MM Full-Review: 2021 Kia Seltos

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
An MM-Full-Review of the all-new 2021 Kia Seltos.

https://www.kia.com/us/en/seltos

kia-logo-lg-672x372.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

dims

2021-Kia-Seltos-Interior-Rear-Seats-Wallpaper-2.jpg

.....And, below, here are the camera-shots I took. The shrink-wrapping on the seats shows it is a new vehicle.

img_0151_d1cb4777037cc10af5f0e48a5e592c3fcef6e239.jpg

img_0155_e7b92e0d587dd2a91e1d00984d28c72211bbbf42.jpg

img_0149_1373644838d928a94c5782cebdedb056f0a6c6a4.jpg

img_0153_61f8e000e9d752bc6572f9e57e769c61dd370d58.jpg

IN A NUTSHELL: A good small crossover...but it is surrounded by many other good or excellent small crossovers.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Hyundai Kona, Hyundai Venue (FWD only), Hyundai Ioniq (FWD only), Kia Niro (FWD only), Kia Soul (FWD only), Toyota C-HR (FWD only), Ford Ecosport, Chevrolet Trailblazer, Nissan Kicks, Nissan Rogue Sport, Mazda CX-3, Honda HR-V, Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, Subaru Crosstrek, Fiat 500X, Jeep Renegade, Jeep Compass.

OVERVIEW:

Until the recent coronavirus pandemic put a big dent in the sale of almost all vehicles, the world of small subcompact-to-compact (B-to-C-class) crossover vehicles was arguably the fastest-growing section of the U.S. automotive market. These hugely popular vehicles, which sell primarily because of their relatively low prices, ease entry/exit, ground-clearance, usefulness/flexibility/all-weather capability, and economy of operation, have become the new automotive standard for millions of Americans. Besides the Seltos itself and the 17 of its relatively low-priced competitors I listed above are a number of upmarket/premium-priced vehicles (which admittedly cost more), like the Lexus UX, Buick Encore, Buick Encore GX (actually two totally different Encores), Mercedes GLA/GLB, and BMW X1. And even that list does include the (literally) dozens of both lower and upmarket-priced crossovers that are solidly in the compact (C-class), a half-size-to-one size larger than the vehicles I listed above. So, it doesn't take a mathematician (or, maybe it does?) to figure out that the subcompact-to-compact crossover buyer in the U.S. has an enormous (and growing) choice of vehicles and price-ranges that literally can boggle the mind....particularly for a person not used to researching such a large number of potential vehicles on their shopping.

So, let's focus on just one of them here.....Kia's relatively new Seltos, which is now considered Kia's entry-level FWD/AWD crossover in the American market. The FWD-only Niro hybrid slots in the general size-range, the FWD-only Soul crossover slightly undercuts the Seltos in price, and the larger Sportage AWD is compact, not subcompact, in size. I say the Niro is FWD only because it is not a true AWD in a crossover sense...a small 45-hp electric booster-motor powers the rear wheels only in certain conditions.

Kia has become a real powerhouse in today's auto world, with not only a large increase in sales over the years, but also large increases in product quality, increases in price (better quality usually isn't a free-lunch...good materials and quality-control-costs money), increases in the number and types of vehicles it offers, increases in vehicle-reliability, and increases in customer satisfaction. Still, despite price-increases, today's Kia products are generally reasonably-priced, though maybe not quite the bargains they were maybe 10 years ago. It wasn't always that way, though, as, during the 1980s and 1990s, the brand had one of the most dismal reputations in the business, despite the fact that it assembled (and in some cases, designed) vehicles for both Ford and Mazda. Its first attempts to sell vehicles in the American market, particularly with larger vehicles like the Amati, were feeble to say the least. Potential customers in those days were leery of the brand....some still are, and are living in the past, as they have (willfully or otherwise) failed to notice or act on the brand's now-excellent reputation. But, life (and Kia sales) go on, despite the naysayers...the company is in an excellent position today. The Telluride crossover SUV, and its Hyundai Palisade corporate brother, which are considered between medium and full-sized, have been more in demand lately than the factory can supply, despite an early-production glitch with a wind-noise issue. A new K5 replacement for the mid-sized Optima sedan is headed to the American market in the near-future...I plan to take a look at that and at least do a write-up, if not a full-review.

The Seltos, for the American market, comes in five different trim-levels...the LX ($21,990), S ($21,990), EX ($25,290), S Turbo ($25,490), and SX Turbo ($27,890). Non-turbo models come with a normally-aspirated 2.0L in-line four of 146 HP / 132 ft-lbs. of torque and an IVT (Intelligent Variable Transmission)...which is Kia-speak for how they are tuning their CVTs. Turbo models come with a 1.6L turbocharged in-line-four of 175 HP / 197 ft-lbs. of torque and a 7-speed dual-clutch (DCT) transmission...which is essentially a computer-operated/controlled manual transmission, with no clutch pedal, that shifts like an automatic except with pre-programmed gears that are ready for the next shift before it actually happens. S models come with FWD...the others with AWD / Torque-Vectoring and a differential-lock for tough on-pavement conditions. Like most crossovers, this is not a true off-roader, but it can do some off-roading in relatively tame conditions. Before we go on, I'd like to point out, even as somewhat of a GM fan, that the Seltos, as with most of the many small crossovers that I listed above, comes standard with at least an in-line four engine...the Chevy Trailblazer, Buick Encore GX (not the regular Encore), and Ford Ecosport come with standard three-cylinder turbos, which make good power for their very small size, but their cylinder-configuration gives noticeable vibration at lower RPMs....those engines seem to have been developed mainly for the Chinese-market and simply transplanted into the U.S. Don't get me wrong.....I like most of what the Trailblazer and Encore GX give you (and I could see myself driving one), but the engines and undersized center-dash-air-vents, IMO, are a noticeable letdown. And the Ford Ecoboost, with the three-cylinder, gives you an optional four-cylinder for smoother-running...the four is standard on some upmarket Ecoboost versions. However, the base-4-cylinder in the Seltos, despite its better smoothness than the GM and Ford three-cylinders, still may not be a particularly good choice.....more on that later.

I'm coming out of a relatively long period of some four months (thanks to the pandemic), when most of my write-ups were about vehicles from my own past, and the past of my family/friends/colleagues, and am back to doing major write-ups on new vehicles again. As a result, I'm going to try something new, which I haven't done much of on MM-Reviews before. Up to now, I've relied mostly on Google, Bing, and other posted-images that were the same or very close to the vehicles I've reviewed (but sometimes slightly inaccurate). The images at first are usually fine......except that after a while, they won't post any more, so they are sometimes useless for any more than a couple of days, or for going back and checking on earlier reviews With this review, I'm going to try something different...actual shots of my test-vehicles with my I-Phone-7 camera. This camera is of better quality than the one in my old I-Phone-4, where the light-level was so low that it was almost useless for interior vehicle-shots. We'll see how this new I-Phone-7 does with the shots, although please bear with me if they don't come out perfect on the first attempt.

I also want to mention that, while writing this review, I greatly appreciated the website for the Seltos. I found it superb, easy to use/read, quick to find data/specs on it, and overall, a pleasure to use. It could serve as a model for other manufacturers and vehicles. I especially liked the way the website showed, instantly, in one page-view, all of the available body-colors and two-tones available for all of the trim-versions...no constant flipping back and forth.

I looked at several Seltos versions for the static/interior/exterior reviews, and, for the test-drive, chose a bright-blue, monotone, base-model LX AWD version (LX models don't offer the two-tone option) almost devoid of options. I felt that the LX AWD, even though you give up some nicer trim, a few safety features, and creature-comforts like a power driver's seat and power-hatch-lid, and have a lower-powered non-turbo engine, is a good choice for those who don't have a lot of money to spend. With it, you get the security of AWD, the long Kia warranty, the same basic vehicle inside as the higher-trim versions, and some surprising standard features for a base-version, such as a adjustable drive-mode for the powertrain. All of this for just over 23K....a relative bargain, IMO, though the lack of sound-insulation was noticeable on grainy road-surfaces.....I'll get to that later.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2021 Kia Seltos LX AWD

BASE PRICE: $21,990

OPTIONS:

Cargo Mat: $95

Carpeted Floor Mats: $130

Cargo Net, Floor-Style $50

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $1,120 (somewhat high, IMO, for a vehicle this size...but freight/delivery costs have risen sharply in recent years)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $23,385

(Here is the official window sticker)

https://www.kia.com/us/services/en/w...EPCAA1M7092422

DRIVETRAIN: Car-Based AWD with Torque-Vectoring and Locking-Differential, Transversely-mounted 2.0L in-line four-cylinder, 146 HP @ 6200 RPM, Torque 132 Ft-lbs. @ 4500 RPM, IVT Continuously-Variable-Transmission with variable drive-modes.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 27 City, 31 Highway, 29 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Neptune Blue Metallic

INTERIOR: Black Cloth

PLUSSES:

Superb, easy-to-use/ easy-to-read Kia website for the Seltos.

Nice choice of body paint-colors and two-tones on several trim-versions.

Affordably-priced, especially in lower-trim versions.

Now-widespread Kia dealer network for sales and service.

Superb 1/100 and 5/60 factory warranties.

Well-laid-out underhood.

Good handling/steering response.

Relatively tight turning radius.

Decent, though marginally firm, ride comfort.

Good interior space efficiency.

Well-shaped front seats, although IMO too firmly-padded.

Easy-to-use conventional shift-lever.

Excellent stereo sound quality for this class.

Roomy, well-constructed cargo area.

Ideal height for relatively ease of entry/exit for many people.

MINUSES:

10/100 Drivetrain warranty usually not transferable to a second-owner (reverts to 5/60), although Kia/Hyundai allows transfer
to immediate family members in some cases.

Mixed bag on Interior trim and hardware...some seems very solid; other things slightly less-solid than on previous recent Kia products.

Mostly hard-surface interior trim, even on higher-trim levels.

Seat-padding slightly too firm for my tastes.

Poorly-designed power window switches.

Manual prop-rod with relatively heavy steel hood.

Too-limited paint-color choices on LX and EX version.

Base engine marginal with weight and drag of AWD.

Brake pedal not ideally located for large feet.

EXTERIOR:

As with the latest-generation 2020 Soul, the all-new Seltos seems to break some new styling-ground for Kia...neither one is readily identifiable with most of the other, aggressive Tiger-Grilled Kia products. On the Seltos, the grille maintains the basic Tiger-shape, but looks less-pronounced with the open-extension under it. Like with the new Soul, the Seltos headlights are markedly thinner and smaller than on other Kias. Large hollow-recessed-areas under the headlights house auxiliary lights, and the extreme lower-front has a large wrap-up plastic panel that apparently will absorb some of the scratches from the off-road approach-angle. All in all, a unique look unlike any other Kia. The general two-box (though somewhat streamlined) design is good for space-effieiciency....more of that will be discussed inside. In the rear, tapering/flip-up D-pillars contain interesting chrome spear-tip designs for the end of the bright-metal waistline strips....or black-strips/black spear-tips, depending on the trim-version. As with most crossovers/SUVs, a black-cladding runs around the entire lower-rim of the vehicle to help protect the paint from abrasives and road-debris. Below the rear bumper are two of the now-common bright-metal fake-exhaust-end housings (not included on the LX model). The body sheet metal seems to be at least fairly solid for today's standards (as you'll see on my hood-comments below), although the doors, while not tinny, don't seem to shut with quite the same thunk-solidness as on the Sportage and some other recent Kias. (Also noticed that, to some extent, on the Telluride). The color choice is excellent on S and turbo models, including several nice two-tones spanning several different colors. Kia, in its Seltos advertising, likes to use the SX Turbo version in the Yellow/Black-Roof two-tone, and I agree that it is probably the best-looking version. One local dealership had one just like that parked outside, right at the front door, on the mound, where it was sure to draw attention from people driving down the street. (Had a significant dealer mark-up on it, too). As with virtually all Kias, the paint jobs are well-done, and worthy of more-expensive vehicles. Last, it bears note that the only other small crossover in this class to offer a two-tone roof is the also-new 2021 Chevy Trailblazer.....Nope, its more expensive Buick Encore GX cousin doesn't offer it, although the Encore GX interior, befitting the Buick nameplate, is first-rate for its class.

UNDERHOOD:

The Seltos's steel hood, to lift, is somewhat on the heavy side for a vehicle of this class (although I've seen worse), and one must fumble with a manual prop-rod, which might make it difficult for persons with weak arms or shoulders. An insulation pad is included on the lower side of the hood. Underneath, in the engine compartment itself, things are generally laid out pretty well. Both the 2.0L and 1.6L Turbo engines, transversely-mounted, fit in with at least some room to spare around the sides to reach components/accessories, although the engine sits somewhat low in the compartment, and the black-plastic cover blocks most of the top-components. The battery is on the right, towards the rear, uncovered, with the terminals generally easily-accessible (though one of them partly covered), and all of the filler-caps/dipsticks/fluid-reserviors are generally easy to reach.

INTERIOR:

This is not the worst interior I've seen by a long stretch, but, still, I'm not terribly impressed with it....especially compared to the competing Chevy Trailblazer and Buick Encore GX, which, IMO, use nicer-feeling materials inside. That's not to say it is junk inside...it certainly is not by any means, but most of the trim-materials, even on the higher-trim-models, except for some arm-rests on the door panels, are hard-plastic or hard-surface to the touch. The solidness of the door-closings, and the thunks they make, seem to vary a little from vehicle to vehicle. The solidness of the interior hardware and knobs/switches/buttons also varies from item to item....some of it feels solid as a rock (ala earlier Kias), while other things, such as the center-dash knobs for the fan and climate-system, have a slightly loose or wobbly feel to them. I noticed the same thing, to an extent, inside the Telluride (a slightly lighter/looser feel to some of the trim and hardware than on past Kias), and I hope that this is not the start of a new trend at Kia and Hyundai towards cost-cutting and skimping on their parts. That was one of the things that Hyundai and Kia really have excelled in now for some years (delivering a well-built, solid vehicle for the price), and I wouldn't want to see that change. I also found the power-window-switch layout, on the driver's seat door-panel, awkward and uncomfortable. Unlike most layouts (which are the opposite), the sideways-flip-tab for the left-right mirrors is located right behind the multi-direction pad for the up/down/sideways adjustment, so that the exposed plastic tab tends to jab your finger as you go for the multi-adjustment function. Not something terrible.....just a little annoying, that's all.

However, there's a fair amount to like inside as well. First of all, the interior itself is fairly space-efficient, thanks to the fairly conventional SUV body-design. The seats are at just about the right height for relatively easy entry/exit for a lot of people. Headroom, particularly without the sunroof and its housing, is good, even for tall people. Legroom in back is OK for taller people as long as the front seats aren't adjusted all the way back...but I respectfully disagree with some of the You-Tube reviewers who say the rear legroom is phenomenal. The sun-visors have a hard-plastic but solid feel to them...few vehicles in this price-class have felt/padded visors, and even some more expensive vehicles don't. The conventional shift-lever is easy to use. The instruments are generally clear and easy to read, and the buttons/controls easy to decipher and operate. The video-screen, as with many other vehicles today (GM vehicles seem to be an exception) is mounted above the dash, with a stick-up, Etch-a-Sketch look. The screen itself is clear, colorful, and legible. A hard-plastic panel, with a grained-surface pattern (blue in color on some trim levels) covers the right side of the dash. The cloth seats (non-power driver's seat on the LX version) have a nice shape and contour for a person my size, and, as with most Asian-sourced vehicles, the padding is a little firm for my tastes...but then, of course, I've gotten used to the Lacrosse's Cush-Tush seats, which, by today's standards, are significantly softer than average.

One thing (besides the shift-lever) inside is, IMO, excellent....the stereo sound quality, especially by the usual standards of this class. And that may come in useful, as I'll describe below, in the ON THE ROAD section.

