MM Mini-Review: 2015 Kia Sedona Limited

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
A Mini-Review of the all-new 2015 Kia Sedona

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/sed...ce?story=hello

IN A NUTSHELL: A lot of minivan for the buck, even with the top-level SX Limited.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, Chrysler Town & Country (the Dodge Caravan is being dropped).

OVERVIEW:

I took some time out today, at a local Kia dealership, to look at some lower-line models for my brother (who may have a purchase coming up soon), and got the best possible news we could have got. Looks like an AWD Soul is coming for 2016, which is EXACTLY what my brother wanted....now he won't have to settle for a Sportage. The Jeep Renegade is the same size and shoe-box-shape as the Soul, with AWD, but I wasn't impressed with its build quality or materials.

This, however, is not about my brother or the Soul, but the Sedona. While I was there, I saw a nice dark-cherry, top-of-the-line SX Limited Sedona minivan sitting in the lot...the first time I had seen one close-up since the D.C. Auto Show at the end of January. There has been at least some talk and interest in the auto forums about the new Sedona, and one of my colleagues has a brand-new one, just a couple of weeks old, that he seems quite pleased with. So, I thought I'd check it out and test-drive one while I was there, and at least write up a condensed mini-review instead of my usual full-length detailed one. I went inside, got the key and a dealer-plate, checked it over inside and out, and off I went.

The first-generation Sedona (known as the "Carnival" in some countries), seemed quite solidly screwed together, using good interior and exterior materials (and its weight confirmed some of that solidness). It was also a steal, price-wise...a co-worker of mine took home a V6-equipped 2003 model on sale for roughly 18K, out-the-door. But it also, according to Consumer Reports, had some unreliable mechanical parts. My co-worker's transmission, for example went out at just over 100K miles......which is Kia's warranty limit, but Kia still went 50/50 with him on the new transmission, which shows that the company has integrity. The second-generation Sedona was essentially the same minivan as the Hyundai Entourage, and, as expected, proved more reliable.

Now, for 2015, comes the all-new third-generation Sedona. Trim levels have been expanded from three to five, and now include L, LX, EX, SX, and SX L (Limited). All versions come with FWD and use a 3.3L V6 and a 6-speed Sportshift automatic transmission. Base prices start at $26,100 for the L, and run to $39,700 for the Limited.....the one I sampled.

Overall, I had quite a high opinion of the SXL, though lower-line, less-expensive versions may not have been quite as impressive. The SXL is not cheap, especially by Kia standards, but, even at a 40K price, it gives you a lot.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2015 Kia Sedona SX Limited

BASE PRICE: $39,700

OPTIONS:

Cargo Net: $50

Mud Guards: $95

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $895 (not bad for a vehicle this size)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $40,740

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, Transverse-mounted 3.3L V6, 276 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 248 Ft-lbs. @ 5200 RPM, 6-speed automatic transmission with manual mode.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 17 City, 22 Highway, 19 Combined
(For some reason, though, all with the same drivetrain, different versions of the Sedona have different EPA ratings)

EXTERIOR COLOR: Black Berry (dark burgundy)

INTERIOR: Two-Tone Gray Leather with rear Captain's Chairs.

(Oddly, this color combination is not listed on Kia's current web-site for the new Sedona. It shows, instead, for the SX and Limited trims, a Venetian Red exterior and Burgundy Leather interior)

PLUSSES:

Smooth, refined, but not powerful engine.

Silky-shifting 6-speedSportshift transmission.

Good ride comfort even with 19" wheels/tires.

Quiet ride with effective wind/road noise isolation.

Generally good brakes.

Front doors close with a solid and precise thunk....not as much so with the hood.

Well-done paint job.

Very plush-looking interior on the Limited model.

Generally nice padded interior materials; but with some hard shiny plastic.

Good interior and exterior hardware.

Solid-feeling, well-laid-out, easy-to-use controls/buttons/knobs.

Clear, easy-to-read gauges.

Very long (but somewhat limited) warranties.

Very comfortable front weather seats.

Rear leather Captain's Chairs as comfortable as those up front, and include fore/aft adjustment and leg-extenders.

