Reactions
MM Test-Drive: 2019 Mazda 6

Image result for mazda logo

mazda-6-1555954247.jpg

534693425ca307d38d05f472469637_640_427-c.jpg

2018-Mazda6-B-11_o.jpg

2019mac140088_640_13.jpg

Image result for mazda 6 back seat 2019

I drove Mazda sedans from the mid-1980s until the mid-90s (owned three of them), when I got my first Toyota...a '95 Celica. At the time, I was finally tired of constant breakdowns and poor build-quality of the GM and Chrysler products of the period (today, of course they are far better)....and I joined the ever-growing converts to the Japanese brands. I looked at Toyota and Hondas of the period, but, because of the 1980s import-restrictions, they were too hard to get and carried big dealer markups, particularly the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. I liked the build quality of the pre-1985 Mitsubishi-built Dodge/Plymouth Colts, but they drove and rode like Go-Karts. Subarus of the time were built like tanks, but unrefined and clunky in their road manners. The Mazda sedans, though not perfect and with some faults, and also with some difficulty of getting a good price, seemed like the best bet for the money, particularly with their "Kansai" engineering which produced a nice driving-feel......and so that was that.

Just my opinion, but as I see it, the company went downhill when Ford took them over, and many American-market Mazda products became either rebadged Fords (Tribute, Navaho, B-Series trucks, etc...) or joint Ford/Mazda designs like the Probe/MX-6 and Tracer/Protege. By 1995, I was ready for something else, and, by then, Toyotas had become much more available and much easier to buy. My late mother was driving a Corolla wagon, and that dealership was only too happy to sell me a Celica.

Today, at least in the American market, Mazda, while not niche-brand per se, is clearly not one of the major players. When Ford let them go, they lost a taskmaster who was restricting them in their decisions, but they also, of course, lost their financing from one of the largest automotive corporations in the world, so they had to make do with their own budget.

The slow-selling and unreliable rotary-engined RX-8 sports-car, of course, got the ax, along with the pickup trucks. But the classic Miata roadster and the compact/mid-sized Mazda3 and Mazda6 sedans remained...as did a line of somewhat sport-oriented SUVs. For a number of years, reviewers and enthusiasts have given both of the Mazda sedans high marks for roadability, steering-characteristics and overall driver-centeredness....and in the last couple of years, interior materials (long a weak point) have also improved. Unfortunately, on the latest Mazda3, the bean-counters won out in one area...the previous independent rear suspension lost to a cheaper and simpler beam-axle. This, not surprisingly, degraded the car's handling compared to previous versions, and reviewers have dropped it some in its comparison to rivals like the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic.

Since I had not driven a mid-sized Mazda sedan in quite some time (I think the last one was a Mazda 626 my brother had as a rental when his old Subaru Impreza was in the body shop), I thought I'd sample the latest Mazda 6. If GM and Buick keep screwing up (look at the mess they got into with the massive worker-strike), I might not even rule out the 6 as my own car, though I generally like full-size sedans now). Reviewers seem to give the Mazda 6 much of the same high marks as they did the Mazda3, up to the latest beam-axle version.

The 2020 versions of the Mazda6 have not been released yet, but, for now, in the American market, five different trim levels are offered, all with FWD...the Sport ($23,800), Touring ($26,400), Grand Touring ($29,500), Grand Touring Reserve ($32,000), and Signature ($35,100). Sport and Touring models come with a non-turbo "Skyactiv" 2.5L 4 of 187 HP and 186 ft-lbs. of torque.......the others come with a 2.5L Turbo 4 with 227 HP and 310 ft-lbs. of torque. All come with a Sport-Shift 6-speed automatic...the manual transmission option in the 6, unfortunately, was dropped this year, for 2019. A Skyactiv-D Turbo-diesel version is on the way, but has not been released in the U.S. yet (so much for diesels dying out, and hybrids/electrics replacing them).

I won't spend a lot of time on the exterior, except to say it looks pretty much like most recent Mazda 6s, uses quite-solid sheet metal, and generally has a nice paint job. It got a mid-generation facelift last year, and will be up for a major redesign probably within the next couple of years.

