Reactions
MM Test-Drive: Tesla Model 3
https://www.tesla.com/model3

tesla_logo_3d_model_c4d_max_obj_fbx_ma_lwo_3ds_3dm_stl_1793239_o.jpg

Tesla_Model_3_parked%2C_front_driver_side.jpg

MzAzNzY4Ng.jpeg

tesla-model-3-steering-wheel-buttons-adjust.jpg

Tesla-Model-3-interior.jpg

There's been lots of interest lately in both Tesla's Model 3 and in the company's method of doing business, so, I thought I'd at least do a write-up on the 3 and visit the dealership. I'm fortunate enough to live within just a couple miles of one, although it is in a rather congested area with a lot of traffic. And it's not surprising that Tesla would have a retail-outlet there (Tyson's Corner, VA)....that is a business-magnet, home to some of the most expensive business real estate on the East Coast outside of Manhattan Island, and there's a LOT of money in and close to here chasing after new vehicles.

I'd been there once before, a few years ago, to do a static write-up on the Model S (at that time, they had no demos in stock for a test drive, and I had to write up the one in the showroom). I remarked on how the (company-owned) facility there was like a big warehouse, separated into showroom and Parts/Service sections, with almost no creature comforts for customers.....not even a place in the showroom to sit down. The salespeople didn't even have desks.....only the Manager in the showroom had a desk and seat. The outside of the building was painted in the red/white/silver Tesla colors, but also was essentially a converted/painted warehouse. Inside the showroom was a red Model S and a stripped-Testa platform, down to the basic chassis/hardware, which showed you the drivetrain and chassis.

When I visited it again today, it was still the same basic warehouse (little had changed) although a few more things had been added inside on the showroom walls, such as some screen-videos about Tesla products. This time, three new Tesla products were displayed inside...a Model S (which I static-reviewed in the nice cool air...the place was at least air-conditoned), a gull-door Model X, and, of course, a Model 3. But, compared to most nicely-equipped private-franchise dealerships, the place was a joke. When I asked how much a full-recharge would cost for customer-owned Teslas there at that shop (obviously, electricity isn't free), they told me they do not routinely recharge Teslas there for customers on request (even for a fee). I was incredulous, and repeated the question slowly and clearly, to make sure they had heard and understood it correctly...same answer. When I asked why not (as most dealerships that sell EVs or plug-in hybrids DO recharge them for customers), they remarked that they only had a couple of chargers on hand, and that they used them exclusively in the service department for cars in service.

Of course, one does not necessarily go to a dealership to be treated like the Taj Mahal, but to purchase, lease, or sample a vehicle....which is why I was there.....so, time to get down to business. As I mentioned above, I inspected a red Model 3 in the showroom (unbelievable paint job on those Teslas.....just like a mirror), and was generally impressed with its static-build-quality, especially concerning the recent horror stories passed around the media and forums on the sloppy assembly and defect-level of Model 3s at the plant. The trunk-lid shut a little on the light / flimsy side, but the rest of the vehicle seemed reasonably well-screwed together with decent materials. The outside door handles are quirky...push them in on one end to pop the pull-handle out on the other. Instead of a conventional key or electronic fob, outside locking/unlocking is done by swiping an electronic card over a camera-eye built into the drivers' side B-pillar...that feature, if desired, can be programmed into your Smart-Phone with an app.

Inside, this is basically a compact sedan, and even some of that room is compromised by the electric hardware under the floor, especially rear seat height and headroom....the droop-rear roofline, of course, doesn't help. I liked the softly-padded seat cushions (I get turned off by firm-padding), but the shape and contours of the seat and setback itself, though reasonably comfortable, were not the best I've seen. Opening the doors from inside was as almost as quirky as on the outside...you pushed a small, black, difficult-to-see plastic button on the top of the door arm-pulls. The most quirky feature inside, though, was the dash...nothing but a wide strip of wood-tone material (which, I thought, had a nice texture and feel to it). Nothing behind the steering wheel but a piece of that wood. ALL of the dash instruments/controls, except for the plastic gear-shift stalk and turn signal lever on the steering column, and some adjustment-controls on the steering wheel, were located in one large and brilliantly-lit video-screen-casing in the middle of the dash. That alone would be a deal-breaker for me, but some people apparently like the design, and I respect their opinion. Still, to make even simple-adjustments, you had to navigate through dozens of icons on the screen to find what you wanted, then, in some cases, use the controls on the wheel. In back, the cargo area has a small trunk opening, is not terribly roomy inside, but seems to use decently-trimmed materials. There is a small storage compartment under the rear floor.