Extensive comfort/convienience/safety items on SX and Limited models.

Nice stereo sound....but not a killer.

Good headroom, front and rear.

MINUSES:

Awkward-operating mechanisms for 3rd row seat folding.

Manual prop under the hood instead of gas struts.

Relatively tight engine fit (and engine cover) gives limited access to some underhood components.

Fake-looking/feeling "wood" steering wheel.

Compressed-air bottle instead of a spare tire.

Cargo trunk-floor in back very low.....requires stooping down to reach things.

Somewhat dull paint colors...but that is objective, and just my opinion.

THE VERDICT:

Good job, Kia. I found very little to significantly complain about in the SXL, other than the awkward 3rd-seat folding/stowing mechanism, Fix-a-Flat bottle, and the manual prop-rod for the hood. The Toyota Sienna, yes, offers an AWD option that the Sedona and other American-market minivans lack. But the Sedona is large and heavy enough that its FWD and all-season tires should keep it going through most winter conditions short of really slick roads or very deep snow. In general, the new Sedona seems like money well-spent, if a minivan is what best suits your needs.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
From a glance it seems like a nice exterior, with a very dated-looking interior. When you start focusing on small details however, you'll see this Kia quickly loses ground to the Sienna and Odyssey. Most people say this Kia is a good choice because it's cheaper than the Sienna or Odyssey, but you get what you pay for here. A lot of small details that minivan owners and buyers appreciate are absent in the Sedona.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
From a glance it seems like a nice exterior, with a very dated-looking interior. When you start focusing on small details however, you'll see this Kia quickly loses ground to the Sienna and Odyssey. Most people say this Kia is a good choice because it's cheaper than the Sienna or Odyssey, but you get what you pay for here. A lot of small details that minivan owners and buyers appreciate are absent in the Sedona.

I highly respect your opinion, :) but two things. First, as far as the price goes, while it is not quite as expensive as, say, a loaded Sienna Limited with AWD (which can run into the mid-high 40s), the SX-Limited is not chump change.....in my book, 40K is a good chunk of cash. But IMO, you get your money's worth for it. Second, the interior may look dated to some, but it is super-comfortable, using nice materials, nicely-laid out, and with clear, easy-to-use controls, knobs, and gauges. This is a clearly a vehicle you can get into, relax, enjoy a nice smooth, quiet refined ride, touch and sit on nice leather and materials, and, even in the second-row Captain's Chairs (Kia calls them First-Class Lounge seating), enjoy comfort all day long on a long trip. I'd bet that's more important to a lot of buyers than space-ship styling....one does not usually buy a minivan to turn heads with its looks.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
BTW, just for the record (though I can't edit the review past 30 minutes) .....there may be a quirk in the Kia website. They show temporary spare tires for some of their vehicles, and simply blanks (no information at all) for others, including the Sedona. I didn't actually see a spare tire on my Sedona (perhaps I didn't just look hard enough, or just took the salesperson's word when they themselves are sometimes wrong), but someone who just bought a new Sedona told me that theirs actually has a temporary spare in a hidden, hard-to find compartment. And even the one I looked at had jacking tools. So I'm going to contact Kia about this myself and give them a heads-up on that (possible) web site problem.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Thanks for the mini-review Mike.

I like the continual refinements Kia (and Hyundai) are injecting with every new gen and the Sedona is not exception. However, since the mediocre reliability precedes the new model, I would still stay away until new data in a few years comes about with the Sedona. My colleague had the previous gen and although mechanically was sound, electrical issues were prominent including a tempermental power sliding door.

If I were in the minivan market, Sienna SE my first choice followed by the Odyssey.

C&D did a real-world extended review with staff families and kids and Sienna won by a good margin with winning points in seating comfort, cargo, quality/fit and finish, NVH, and so on while the Kia was weakest in these areas.

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...ng-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-5

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thanks for the mini-review Mike.

I like the continual refinements Kia (and Hyundai) are injecting with every new gen and the Sedona is not exception. However, since the mediocre reliability precedes the new model, I would still stay away until new data in a few years comes about with the Sedona. My colleague had the previous gen and although mechanically was sound, electrical issues were prominent including a tempermental power sliding door.