The LX version, which was the one I wrote up, offers an 8-inch screen, MP3 Playback, Bluetooth, Apple-CarPlay, Android-Auto, and Siri Eyes-Free. More features, of course are available on higher-line models.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Lift the rear hatch-lid manually.....it is not power-operated on the LX version, although there is a grab-handle on the underside to help you pull it back down. The carge-area itself is not particularly plush-looking, though it does use durable-feeling materials and a black-felt/fabric-lined floorboard. The cargo compartment itself, due to the generally conventional styling and roofline of the vehicle, is generally roomy for a vehicle of this size. My specific vehicle had a couple of cargo-area options (see the option-list, above). The split rear-seats fold down separately (as in most vehicles of this type nowadays), and it is a slight, but not a difficult, stretch to flip the two separate release-levers, on the back of the seats, to unlatch and fold them forward. Under the flip-up floorboard (with a strap to help pull it up) is a temporary spare tire....while I prefer a real spare, at least one does not have to fool with run-flats or tire-inflation-bottles.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the base 2.0L in-line-four, and it idles fairly smoothly and quietly by four-cylinder standard...it's generally refined. On the road, I did not notice a lot of engine noise of vibration (definitely not as much as with the 1.3L turbo-three on the Buick Encore GX). But the 132 ft-lbs. of torque on this engine, at a relatively high 4500 RPM (torque is usually a more reliable indicator of an engine's stop-and-go responsiveness than HP), even with the CVT/IVT transmission, is clearly marginal for this vehicle and the added weight/drag of the AWD system. Although I might have just missed it, (I looked) I did not see a switch to deactivate the AWD system, when it is not needed, like the Chevy Trailblazer and Buick Encore GX give you. I'd rate the power just adequate for normal suburban driving.....give yourself some room if you are loaded and/or are going to try and merge into fast-moving traffic. An Idle stop/go system, which works fairly smoothly, saves gas when the vehicle is stopped in gear....on Kia products, it can be switched off, if desired. An adjustable drive-mode (which is unusual in a vehicle of this class), controlled by a rotary-knob, sets the mode to Normal, Sport, or Economy....the difference was not really that noticeable, but it did seem to have some minor effect on the road manners. There is also an adjustable Mud/Snow/Sand mode, if needed. The CVT Transmission (IVT in Kia-speak) was smooth, quiet, and did its best, under the circumstances, to get whatever power it could from the somewhat wimpy engine. I Iiked its conventional, easy-to-use shift-lever....none of that E-Joystick, rotary, shift, or push/pull-button nonsense.

Ride comfort, particularly in the Sport-mode setting, was on the firm side, but not really uncomfortable...Normal and Comfort-mode slightly less-firm, though it is not a big difference. The LX trim-version comes with 55-series all-season tires, which ride somewhat easier than the 45s on the turbo models. Wind noise is generally well-controlled, though there is noticeable road noise on grainy/porous road-surfaces..you'll have to turn the excellent stereo up a little to drown it out. On smoother, non-porous asphalt surfaces, road noise drops to more comfortable levels....but I suspect that there may be some owner-complaints on that issue later on, as miles and wear pile up on the tires. However, keep in mind that most crossovers in this class are not particularly well-insulated from road noise...it's just part of life, and partly-justifies their low-price. Steering response is generally quick, with only minor body roll, and overall handling is very good for this class. The turning-radius seems quite short, even for this class of vehicle....you can turn around in minimal space. The brakes are generally effective, although the location of the brake-pedal, in relation to the gas, is not ideal for big clod-hopper shoes like mine going quickly from gas to brake.....the shoe can hang up on the rim of the brake pedal.

THE VERDICT:

Keeping in mind that this general class of vehicle is not known for a lot of plush-comfort, sound-insulation, power under the hood, or a general luxury or sport-oriented driving experience, the Seltos seems to fit right in, more or less, in with the B-class subcompact-crossover crowd...which, as I described in the opening section, is quite a crowd, and is constantly growing....not to mention the also-huge, slightly-larger C (compact)-crossover class crowd. The Seltos offers some advantages that some of most of the other ones don't...a two-tone paint option on upper-models (only the Trailblazer also offers that), the superb Kia warranty for the original owner, durable if somewhat stark trim-materials inside, and a standard (though weak) four-cylinder engine to GM's and Ford's three-cylinders. A fairly good amount of standard equipment comes with the price. Handling/steering is not bad for this class. But, as with many others in this class, the Seltos falls down in the areas of road noise, engine power on non-turbo versions, and general driving-refinement. It is a good vehicle for typical city or suburban stop-and-go commuting or shopping, but, as with most other vehicles in this class, I would not recommend it for a long trip on the Interstate. Still, for the price, it is a good way to get the security of AWD for a low price, assuming there is not a Subaru dealer close by where you could pick up a new Impreza or Crosstrek....and, for that purpose, I would recommend it.

And, as Always......Happy Car-Shopping.
smile.gif

MM

DRIVING IS BELIEVING
boink.gif