echo the sentiment that luxury cars are great when you have them but also disposable once the lease is up. The fact that many still lease MBZ and BMWs in great numbers show that most luxury buyers worries aren't about its short-term reliability. Of course, YMMV!

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
The fact that many still lease MBZ and BMWs in great numbers show that most luxury buyers worries aren't about its short-term reliability.

Well, when you look at how many Land and Range Rovers are sold, I have to agree lots of luxury buyers can't really care about reliability.

Last edited: