Reactions
MM Retro Write-Up: 2001-2007 Ford Escape
Ford-Logo-history.jpg

10620408-2002-ford-escape-std.jpg

e20f818248ca008183a6dce966032d2b.jpg

2001_ford_escape_4dr-suv_xlt_i_oem_2_500.jpg

5.jpg

2002_ford_escape_xls_4wd-pic-3954086222074257094-640x480.jpeg

a3A7AcOwpFVBEaMlaDdHFKqdk8LF9nSPn0RNmB8kewBVF1ge279B6VRPeCMyAWyRaIsGpHv9YwCxaB3SO-ataG3BxxOUW0y8rBSUSeggxJF4tw

In the late 1990s, after the long-standing success of the truck-based Ford Explorer SUV and the rapidly-rising success of smaller car-based crossover SUVs such as the Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V, and Subaru Outback/Forester, Ford's designers and planners decided that the time had come for them to enter that rapidly-growing segment and introduce a car-based crossover of their own. Since Ford owned them at the time, the project was shared with Mazda, who did much of the engineering, and the first version was introduced in the fall of 2000 as a 2001 model....and was built until the 2008 model year. Both an in-line naturally-aspirated 2.0L four and 3.0L V6 engines were offered. The Mazda version, known as the Tribute, was strongly related, but was not quite a rebadge...there were some minor differences in styling and interior. A few years later, a slightly upmarket Mercury Mariner version was added (one of my co-workers and his wife owned a nice Second-Generation Mariner, and loved it)...but the Tribute and Mariner versions, in the American market, never sold in the huge numbers the Ford version did. In many ways, the new, smaller Escape was just as much, if not more, of a success as the original trend-setting, truck-based Explorer....and, of course, unlike the Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer, the Escape was not plagued by the Firestone Wilderness tire-failure/rollover incidents.

I was a big fan of the original Escape...somewhat less so of the second-generation and current (fourth)-generation versions, and did not like the quirky third-generation model at all, which was essentially a rebadged European Ford Kuga. The Escape was also one of the first American-badged vehicles to get a hybrid version. Some of the hybrid components on it were derived, under license, from Toyota, who, at the time, was considered the world leader in hybrid vehicles (still is, to an extent). I liked the general design of the first-generation model, with the classic two-box design for space-efficiency and its handsomely-done lines. In those days, interior space-efficiency and outward-visibility were given priority over the swoopy lines/angles, sport-oriented styling, large blind spots, and a reliance on cameras for much of the visibility that we see today. (Subaru is an an exception...they still do small crossovers the old-fashioned way, with tall rooflines, large windows, and good outward visibility). One of my old friends, a condo-neighbor of mine, had a first-generation V6 Escape, painted bright yellow.....sharp-looking paint job. He had a very interesting license plate on it....ADOCDOC....which I can share today without violating privacy-concerns, since he passed away several years ago. When he first got that plate, I couldn't figure out what the letters meant until he told me....a Paradox. He was somewhat of a quirky driver...wouldn't turn left with oncoming traffic if there was no traffic-light, and would drive a mile or two out of his way if needed to avoid that. Never had an accident, though, in the time I knew him, and I used to ride around with him when we would go shopping together. We took about a 15 or 20-mile drive in it (one-way) when it was brand-new, down to see his insurance agent so he could get a policy on it....stopped at my brother's house on the way back, so we could wash and clean it up there (our condo doesn't allow outdoor hoses or water-faucets). When he went out of town for a week or two or so with his girl friend (can't remember exactly how long), he left me the keys to it (he trusted my driving), and told me to drive it locally every couple of days, even if there was snow, to keep the battery charged and the mechanicals lubed. I did what he asked, and took it down to Fuddrucker's for a bite to eat, on a mildly-snowy night, to test the Ford car-based AWD system and see if it was as good as Subaru's for traction...no problems, tracked as good as my Outback did, and I didn't have any noticeable wheel-spin under reasonably light throttle. I cleaned it up, of course, after driving it on the snowy road. (Oh, and not long after that, so much for those big Fuddrucker's hamburgers....I gave up beef and pork, permanently, for health reasons).

I felt in the past, and still do today, that the first-generation Escape, to my line of thinking and senses, was clearly the best of the four versions, even though the current fourth-generation version, of course, comes with a lot more features. The second-generation model kept a nice two-box design for space-efficiency and visibility, but was a noticeable cheapening in sheet metal, interior trim/hardware, door-solidness, and fit/finish. The third-generation model (a redone European Ford Kuga) was just plain quirky and had an awful rear-seat, and the fourth-generation model is a noticeable improvement over the third in many areas, but still not as solid-feeling as the first-generation, and the entry level version has an unrefined turbocharged three-cylinder....the nice V6 having been dropped for the third-generation.

The first-generation version had a reasonably smooth ride (crossover tires were of higher-profile in those days than today), good handling, relatively good traction from the AWD system as I explained above, good build-quality, reasonable power, and, IMO, was generally a pleasure to drive....much more so than the larger truck-based Ford Explorer, which, at the time, drove more like....well, a truck. The interior was not particularly plush-looking, but used decent materials, was reasonably well-assembled, relatively comfortable, and offered good versatility. There was only one thing in the interior that I thought the designers really messed up on. Depending on interior trim, there were two different shifters for the 4-speed automatic...a fore/aft console-lever and a column-mounted lever. The console-shifter was fine, but the column lever had a bad quirk...the left hand on the designers didn't know what the right one was doing. When the lever was in the "D" position used most often for driving, its long right-handle stuck out and, out an inch or so away, almost completely blocked some of the radio and climate-adjustment controls...you had to take your eyes off the road, stick your fingers around the lever, and try and adjust those controls the best you could...somewhat awkwardly. But that was the only real quirk I could find inside, and even that column-lever had one nice feature.....I liked the way that it used digital PRNDL figures in a small window to show you what gear you were in as the lever moved, instead of the old plastic pointer sticking up and moving back and forth.

And, today, my (current) next-door neighbor still owns a burgundy-color first-generation Escape...it's getting up in years now, with some body-rust on it, but is still apparantly dependable basic transportation and running well. She has not (yet) seen any reason to replace it......especially after her husband came home with a beautiful brand new Ford Expedition last year to replace his old one.

And, as Always, Happy Vehicle-Memories.
smile.gif

MM

DRIVING IS BELIEVING
boink.gif

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The first-gen Escape was definitely the best-looking. At the time I didn't realize how much it looked like a softer mini-Explorer but it seems obvious now. And I'm glad the cladding fad went away.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The first-gen Escape was definitely the best-looking. At the time I didn't realize how much it looked like a softer mini-Explorer but it seems obvious now. And I'm glad the cladding fad went away.

Totally agree it was the best-looking. Some Limited-Trim versions, starting in 2003, were built without the cladding......here, I'll post some.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of body-colored cladding....and specifically ordered my Encore GX without it (it comes with the ST-Sport package, and only in certain colors). I tend to like the black or dark gray vinyl-cladding, because it gives a nice two-tone effect and helps protect the lower body and wheel wells from damage from salt and road-debris. Monotone paint-schemes, IMO, look more dull than two-tones.

2003 True Blue Metallic Ford Escape Limited #28064718 | GTCarLot.com - Car  Color Galleries

Satin Silver Metallic 2003 Ford Escape Limited 4WD Exterior Photo #50005273  | GTCarLot.com

Amazon.com: 2003 Ford Escape Limited Reviews, Images, and Specs: Vehicles

2004 Ford Escape | conceptcarz.com

Last edited: