Expert
Reactions
MM Retro-Write-Up: Pontiac Aztek
pontiac-logo.jpg

exterior.jpg

e372d3d4-2408-4f39-b9ba-4fed94db2a29.JPG

61gNIx0pZ5L.jpg

20024.6175-556d581cc3528.jpg

EuVGX4HGdi1b11hLRaMdmBUNrmsE8p1qsHjOoRC5bEW0N0AbOKS5jJdWefXjtGke8b1mESkvaK2xgoZnUTj0L-2M6NmswQ0f

MORAL OF THE STORY: Even ugly ducklings have a face a mother will love.
inlove.gif

Although the current-generation Toyota Prius may rival it in the Looks-Can-Kill department, and the outrageously-styled (but unsuccessful and overpriced) Plymouth Prowler tried to be a niche-vehicle to aging Baby-Boomer street-rod fans, few modern vehicles have had an impact, from pure styling alone, on the automotive marketplace, as the infamous Pontiac Aztek. This vehicle is famous for turning off the public in droves,
eek.gif
and quickly became the laughing-stock of not only most automotive journalists, but some non-automotive ones as well.

However, I will admit that styling is subjective, and one person's sow's ear is (or can be) another one's silk purse. This was brought home to me quite plainly one afternoon back in 2003 or 2004 (don't remember the exact date). One of my Supervisors (he was partially Hearing and Speech-Impared) had grabbed a well-earned retirement the previous year, and had sent me an E-mail asking me if I would help him find a replacement Chevy Suburban or GMC Yukon XL to replace his old Suburban (he travelled and carried heavy loads, hence the Suburban). He said his son-in-law would come along to help with the interpretation for me.

So, anyhow, all three of us did some searching, and a nearby Pontiac/GMC dealer (I think it was King Pontiac/GMC City) in Gaithersburg, MD had a light cement-gray-colored Yukon XL in stock, with matching-color interior (IMO, many GM interiors were awful in those days). It was in the price and equipment-range he was looking for. So, I agreed to go out to the place, look it over for him, test-drive it, inspect it for defects, and have the son-in-law (who drove a BMW 540i) do the same. I didn't like the brakes (neither did his son-in-law) as the brakes on full-sized GM truck-platforms were notoriously weak and ineffective back then, taking a LOT of pedal-pressure for even a moderate stop, but my ex-boss decided he wanted it, and took it home.

Well, I won't dwell on this story any more (it's not the actual subject of this write-up) because something very interesting happened while we were there looking at the Yukon XL. A fairly young couple (I'd estimate late 20s or early 30s) drove up, got out, went over to a white Aztec parked not far from where we were, and seemed to instantly fall in love with it. They seemed mesmerized with it, and looked it over inside and out like a kid with a new toy. Even the sales-rep was surprised, and confided to us (out of earshot of the couple, of course) that he had never seen anyone take to an Aztek like that. The other sales-rep, who was with the couple, went inside, got the keys and dealer-plate, and went out on a test-drive with them. That was it....sold. They got back, the Aztek went into the PDI wash-bay, was prepared, and the couple took it home that afternoon. The sales-rep who sold it to them told us the same thing that our own Yukon sales-rep did....that was one of the most remarkable sales they had ever seen at the dealership, and, of course, neither of them were complaining LOL. As the couple was getting ready to leave with their new Aztek, even though I didn't personally know them, I gave them a small bottle of SCRATCH-OUT...as I did my ex-boss as he left with his new Yukon XL.

Unlike most of my write-ups, I'm not going to get into the actual road-manners of the Aztek, or describe what it is like on the road, because I can't. I never actually got around to test-driving one, although, at the request of one of my other co-workers, I did test-drive the Buick Rendevous, which was done on the same platform as the Aztek and shared the same drivetrain (3.4L V6, 4-speed automatic) but had less-controversial styling and, IMO, a better interior. The Rendezvous drove exactly the way one would expect it to....basically a mid-sized crossover-appliance, although I suspect that the Aztek probably rode a little more firmly and handled a little better than the Buick, simply because most Pontiacs, at the time, were somewhat more sport-oriented than Buicks. The Aztek, typical of Pontiacs of the time, also had a noticeably cheaper interior than the Rendezvous, with some very unimpressive materials. But even the Rendezvous interior, although a little nicer than the Aztek's, can't compare to most of the Buick interiors of today.

(My co-worker did, BTW, end up buying a new Rendezvous for him and his family).

And, as Always, Happy Car-Memories
smile.gif

MM

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I've heard that the Aztek is kind of a cult classic vehicle amongst certain people into camping and hiking and that kind of thing - apparently the cargo room was decent for its size class and you could get it with a 120 volt outlet in the back.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
What is astonishing is today and since the Aztek we have pretty damn ugly SUVs/CUVs whatever things that actually sell. Aztek had the last laugh.

I think that, today, the difference is that people are used to seeing outlandish vehicle-designs. That was not necessarily the case 20 years ago, when the Aztek and Plymouth Prowler took the industry by surprise.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I thought the Prowler looked great, but I love 50s and 60s-style hotrods (the canonical chopped-and-channeled '32 Ford). Certainly more of a true retro design than the PT Cruiser or Chevy HHR. Wildly impractical though.

Mike's right, too: the pictures of the Aztek here just register as "typical circa-2000 GM styling" now rather than outrageous like it did at the time.