Expert
Reactions
MM Updated Test-Drive...2020 Lincoln Corsair
beacb56377c6c5e0f9e1e923a7ceb248.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

5.jpg

704x-

12-2020-lincoln-corsair-oem.jpg

At the D.C. Auto Show in late January, I signed up for both the $50 Ford and $75 Lincoln pre-paid Mastercard Test-Drive offers at dealerships. Usually (but not always) the system will allow you to sign up for both, even though it technically says you can't. If Ford also has a test-loop circuit set up that year or the day at the show, as several other manufacturers do, they sometimes give out an additional $10 pre-paid card right there on the spot. I had wanted to use the Ford offer on the Bronco, since IMO it will be the most interesting new SUV introduced in some time, but its introduction has been delayed as a 2021 model, so I used it on the potentially more popular all-new 2020 Escape...something more along the lines of what my brother's girl friend will be shopping for.

Those of you who follow my posts also know that I've liked the Lincoln Corsair from its first public viewing...it is built, of course, on the same platform as the Escape, with a LOT of added comfort, sound insulation, and refinement....the rear suspension is also totally different. The interior is also (mostly) Class-A materials, though its layout is unusual and takes some getting used to. It takes the place of the Lincoln MKC, which was done on the same platform as the last-generation Ford Escape. Nevertheless, I sampled an early-production Corsair several months ago and was not totally impressed with it on the road....it had a slight bobbing-feel to it in the low-speed ride, and the 8-speed transmission, while smooth, seemed indecisive at times. The double-pull hood-release mechanism was also fussy...sometimes it worked properly and sometimes not, and shutting the hood can require a noticeable slam rather then the usual let-down. So far, though, at least according to owners, the Corsair has avoided the embarrassing major quality-control problems its bigger brother Lincoln Aviator had, which is built alongside its brother Ford Explorer at the Chicago plant.

So, today, since the deadline for the test-drive offer is March 30, and with more and more local businesses and institutions in the D.C. area closing down or restricting access due to the Coronavirus, I decided to cash in the Lincoln test-drive offer on a newer version of the Corsair this time and see if there are still any teething problems. The balky hood-release mechanism (and slam-requirement) is still there, and there was a small creak in the right side of the unibody structure, but other than that, it was like a Swiss Watch. I chose a Burgundy-color Standard AWD model that listed for $43,910 (here's the exact sticker, so I don't have to do my usual list).

https://www.windowsticker.forddirect...7-cb2a7f4ed89f

This turned out to be a very pleasant experience, in many ways, from the moment I arrived. A salesperson I had not seen in a number of years greeted me...he was now working at that dealership. He had recognized me (and me, him) from an experience, back before Mercury folded, at a local Lincoln-Mercury dealership, perhaps 15 years or so ago. My Ex-Flight-Instructor (John), after he retired from flying, had picked up a brand new Town Car Executive for the limo-firm he went to work for as a driver....this salesman had written up the deal, and delivered the car. John took me along to inspect it, test-drive it, and check it out to make sure there were no problems or defects with it...there weren't. We talked over the experience, he briefed me on what had done since then, and I had to report that John had recently retired from the limo-driving with some cancer that fortunately, the chemo seemed to stem. Then, of course, it was off to business.

The salesman pointed out something interesting under the hood. When I remarked at the large, thick foam-rubber engine cover on top of the engine instead of the usual black or gray plastic, he mentioned that it was part of Lincoln's soundproofing to truly isolate and quiet this engine to luxury-vehicle standards. There is also, above, a very thick underhood insulation pad and additional double-wall-soundproofing in the firewall behind the engine...Lincoln did not skimp on that aspect of its design, just as it did not skimp on the quality of the interior.

I've already written, in past threads, about my earlier impressions of the Corsair, so I won't dwell on, or expound on them here, at length. I will point out, however, several things. The leather seats are nicely-padded, and show the cushiness, without sharp bolsters, that, IMO, more seats in SUVs this size should have and don't. The upright video-screen may look tacked-on, but it is a solid casing with nice chromed trim. The video-system itself is rather complex, but has unusual well-done graphics that are colorful and entertaining. Adjusting the clock for DST or Standard-Time is much easier than I thought..simply tap the clock-display itself on the screen, which brings up the adjustment screen, re-set the time, and hit the back arrow....it's that simple.

For once, the PDI guys had (reasonably) done their jobs. I didn't have to bleed the tire PSI down much to where they were supposed to be....and this dealership trades the factory-air in the tires for nitrogen. On the road, the slight bobbing-motion I had noticed with the earlier Corsair was gone, and there wasn't much difference in ride-quality between this and my Lacrosse. The 2.0L turbo four was silly-smooth and quiet, and had enough power for all normal driving....IMO the 2.3L turbo is not necessary. There was a little more road noise on rough or grainy pavement than one might expect for this class (apparently Lincoln didn't put as much insulation in the wheel wells or chassis as underhood), although the noise level dropped noticeably on smooth and non-porous pavement. There are several different drive-modes...the Snow-Mode, for example, restricted torque-output to keep the wheels from spinning, and the video-graphics for the mode were attractive and colorful. Wind noise was practically nonexistent. Steering response was slower and more disconnected-feeling than on some SUVs this size, but part of that is due to the efforts of the engineers to give a soft ride....which succeeded. Brakes were a little touchy at first, but the pedal itself gave no noticeable big-shoe problems going from gas to brake.

All in all, a very nice experience today....and especially nice considering this Gloom-and-Doom world of the Coronavirus that we are living in now, where, each day, more and more of society simply shuts down. I've never owned a Ford product myself, though my late father had a classic 1965 Thunderbird for awhile, and, after Army-retirement, worked for the old-Philco-Ford electronics firm...he would bring home big Mercury and Lincoln luxury-sedans each night and let me try them out as teenager...I was a good enough driver (better than the average teen) that I could be trusted. But I have never actually owned a Ford product myself. I am impressed enough with the Corsair, however, that this could (?) change that status....we'll see.

And, as Always, Happy-Vehicle-Shopping.
smile.gif

MM