MM Retro Write-Up: 1994 Dodge Ram Pickup

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
MM Retro-Write-Up: 1994 Dodge Ram Pickup

IN A NUTSHELL: Macho-styled, and arguably the most important new Dodge/Ram truck ever introduced.

dodge_ram_logo_2_3d_model_c4d_max_obj_fbx_ma_lwo_3ds_3dm_stl_2793563_o.jpg

il_fullxfull.2277053530_567g.jpg

1994_dodge_ram-1500_1994_dodge_ram-1500_28d9d95d-8db7-4b3e-9c21-8afb32b09f24-4ex2mx-41473-16520.jpg

dodge_ram_1994_pictures_4_1280x960.jpg

images_dodge_ram_1994_1.jpg

dodge_ram_1994_photos_2.jpg

4c5116cd2c1b35312160d6a58173f9a41b9120b6.jpg

wallpapers_dodge_ram_1994_2.jpg

QO%2FV9%2FJI%2FFYPIQF6PYW8QRP.jpg

1996_dodge_ram-pickup-3500_extended-cab-pickup_laramie-slt_ri_oem_1_500.jpg

d30e148780_640.jpg

^^^^^^^Cummins Diesel

At one time, many decades ago, Dodge trucks were quite significant, particularly with the large well-known 6x6 Dodge military trucks of WorldWar II and the later 4-wheel-Drive Power Wagon of the 1950s. After that, however, despite their durable and reliable engines and automatic transmissions, Dodge full-size pickups languished on the market in comparison to the significantly more popular Ford F-series trucks and their Twin-I-Beam front suspensions and the Chevy/GMC C/K Fleetside/Silverado/Sierras. The Dodges actually competed more against minor-league players like the Studebaker, International, and Jeep pickups than they did against Fords and Chevys. This was for a number of reasons, but among them were the tendency of Dodge trucks, like many other Chrysler products, to be sloppily-assembled, crudely-finished, unreliable, and beset with rust problems. Studebaker and International (International Harvester), of course, went out of business, and Jeep stopped making pickups for several decades, resuming again only fairly recently with the Wrangler-based Gladiator pickup…..so Dodge trucks, at least, lost some of their competition for awhile, which helped them keep at least one foot in the door of the domestic full-size truck market. That, plus the fact that the Dodge trucks were generally a little more popular with fleet-orders than they were with private-sales…..Dodge negotiated good prices for those fleet and bulk-orders.

And that full-size truck-domestic market is extremely important. It consists of what are arguably some of the most dedicated and loyal fans in the country….particularly with the F-Series and Chevy C/K Silverado…the GMC Sierras also have their fans, but are more upmarket and not as widely-driven as the Silverados. Up until around 1994 or so, the F-Series/Silverado dominance of this field was an almost impossible nut to crack….and even ever-popular Toyota with its ill-fated attempts with the T-100/T150 and First-Generation Tundras went almost nowhere trying to penetrate it. Tundras did not really begin to sell in large numbers until the mid-2000s and its Second-Generation. Dodge tried marketing their trucks, without a whole lot of success, not only under the Dodge nameplate but also the Dodge “Ram” sub-designation (later to be re-organized into a whole new independent Ram-Truck division).

By the early 1990s, however, the Dodge marketers (and one must remember that this was before the Daimler/Mercedes takeover of Chrysler in 1998 and Mercedes calling the shots) decided it was time to toss out the rule-book (which clearly wasn’t working) and, and in the effort to catch the F-Series and Silverado, try something radically different. And different it was….quite significantly. For 1994, the all-new generation Dodge Ram pickup was ready. And it took the auto-show circuit that year by storm….and I can still remember the attention it got at the D.C. Auto Show that year. Gone was the traditional slab-sided three-box-styling that had characterized Dodge trucks for decades. Gone was the sloppy fit/finish of previous Dodge trucks. one was the typical Chrysler crap-hardware and trim inside and out, although the new hardware wasn’t all that much of an improvement from a durability standpoint…Chrysler has never excelled in that field. As I recall (although I am not 100% certain of this), Dodge even dropped the exterior wood-gain siding that they had offered as an option for many years (something I’ve always liked the looks of).