Mazda has really upgraded the interior of the latest 6....particularly in the base Sport version. Virtually all of the interior trim and surfaces above the leg/knee-level (as you are sitting down) are either padded, softly-padded, or soft-touch in their feel.....including the backs of the front seats, down to floor level. Most of the hardware is decently solid and secure-feeling....less so for the steering wheel buttons. There is adequate headroom for most persons, front and rear, especially without a sunroof housing. The primary gauges are quite well-detailed in an analog sense, and the basic control layout is generally simple and easy to use by today's standards, although the video screen itself is rather small. I checked out several different interiors, but, in general, I liked the base Sport Version, with its fur/velour-cloth seat upholstery, better than any of the Leather-Trimmed or Leatherette versions on upper-range models. I was just delighted with the velour-look and feel of the cloth used on the Sport-version seats (too bad it only comes in one color....black). I've always loved the velour-cloth that was used in American luxury cars of several decades ago, but it is VERY rare to find today......this is the only vehicle I've seen that even comes close. Not only did the velour-cloth seats look good, but they were, for my frame, also more comfortable to sit in than the Leather/Leatherette seats on the upmarket versions. It even covers the back of the front seats, down to the floor and cubby-net. And the Sport version, of course, is the least-expensive to boot.....so you aren't paying as much money as the others. GOOD JOB, Mazda.....I hope that other designers in the industry are paying attention. Two things inside, though, I didn't like. One was the two small, nearly identically sized/shaped/marked buttons, under the left side of the dash, that open the hood and/or the gas-flap....it is too easy, without bending down and squinting (I wear bi-focals) to all one when you meant the other. The other was the difficult and overly-complex Mazda Connect system for the video screen and its controls. It was difficult and confusing to do even some of the simplest functions, like tune in radio stations. The Mazda system has a reputation as being one of the most complex in the industry...and it shows.

Up front, underhood, both the turbo and non-turbo engines fit in pretty well, although the large engine-cover takes up a lot of otherwise usable space. The battery is rearward and to the right, but uncovered and easily accessible. Dipsticks/filler-caps/reservoirs are an easy reach. The hood is very heavy, though (a good trade of steel), precise-fitting, and you must fumble with a prop-rod.

In back, the cargo area is not particularly well-finished (perhaps because Mazda spent decent money on the cabin materials?)....the lining-materials are relatively unimpressive. Under the floor (and a thin, lift-up panel panel) lies a temporary spare tire.

I wasn't sure, at first, which version I felt I should do the test-drive on. I liked the base Sport's velour-cloth interior, seats, 55-series tires for ride comfort, and low price.....they had one on the lot, without options, which listed for only $24,720, and that they were asking only $22,250 for...quite a bargain, IMO. But, I also figured that, not only most of the forum members here, but Mazda 6 buyers in general, would probably be more interested in the turbo engine (the base engine seems a little short on torque) and more driver-centered (if less comfortable) tires/suspension on the upmarket versions. So, I took out a dark blue Grand Touring Version, again without a lot of options, that listed for $30,420 (they were asking $27,850). It was also, IMO, a bargain.

On the road, most of the comments about this car from the reviewers and auto-journalists are true. The turbo four starts up and idles with a decent amount of refinement, though there is some engine noise at low speeds, starting up in the lower gears. With an available 310 ft-lbs. of torque, it will more than get out of its own way if asked to, although given a choice, I'd still prefer a non-turbo V6...I am not a fan of the industry's rush to turbo fours. The 6-speed automatic transmission shifted smoothly and crisply, whether in manual or auto mode.....gone are the classic Bump-Shift-O-Matic Mazda transmissions of years ago. The only thing I (still) don't like on the automatic is how Mazda persists in using the (-/+) pattern for manual bump-shifts, on the lever, opposite from nearly everyone else. Bump the lever forward to upshift, as you would with most vehicles, and you actually get a downshift, which could shock, overstress, and possibly over-rev the engine and drivetrain, within computer-limits. Needless to say, if you are used to the conventional (+/-) pattern, you have to be very careful with this one, and not just flick it blindly.

The chassis is....well, Mazda. That means firmness and crispness in the handling, quick steering response, minimal body roll, and a well-balanced mixture of ride and handling. Ride comfort, over bumps, even with the 45-series tires on the Grand Touring version, was decent, though, of course, the 55s on the base Sport version would probably be a little better. Steering response was smooth, precise, with decent effort/feel for an electric steering unit, and the car generally went right where you pointed it. I will dare say that one thing has not changed over the years.....Mazda still does some of the best suspension/steering/chassis-tuning of any Japanese manufacturer, IMO almost as good as the last-generation BMWs with the hydraulic steering. Road noise was audible but not bad at all, and wind noise was generally well-muted. Brakes did not feel quite as firm or solid, to me, as the reviewer-comments would indicate, but I found no problems with them, or in pedal-placement for my large feet.

In short, I have to agree with the auto-press.....this is clearly the Driver-centered Gold Star of Mid-sized sedans in its size/price-class, though I'd prefer a N/A V6, a more conventional manual bump-shift pattern, a better design for the hood/gas-flap buttons, and a substantially better design for the overly-complex Mazda Connect video system. But, in short, this car, in most areas, is money well-spent.

And, as Always, Happy Car-Shopping. 🙂

MM

Last edited:

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I always felt that Mazda makes a great car for the money. I test drove a Mazda6 Signature and it sold itself for all the reasons you mentioned. Just a solid, good handling car with plenty of comfort. I do agree that the infotainment is a bit clumsy and not the best but for me, as long as my presets are programmed into the radio it would be fine. I have actually considered selling my 17 Tacoma for one due to my 50 mile commute but that's been a tough back and forth.