MM Static Review: 2019 Lexus UX

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Note: Some of you may not like some of what I have to say about the interior and cargo area. Please remember that auto reviews are mainly subjective, and, while I greatly respect all of your opinions, I ask you to respect mine.

Thank You. :)
MM

A Static (No-Test-Drive) Review of the all-new 2019 Lexus UX

https://www.lexus.com/models/UX

IN A NUTSHELL: The first subcompact (B-Class) SUV/CUV from Lexus, but, IMO, would be better-suited as a Toyota.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Infiniti QX30, BMW X1 (Those two are probably the two directly-closest in the American market, but there are a number of others that are either in the same size-class and less-expensive, or just slightly larger, in the compact class.

lexus_13045_1513720660_500_750_fd06d98395632435a78317e75220bff03c83c4b3.jpg

ghlnddhnnaetv7io4bcs_26df0425da7094d06ed3681aff3f90754534b7ab.jpg

lexus_ux_inline1_photo_704107_s_original_778086e98be80772369fa8678d24a28bfdb71e2c.jpg

2019_lexus_ux_250h_f_sport_mercury_grey_rear_left_quarter_bfbde2d18861aa5767b601b4834a3c1121a37f9b.jpg

rg_2019_lexus_ux_40_1920x1280_ffaa1baa26cde08d1cb357716878bb0a5d1fd79b.jpg

2019_lexus_ux_200_interior_view_02_fa71d36827f43e8b400c0108e72c7c4c5f74a3c5.jpg

2019_lexus_ux_review_photos_autonation_011_1_08a14af6f1ac020b8395537989afba49e49f2ac0.jpg

2019_lexus_ux_73bb2ef285c26898a2c115eb7ce120f77c77e5f5.jpg

OVERVIEW:

While compact (C-class) crossover SUVs (sometimes known as "CUVs" continue to be among the most widely-selling vehicles today in the American market (see my recent review of the redesigned 2019 Toyota RAV-4, which is now in third place nationally in the U.S. market behind the F-150 and Silverado pickups) the one-size-smaller, B-class CUVs are also rapidly rising in both popularity and availability. Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai, and others now offer models in the low-priced range, with a few in the upmarket/luxury class like the new Lexus UX. These appeal mainly to those who want a vehicle with small outside dimensions, good fuel economy, good maneuverability for parking, all-weather traction, and a higher-than-sedan ground and seating stance, all at an affordable price.

Unfortunately, at least in my experience and test-drives, most of these vehicles also have tended to have significant limitations, particularly in interior room, power level, ride quality, ease of entry/exit (particularly in the rear seat) and in the general level of driver and passenger comfort. The Ford EcoSport, with its more conservative boxy styling, has a little more room inside then some of the others, but, it too, is no luxury vehicle....It gets you from Point A to Point B as basic transportation and little else, particularly in the base turbo-three-cylinder models. These vehicles have recently been, not in all, but in many cases, gifts from parents to their college-students as entry-level vehicles for them if they are going away to school, particularly in a snowy northern climate where they will need the winter traction. That is, of course, proving the student is not 7 feet tall and is going to be on the school basketball team LOL.

So, limitations or not, is is easy to explain the rise of these sub-compact CUV vehicles, just like it is the even more popular compact ones. Among luxury and/or upmarket brands, in the American market, BMW has already gotten in on this size class with the X1, Infiniti with the QX30, and Buick with the Encore, which is actually a rebadged German-designed Opel Mokka....though the Encore's very tall roof helps out some with the interior room. Others, such as the Volvo XC-40, Audi Q3, Mercedes GLA, Jaguar E-Pace, Lincoln MKC (a favorite of mine), and the Cadillac XT4 are not really in the subcompact SUV class.....they are generally in the compact class.

Lexus, of course, already has the compact NX crossover SUV in its lineup, which debuted a few years ago, and the tremendously successful mid-size RX, which has been extremely popular ever since its 1999 introduction. So, the next step was, obviously, to design something one size smaller, in the subcompact class...and Toyota's CH-R, of course, gave them the platform to do so. The UX is one size smaller than the NX, and is, as I write this (early January 2019), just starting to reach dealerships here in the D.C. area. Most, but not all, of the models in stock appear to be UX hybrids, as that is the only way you can get all-wheel-drive on the UX (more on that later). I did not see any F-Sport models in stock, but they will probably be coming soon.

For 2019, in the American market, the UX comes in UX200 FWD ($32,000), UX200 Luxury FWD ($37,200) UX250h Hybrid AWD ($34,000), UX250h Luxury AWD ($39,200), UX200 F-Sport FWD ($34,000), and UX250h Hybrid AWD F-Sport ($36,000) versions. Gas versions come with (as the moniker would suggest) a normally-aspirated 2.0L in-line four of 169 HP and 151 ft-lbs. of torque. and a 10-speed Direct-Shift CVT transmission.....apparently the "Continuously-Variable" part also has 10 pre-programmed ratios. It is set up to mimic the start-up characteristics of a regular torque-converter automatic. The Hybrid models use the same non-turbo 2.0L four and a permanent-magnet electric-drive motor, for a total system 181 HP, and a conventional CVT (Continuously Variable) transmission, without steps. Toyota/Lexus, unlike some other manufacturers, doesn't break down the individual power ratings or RPM-peaks of its hybrid components. No gas versions are offered with AWD (a marketing error, IMO).....you must get a hybrid version for power to all four wheels. And, like with some other Lexus F-Sport models, that option, on the UX, does not affect the drivetrain or engine power......only interior trim and some chassis/wheel modifications. In fact, according to the spec-sheet, on the UX F-Sport package, you don't even get different wheels or tires.....it is just different-color seat-options, a blacked-out dash, and some suspension mods. I see little sense in purchasing it, unless you just like those nice burgundy-red seats and/or a little more stiffness in the ride/handling.

As usual, before a test-drive, I did a static review/inspection, in and out, of a couple of different versions, but, after doing so, decided not to do a formal road test...I'll explain in detail later.

MODELS STATIC-REVIEWED: 2019 Lexus UX FWD, UX Hybrid AWD

LIST PRICES AS STATIC-REVIEWED: List prices on the lot generally ranged from around 34K for the gas version to 38-40K for the Hybrids

PLUSSES:

Lexus tradition of reliability

Decent underhood layout

Slick paint job in the Toyota/Lexus tradition.

Nice wide choice of paint colors....but the bright blue is somewhat restricted.

Protective lower-body cladding all around helps protect the paint.

Good assembly quality.....appears well-screwed together.

The usual good Lexus fit/finish.

First Aid Kit in the cargo area.

Excellent NuLuxe imitation seat leather.

Nice felt-covered sun visors.

Nicely-done steering wheel.

Better headroom than I expected.

MINUSES:

No gas AWD versions.

F-Sport option apparently doesn't include much.

Quick-wearing performance run-flat tires on all versions.

EL-Cheapo, bean-counting interior trim materials....especially for the price.

Manual prop-rod hood.

Very hard-to-clean grille.

Ultra-flimsy cargo-cover-shade.

Poorly-finished cargo area for the price.

Somewhat awkward finger-touch pad for the video screen.

Awkward stereo controls on console-pod.

Relatively poor rearward visibility.

Munchkin rear-seat legroom.

EXTERIOR:

The exterior of the UX, by Lexus standards, is nothing out of the ordinary....its overall body shape, large spindle-grille, headlights, and rear end pretty much identify it as the baby member of the ubiquitous Lexus crossover SUV group, though it lacks the rear "floating roof" effect of the RX. As with most Toyota/Lexus products, the paint job is slick and first-rate, one of the vehicle's best features. Even the black paint, a notoriously hard color to do smoothly, was virtually free of orange-peel...I could only detect the very slightest hint of it, very close up, with my glasses. Also one of its best features is the general way it is screwed together....the exterior trim is impeccably finished and attached, though one sample I looked at, on the chrome window-surround, appeared to have a bad dark-colored stain from a burn or something similar. I liked the relatively wide choice of body colors, though one of the nicest IMO (the bright electric blue) is not available across the board. One of the hybrids I looked at was painted a nice olive green....not necessarily my favorite shade of green, but it's nice to see greens returning that have been neglected for so long. The sheet metal was rather thin, as on most new vehicles, but all four of the doors, and the rear hatch, shut with a reasonably solid thunk, though the hood didn't feel or sound particularly solid when it shut. I liked the vehicle-surround black plastic cladding, which, even though it may look cheap, comes in handy protecting the lower-body and wheel-wells from damage from road-debris...this surround-feature is found on most smaller crossover SUVs/CUVs. Up front is (what else)?...the ubiquitous Lexus spindle-grille, which some like and some hate....I tend to be one of the few neutrals, even though I don't particularly like the shape. The grille, however, particularly on the Hybrid model, has a honey-comb-like lattice of hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of dark gray plastic bulges that, though quite well-finished and pleasant to feel, would probably make it quite difficult to wash (I do my own hand-washing, and am sensitive to things like that). All versions, from what I can tell (even the F-Sport), come with 18" alloy wheels and run-flat tires, so, of course, there is no spare or compressed-air-bottle.