I requested a test-drive on the AWD version, rather than the RWD (I figured that would make more sense in the area I live in). They picked out a gray AWD model, on the lot, that I (estimated) to be around 40-45K on the list.....none of the new Teslas on that lot had stickers on them. You get in, spend a couple of minutes, with the video-screen and controls, getting the mirrors and seat adjusted through all the control-complexities, and adjust the seat and belt-up conventionally. You check the green battery-charge indicator....a little less than half remaining, or 138 miles to recharge. Press a ready-to-drive button, put your foot on the brake, shift into D (only one forward-speed in the electric-drive transmission, so no manual-shifting), release the brake, and go. And, in some cases, I DO mean GO.

Folks, this is not a car for careless or inattentive drivers. The power and torque level of a Tesla drivetrain has to be experienced to be believed. Say what one will about Elon Musk and his unorthodox business methods, he does know how to put one impressive electric drive-system in his products. You have to be watching the road and traffic ahead of you carefully, or you can get into trouble very quickly....within a matter of a few seconds. Push the electronic throttle-pedal more than a couple of inches, and this thing takes off like a bunch of Border-crossers running from the ICE. Although I'm sure it's not the fastest car on the market today by any means, it's easily the fastest car I have personally sampled since I test-drove a 500+ HP Mercedes E63 AMG several years ago. It will handily dust off all but the very quickest of the American so-called "Muscle" cars I went to high-school with....from what I remember, only the dual-quad 1969-1970 426 Hemi Barracuda/Challenger, triple-deuce-carb 427 Corvette, and, of course, the early-60s 427 AC Shelby Cobra were even close. And those cars, I might add, were not for careless or inattentive drivers either. The Tesla 3, of course, is especially quick, even in this case with the added weight/drag off AWD, because that power and torque is concentrated in a small, light sedan...not in a larger heavier SUV or CUV. Another reason the electric motor is so quick off the line is that this type of motor typically produces most of its power at very low RPMs...theoretically, maximum torque just starting up from rest...and some allowance for that is built into the throttle, so you don't ride up the rear bumper of the car in front of you every time you start up. Because of the quiet nature of the all-electric drivetrain, you could hear some road and wind noise, but both were generally well-muted....driving a Tesla is generally not a noisy experience.

The steering system definitely had a lot of road feel to it.....not only somewhat like older BMWs or Mazda Miatas, but, to an extent, it felt like there was almost no power-assist at all, like the compact cars I learn to drive on in the 1960s. Steering response was fairly quick, and the very low-slung design of the car, together with most of the weight of the electric-hardware being below the seats, led to a very low center of gravity and minimal body roll. I think at least part of the steering-feel on this car is influenced by the light engine up front making a lot of power-assist unnecessary. Some comments have been posted on the Tesla forums about the ride-comfort being harsh, but, on this AWD model, though it certainly is no Lacrosse, I didn't think it was particularly bad, though I was on smooth roads most of the time.

Let off on the Model 3's throttle, and the very effective regenerative-braking from the electric motor slows you in a hurry. You feel a noticeable wave of drag as the braking engages....again, keep that in mind if you have traffic close behind you, on your bumper. You usually don't need to touch the brake pedal much until you are almost at a full stop....one reason why brake pads and rotors last so long in hybrids and full-electric vehicles. That is also the reason why the wheels don't have the big open-cooling slots that conventional vehicles/wheels do...the wheel-brakes simply don't produce much heat, and the face of the wheel is more streamlined and covered for lower air-resistance. The brake pedal is not ideally located for my big size-15 shoe letting off the gas, but that is countered by the fact that in this car, you don't have to use the brakes very often, unless you aggressively use this car's extremely high-power level. The light engine up front, and ideal weight-distribution, also helps with effective braking.

So, say what one will about Musk, his company, his unorthodox personal and business practices (and that's another whole subject)........he delivers what is arguably the most advanced pure-electric mass-produced vehicles available today, in terms of both battery/motor-efficiency, range, charging-capacity, and, of course, enough torque at low RPM to blow the doors off of even some sports cars.

And, as Always, Happy Car-Shopping.
smile.gif

MM

Will1991

Reactions
In my opinion a Tesla Model 3 is in a class of one regarding electric cars... There is nothing like it, not even close, even more when you factor in their price...