If I were in the minivan market, Sienna SE my first choice followed by the Odyssey.

C&D did a real-world extended review with staff families and kids and Sienna won by a good margin with winning points in seating comfort, cargo, quality/fit and finish, NVH, and so on while the Kia was weakest in these areas.

Yes, according to Consumer Reports, the 1Gen models did have reliability problems, although the one my co-worker bought (at a steal, for 18K) was reliable for over 100,000 miles. The 2Gen showed significant improvement, and the new 3Gen remains to be seen. But, while respecting C&D's opinion (and, like most enthusiast magazines, they have generally never liked minivans as a class), I found the new Limited model to be very plush inside and comfortable to both drive and ride in. (C&D also gave the Sedona 20 out of 20 points for price/value though 40K certainly is not chump-change).

You mentioned power-sliding door problems on your friend's version. That is an issue that has affected a number of minivans, even the generally reliable Honda Odyssey. Part of that is because some of the minvan manufacturers did not develop their own power-door mechanisms, but subcontracted it out or bought the existing hardware from other manufacturers. The Odyssey, for example, used a GM-designed system (dating from the bad old days at GM), for a number of years before finally installing a Honda-designed one.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Great review Mike..I have to admit this van has my curiosity so glad you covered it. How do you feel about all these vans creeping in price to the 40-50k range?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
LexFather said:
Great review Mike..

Thanks. It isn't really one of my longer, better ones...just a condensed one.

I have to admit this van has my curiosity so glad you covered it. How do you feel about all these vans creeping in price to the 40-50k range?

Well, of course, with the Sedona, the 40K+ buys the plush, top-line, ultra-comfortable Limited version, not a base 26K model. Kia says that the Limited also has extra sound-insulation in it, which explains the refined, quiet ride. But the Limited trades the added capacity of a 3-seat second row for some of the best Captain's Chairs I've sampled (Hyundai calls it First Class Lounge-Seating). Other top-line minivans, like the Sienna Limited and the Honda Odyssey Touring-Elite, do cost a little more, but the Sienna, in particular, gives you the advantage of an AWD option for bad weather....and traditional Toyota reliability.

Conversely, on the bottom end, I personally would like to see some more competition for the low-end 26K Sedona. The lower-priced Ford and GM minivans were all dropped years ago, the Plymouth Voyager died with the Plymouth nameplate, and the base-model Sedona's only true remaining American-brand competitor, the Dodge Caravan, is also being dropped, leaving the more expensive Town & Country as the Chrysler alternative. However, these is some talk of decontenting the base T&C and maybe dropping its price a little to partly fill the void that the Caravan will leave.....we'll see how that bears out.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I highly respect your opinion, :) but two things. First, as far as the price goes, while it is not quite as expensive as, say, a loaded Sienna Limited with AWD (which can run into the mid-high 40s), the SX-Limited is not chump change.....in my book, 40K is a good chunk of cash. But IMO, you get your money's worth for it. Second, the interior may look dated to some, but it is super-comfortable, using nice materials, nicely-laid out, and with clear, easy-to-use controls, knobs, and gauges. This is a clearly a vehicle you can get into, relax, enjoy a nice smooth, quiet refined ride, touch and sit on nice leather and materials, and, even in the second-row Captain's Chairs (Kia calls them First-Class Lounge seating), enjoy comfort all day long on a long trip. I'd bet that's more important to a lot of buyers than space-ship styling....one does not usually buy a minivan to turn heads with its looks.

Thanks, likewise I respect your opinion as well :). What Corrado mentioned is mainly what I was referring to. Those finer details for families that the Sedona is weak in.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'm going to notify Kia of the problems with their website this morning regarding the temporary spare tire issues...not only for the Sedona but for several other vehicles as well. Hopefully they will correct that. Had to wait for Monday morning and do and do it by phone......they close down for the weekends and don't have direct E-Mail access unless you are a Kia owner. Definitely not one of the better web-sites for general-public access, either.

Reactions: CIF