But the real eye-opener was the totally-new front-end, which, as I mentioned above, clearly tossed the old rule-book out the door. The hood was massively high, with a large honking/gaping grille and a classic droop-fender-effect on the sides, which clearly mimicked the look of the big-rig/semi diesel trailer-trucks which carried so much freight and cargo across the country. Inside, the all-new interior featured a ultra-wide console up front, between the seats, with large containers and a portable top to the console that could be used as a mini-office for the (then) ever-increasing popularity of laptops and personal computers Almost overnight, it transformed the Ram trucks from so-so second-rate competitors of Ford and Chevy to a credible, and even desirable alternative. This was one of those rare moments in truck history when a new model makes a big impact on the market..as the Ford Lightning all-electric truck is doing today. But, even so, the F-150 and Silverado sold in such huge numbers, both to fleet-buyers and private individuals, that even the new 1994 Rams weren’t going to knock them out of first and second-place overnight, although a few years ago, the Silverado DID lose second-place to the Ram for a brief period, primarily because of the Silverado’s dated interior and the remarkable road-manners of recent Ram 1500-Series trucks, which offer coil-spring suspension and a remarkably smooth and quiet ride compared to the traditionally leaf-sprung truck-suspensions and lack of sound insulation.

But, back to the 1994 Ram. I would add that this new design was unveiled by none-other than Bob Lutz himself…someone I have always had a high opinion of in the vehicle business. It also introduced (then) new seating/configurations into the truck business….in addition to regular cabs, the 2-door Club Cabs and the 4-door Quad Cabs. Under the hood, engine-options backed up the Macho/big-rig styling…..a base 3.9L V6, the tried-and-true always-durable 5.2L and 5.9L V8s, and, for really heavy loads, the ultra-powerful Cummins turbo-diesel straight-six and 8.0L Magnum V10. Transmissions ranged from three different versions of the 4-speed automatic to two different 5-speed manuals and a six-speed manual. A shortened 3-door SUV version, the Ramcharger, was offered in Mexico but not in the U.S…..this, IMO, was a marketing mistake, as the large full-size 3-door Ford Bronco and Chevy Blazer SUVs could have used a Dodge competitor. (This, BTW, was a REAL Chevy Blazer, not the IMO ridiculous mid-sized crossover Mommy-Wagon with the Blazer name on it that GM is hawking today).

Though still not quite selling in F-150 or Silverado numbers, the new droop-fender styling was obviously a big initial success, so Dodge and Ram basically kept it for a number of years……and vestiges of it can still be seen today in the latest Ram trucks, almost 30 years later. Though most of the attention today is on hybrid and battery-powered electric-trucks such as the Rivian, Ford Lightning, and the (IMO) ridiculous pyramid-shaped Tesla Cybertruck, the original 1994 market-changing Dodge Ram will go down in the annals of truck history as one of the most significant new models ever introduced.

And, as Always, Happy-Vehicle-Memories
smile.gif

MM

DRIVING IS BELIEVING
boink.gif

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I never owned one of these trucks, but I did have a 76 D100. I remember when the 94's came out, they were revolutionary in their front end design. I still like them to this day.... it's hard to find a nice creampuff on the road though, they're mostly rotted out hoopties around here.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I never owned one of these trucks, but I did have a 76 D100. I remember when the 94's came out, they were revolutionary in their front end design. I still like them to this day.... it's hard to find a nice creampuff on the road though, they're mostly rotted out hoopties around here.

I had an 85 Ram 100, bought it for $500 from an older gentleman.

Reactions
1664219454581.png
More like polluting the environment

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

Yes, they did rust with time.....but one must take into account three things. First, the oldest of these trucks (the 94s) are now going on 30 years old. Second, a lot of them, as work-trucks, were (and still are) used under conditions that promote rust. Third, a lot of them probably weren't regularly washed under the frame to get the salt off.