UNDERHOOD:

Lift the hood (you must fumble with a manual prop-rod, even on this Lexus product), and you will at least find an underhood insulation pad, something that Toyota left off the new RAV-4. The engine compartment, for a vehicle this small, seems rather well-done, and, even on the Hybrid model with its double gas/electric motors and CVT transmission, the hardware fits in reasonably well, with some room to actually reach a few things. The engine cover, of course, blocks some of the top-access, but there is at least some room to reach things on the side. All of the dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reservoirs, as on most vehicles, are relatively easy to reach.

INTERIOR:

The interior did have a few nice things about it, so I'll describe them here, before you Lexus folks start tossing rocks at me for what I'm going to say about the rest of the interior. The NuLuxe imitation seat-leather is always excellent....one of my favorite Lexus features (I'm sure the cows would agree LOL). It's really hard to tell the NuLuxe from a good-quality grade of supple leather. In general, the two-tone interiors, particularly with the white, looked somewhat better then the all-black (I'm generally not a fan of coal-mine interiors). I also like the way that Lexus does their steering wheels.....even though the NX lacks the wood-steering-wheel option found in some other Lexus products, it is still shaped nice, has nice leather on the rim, and feels pleasant to hold. The wide video-screen panel has a nice analog clock. The sun visors, instead of the usual hard plastic, have at least a nice black felt-covering on them. And here was a little more front and rear headroom than I had expected from a vehicle this size.

But in the rest of the interior, IMO, it was obvious that the bean-counters had a field day with it....and I don't know what some of the designers were thinking when they designed some of the controls. Aside from the nice things that I just mentioned, IMO this interior is not worthy of a 33-40K vehicle. The door panels are probably the worst offenders....acres of hard, cheap black plastic and other materials (apparently the same material as in the base RAV-4), with virtually no pleasant soft-touch materials on the at all. The dash, and console, likewise, have bargain-basement materials, with black plastic trim and panels, and no option for any nice wood-tone, imitation carbon-fiber, or even aluminum to make a nice contrast. The top of the dash has a thin felt-like substance to it, but even that, IMO, felt cheap. A couple of rotary-knobs (one of them for the drive-mode) stick out of the upper-dash area, sideways, behind the wheel, like Mickey-Mouse ears. The rear seats, especially with the front seats adjusted back for tall people, have essentially Munchkin-legroom...and, despite the adequate headroom when inside, you have to be almost Munchkin-sized to get in and out the for openings easily. Tall people have to drop their head and neck way down, lean forward, and almost become a pretzel. The glove box had the usual very thin plastic found in other recent Toyota/Lexus products, but at least, on the samples I saw, it had a reasonably solid latch to click it shut.....I've seen some new Toyotas where it would barely hold at all when you shut it. The video screen is operated by a small square finger-touch pad (Lexus has ditched the mouse-type controller for the screen that it formerly used). Just imagine using that on a bumpy road, with your fingertip bumping around). The stereo controls, IMO, border on ridiculous.....they are mounted on a small, flat, black-plastic horizontal, curved, pod that sticks out below the arm rest/center, with tiny black thumb-wheels. Again, just try and use them on a bumpy road. A row of almost a dozen horizontal, identically-shaped buttons, and another smaller horizontal row under that, mostly used for climate control and a couple of other functions, line the center-dash under the reply-recessed screen. The steering column, though manual tilt/telescope, lacks a power tilt option.....and, even in the full-up position, forces people with large heavy legs, like me, to lower the drivers' seat cushion all the way down to the floor so that one's legs can get in and out, and/or have room for the wheel so that their knees aren't bumping it while driving. I did not get a chance to sample an F-Sport interior (none of the D.C.-area dealerships have one yet)...but, as I mentioned above, from the brochure and specs, I see little difference from the others, outside of burgundy-red seats and some minor differences in dash trim. Last, rearward and rear-quarter visibility is not good, due to thick D-pillars and a small rear window in the hatch-lid.

So, while, yes, there are some good things inside, overall, the designers get a D for the interior...IMO, it's back to the drawing board.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Open the rear hatch, and the cargo compartment, like the interior, is not well-trimmed. There is a thin, felt-type fabric/carpet on the floor, and hard black-plastic walls. The ones I looked at had the traditional Lexus First-Aid Kit, which was at least one nice touch. There is a reasonable amount of cargo-room for a vehicle this size, and the rear seats, of course, fold down to make extra room. But it's still clear that this is no Chevy Suburban, so don't expect to haul large or bulky furniture items...you'll simply have to move up to a larger vehicle for that. Although it comes with a cargo-cover to hide your belongings from prying eyes, the cover, IMO, is a joke.....essentially a piece of framed black fabric-cloth (not even a hard substance) that feels like it will rip if you so much as run your fingernail on it, and it is secured to the hatch-lid with a couple of very small loops that are awkward to attach. Under the floor is a pull-out, gray styrofoam multi-compartment, and, under that.....mostly air, due to the run-flat tires, with no temporary spare or even a compressed-air bottle. Like the interior, the designers get a D for the cargo area.

ON THE ROAD:

On Hold...see below.

THE VERDICT:

Well, folks, toss all the stones you want at me, but, by the time I had finished looking at a couple versions of the UX, while I do admit that there are some nice things (and I listed them), I was disappointed enough with them that I saw little point in even bothering to go inside and get a dealer-plate for a formal test-drive, much less bothering the reps for nothing if their rules make them ride along with you (as is sometimes the case). It would, IMO, have been a waste of time...I knew that I probably wasn't going to recommend this vehicle to many, if any, potential customers, nor would I probably send them many customers for it. Of course, some people may be willing to overlook the vehicle's faults....even for a 40K price, and I'm sure that some of you, on the forum, will purchase or lease one and be happy with it....more power to you, and I respect your opinions. I, though, in my honest opinion, even without a test-drive, do not feel this vehicle is worth what Lexus is asking for it. Like my opinion of the Lexus CT200h some years ago when I reviewed it, I feel that this vehicle would be better-marketed as a Toyota, with a Toyota price. I also feel that the lack of a AWD option in the non-hybrid, gas-powered version is a serous marketing oversight. Indeed, for the money that a 38-40K UX Hybrid costs, one could go down the street to the Toyota shop and get a nice Limited or Adventure-level 2019 RAV-4, with significantly more room inside, a lot more comfort, and a lot more value for the money, dollar-for-dollar....and maybe even get back some change to keep in the bank. Or, of course, look at any one of the RAV-4's several excellent competitors.

Of course, I do most of my reviews by request, and, if any one of you, for any reason, still want me to do an actual test-drive, I can always go back and do one. More of them will probably be coming into the D.C. area with time.......maybe even some F-Sports. But, in general, my opinion is that you can better spend your money elsewhere.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.
smile.gif

MM

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Always appreciate your thorough reviews ... and in particular your candor in this one. The UX is no doubt meant to be a city car.

Thanks, RAL. :) Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here on a Lexus forum (and the car does, in fact, have some nice features)...but I just couldn't get over some of the materials used inside and the way they designed some of the controls/buttons.

Have you had a chance to see and/or test-drive a UX? What do you think of it?

Reactions: RAL

RAL

Reactions
Thanks, RAL. :) Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here on a Lexus forum (and the car does, in fact, have some nice features)...but I just couldn't get over some of the materials used inside and the way they designed some of the controls/buttons.

Have you had a chance to see and/or test-drive a UX? What do you think of it?
I saw a UX in the showroom while I was buying the ES. Didn't really take the time to examine it closely enough to form an opinion, but I think the center screen is much better integrated into the dash than that of the ES which is too obtrusive to the overall dash design. My initial response was that I liked the UX much more than the CT. Candidly though, I think money would be much better spent on an NX. I do agree with mikeavelli ... they have the demographic spot-on with this new model. It will be a great city car. It strikes me as much more substantial (Lexus-like) than the CT and likely those who shied away from the CT will take notice.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I saw a UX in the showroom while I was buying the ES. Didn't really take the time to examine it closely enough to form an opinion, but I think the center screen is much better integrated into the dash than that of the ES which is too obtrusive to the overall dash design.

The UX center-screen also has a nice analog clock.....one of its better features.

My initial response was that I liked the UX much more than the CT

It's certainly more versatile than the CT..and with a lot better ground clearance. The CT, in effect, almost drags the ground.

Candidly though, I think money would be much better spent on an NX. I do agree with mikeavelli ... they have the demographic spot-on with this new model. It will be a great city car.

I had not really thought of it as a "city" car....but you and Mike do have an interesting take.

It strikes me as much more substantial (Lexus-like) than the CT

Outside, I'd agree. Inside...there are a number of problems.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
You are not hurting anyone's feelings by pointing out the obvious thing: it is an entry-level 'premium' car that is meant to be of lower overall quality to have proper product stratification. I know I will stay away from this product simply because of what it is.

All they need to do is to be better than the competition, and by competition I mean lower trim X1, GLA, and Q3 that are still using mid-2000s bin parts in the interior. That is how bad entry level 'premium' cars are. Compared to them the UX is good enough. I am speaking for the chinese market only, of course, where brand snobbery is so ubiquitous BBA can easily get away with poor quality.

There's always this theory that the entry-level premium model only serves as a gateway to expand the customer base. It is supposed to feel inferior so people are encouraged to upgrade to a more expensive model when they get older and accumulate more wealth.

Indeed, for the money that a 38-40K UX Hybrid costs, one could go down the street to the Toyota shop and get a nice Limited or Adventure-level 2019 RAV-4, with significantly more room inside, a lot more comfort, and a lot more value for the money, dollar-for-dollar....and maybe even get back some change to keep in the bank.

You know this theory just doesn't work. In fact by this logic anything other than the RC, LS, and LC should be marketed as a Lexus. People rather buy less-equipped 'premium' products instead of value-packed 'regular' products for a reason. For the price of the UX hybrid you can get a full-size three-row SUV full of leather and a lot of horsepower, but BMW sells close to over five thousand X1s with Inline-3s and plastic interior at the same price, per month.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
You are not hurting anyone's feelings by pointing out the obvious thing: it is an entry-level 'premium' car that is meant to be of lower overall quality to have proper product stratification. I know I will stay away from this product simply because of what it is.

You could call the outside of this "premium"....not the inside, as least as I view it.

You know this theory just doesn't work. In fact by this logic anything other than the RC, LS, and LC should be marketed as a Lexus. People rather buy less-equipped 'premium' products instead of value-packed 'regular' products for a reason. For the price of the UX hybrid you can get a full-size three-row SUV full of leather and a lot of horsepower, but BMW sells close to over five thousand X1s with Inline-3s and plastic interior at the same price, per month.

I understand the point you are making (and respect it), but that wasn't quite what I was trying to say. When I said that the same money that bought a UX Hybrid would buy an upmarket RAV-4, I wasn't just talking about standard or optional equipment. I was referring to the RAV-4 being roomier, more versatile, (probably) smoother-riding, easier to get in and out of, and all-around more comfortable vehicle that would probably be easier for tall or heavy people to live with every day as a daily-driver. The RAV-4 lacks the panache of the Lexus nameplate, however, and, for some people, image is everything.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I understand the point you are making (and respect it), but that wasn't quite what I was trying to say. When I said that the same money that bought a UX Hybrid would buy an upmarket RAV-4, I wasn't just talking about standard or optional equipment. I was referring to the RAV-4 being roomier, more versatile, (probably) smoother-riding, easier to get in and out of, and all-around more comfortable vehicle that would probably be easier for tall or heavy people to live with every day as a daily-driver. The RAV-4 lacks the panache of the Lexus nameplate, however, and, for some people, image is everything.

You also have to get out of this idea that luxury has anything to do with size... it does not.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
i would also add with worse interior quality and much less features.
What the X1 does have in spades, however, is interior room, particularly cargo space. In fact, it has more cargo space than not just the UX (which is longer than the X1, by the way), and not just the NX, but the RX. All recent Lexus models, with the sole exception of the ES, have extremely poor packaging and are almost always dead last in interior room and cargo space in their respective classes. Lexus needs to realize that in any category other than perhaps sports cars, practicality matters. A good exterior design should not mean a compromised interior room when the competition have been able to attain both.
http://www.caranddriver.com.edgesui...pace-and-storage-review-car-and-driver-page-7

BMW X1:
2018-bmw-x1-07-z-inline-photo-688976-s-original.jpg

versus the Lexus UX, supposedly in the same class as the X1:
2019_lexus_ux_73bb2ef285c26898a2c115eb7ce120f77c77e5f5.jpg

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I know it's a bit of a different consumer who goes for a premium brand, but I can't imagine personally spending my money on an NX or UX when the new Rav4 just came out. Toyota did a great job, and it makes me excited for the 2NX.

I would also buy the new Corolla Hatch in a heartbeat over the UX.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
What the X1 does have in spades, however, is interior room, particularly cargo space. In fact, it has more cargo space than not just the UX (which is longer than the X1, by the way), and not just the NX, but the RX. All recent Lexus models, with the sole exception of the ES, have extremely poor packaging and are almost always dead last in interior room and cargo space in their respective classes.

interior space has nothing to do with luxury and desirability though, as NX has been showing for quite a while now.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I know it's a bit of a different consumer who goes for a premium brand, but I can't imagine personally spending my money on an NX or UX when the new Rav4 just came out. Toyota did a great job, and it makes me excited for the 2NX.

As you know, it is CHR that is related to the UX... I have yet to drive UX, but for me, CHR is underpowered and too noisy above 80 mph, so despite liking the styling and how it drives, i would never buy one for myself... with 250h and much better interior NVH, UX seems much better.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
As you know, it is CHR that is related to the UX... I have yet to drive UX, but for me, CHR is underpowered and too noisy above 80 mph, so despite liking the styling and how it drives, i would never buy one for myself... with 250h and much better interior NVH, UX seems much better.

In the C-HR threads for the last year, you've been telling us how premium it is, better than anything else, not underpowered, very comfortable, etc. What changed now?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions

The NX/Rav4 are too big to be city cars, and the Corolla isn't a *UV. For the market that's looking for it (and it's a market that's largely outside of the US) I think the UX will do well, just as the C-HR has.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
In the C-HR threads for the last year, you've been telling us how premium it is, better than anything else, not underpowered, very comfortable, etc. What changed now?

go back and re-read the posts (or dont, it is useless waste of time)... it is still premium for what it is and more premium than VW T-Roc, which is why it has been selling like crazy... i am used to Lexus premium though, and I want more.

I have been saying same things about it since i drove it for a little bit. NVH at highway speeds from 80 mph onwards and also acceleration at those speeds with Prius engine... In fact, if there is a facelift with 250h engine and better nvh, I might be there.

And yeah, Rav4 should be great offer too... I dont doubt it is less premium than UX, even in Euro version with all the bells and whistles.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
You also have to get out of this idea that luxury has anything to do with size... it does not.

Size, of course, is not the be-all or end-all, but, all else equal, it is more difficult to get comfort, a smooth ride, or interior room/quietness in a short-wheelbase vehicle. A larger, heavier, longer-wheelbase vehicle not only tends to make a more stable ride, but also leaves more room for added sound-insulation, sprung weight, and, in some cases, greater suspension-travel to soak up bumps. How many full-size sedans, for example, have a record of customer-complaints with ride-quality? Not many....except, perhaps, the big Chrysler/Dodge sedans with the Hemi engines and stiffer, performance suspensions.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
When I said that the same money that bought a UX Hybrid would buy an upmarket RAV-4, I wasn't just talking about standard or optional equipment. I was referring to the RAV-4 being roomier, more versatile, (probably) smoother-riding, easier to get in and out of, and all-around more comfortable vehicle that would probably be easier for tall or heavy people to live with every day as a daily-driver.

Don't take spwolf's and my comment out of the context. In many places of the world maneuverability is an important factor when people buy cars. The UX is exactly designed for markets where people simply don't 'just buy a bigger car'. Because if people only cared about size, they don't just stop at RAV4, they will buy a full-size (for the price of the UX) but that's obviously not what's really happening. We say these things because in places where we live, that is a genuine concern. And that doesn't mean people living in these places don't deserve 'entry-level premium' vehicles because size means premium. I will not go further than this but hopefully you got my point.

Lexus needs to realize that in any category other than perhaps sports cars, practicality matters. A good exterior design should not mean a compromised interior room when the competition have been able to attain both.

This is a quality comment. I always think they went a bit too far with form over function. In particular their packaging in sedans with the exception of ES are abysmal.