MM Full-Review: 2020 Ford Explorer.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
MM Full-Review: 2020 Ford Explorer

By request, a Review of the 2020 Ford Explorer.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/?...r-all-vehicles

IN A NUTSHELL: The vehicle that started the whole family-SUV craze almost 30 years ago enters its Sixth Generation.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Chevrolet Traverse, Chevrolet Blazer, GMC Acadia, Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Nissan Murano/Pathfinder, Mazda CX-9, Kia Sorento/Telluride, Hyundai Santa Fe/Palisade, VW Atlas, Subaru Ascent.

59e1a79b09dda3312d1ede4758ca89df.jpg

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fsamabuelsamid%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F06%2F2020-Ford-Explorer-first-drive-23-of-32-1200x794.jpg

19_FRD_EPR_400019_Platinum_Sandstone.tif

e05f9f79-2020-ford-explorer-spy-shots-0.jpg

2020-Ford-Explorer-ST-interior-from-door.jpg

2020-ford-explorer-1.jpg

OVERVIEW:

With the possible exception of the Toyota RAV-4 and Subaru Forester/Outback crossovers, probably no other vehicle, over the years, has done more to transform and re-shape the modern SUV market, and/or the role of family-SUVs, as the ubiquitous Ford Explorer. Introduced, at first, on a Ford Ranger truck-based platform, in 1990, with the ancient Twin-I-Beam front suspension (more on that suspension in a minute) it, nevertheless, even with its truck-roots, was explosive in its popularity with suburban American families. Yes, Jeep had produced the Cherokee and Wagoneer for years. But the Wagoneer was never very popular outside of a couple of places in and near the Great Lakes Snow Belt, and the Cherokee, despite its huge popularity and having a enclosed roof and rear seats, was generally more of a harder-core off-roader than a suitable SUV for a typical family. The Explorer solved a number of those problems, and millions of families (and sometimes single individuals) were attracted to it like a magnet. It was so popular that Jeep itself introduced the new Grand Cherokee to compete with it...also with a lot of success, as, for several years, among SUVs, the Grand Cherokee's sales-numbers are almost as good as the Explorer's.

The Explorer's history, though generally rosy, is not without its thorns as well. The Twin-I-Beam front suspension, while simple and easy to produce, was also quite simple in its sophistication, and, though independent in its nature compared to solid front-axles, was clearly not the best design for good handling. Ford had a long-standing association with Firestone, who developed the less-than-ideal Wilderness tire for the Explorer and its Mercury Mountaineer twin. Then, in response to customer-complaints that the Explorer's ride was too stiff and truck-like (what did they expect, with the truck-frame design)?, Ford took the easy way out and simply lowered the recommended PSI's for the Wilderness tires from 30 to 26 PSI. That took some of the firmness out of the ride, but also took out some of the safety-margin of the tires from heat-build-up and too-low PSI....and the built-in safety-margin on those tires was questionable to start with. Firestone protested the move, and warned that the newly-recommended PSI's were too low for severe use, but Ford persisted, and the consequent pattern of tire-failures, rollovers, and occupant injuries/deaths is history. It should be noted, though, that most of the tire-failures took place in the Southern and Southwestern states, in the summer, on extremely hot sun-baked roads, with overloaded vehicles, and owners were not always diligent in even keeping up the too-low 26 PSI recommendation. So, while the press zeroed in on the failures of both Ford and Firestone, some of the owners, IMO, may also have shared in the blame by simply being negligent and not keeping an eye on their tires. Nevertheless, the whole fiasco cost both Ford and Firestone a huge amount of money, as untold hundreds of thousands of Explorers and Mountaineers were recalled to be re-fitted with better tires and more realistic PSIs (some people I know, who owned recalled Explorers, got free Michelin replacements). Ford and Firestone, at that point, terminated the century-year-old partnership they had had since Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone first signed the agreement.

The next-generation of Explorers, although still truck-based, solved a number of those problems, with a totally-redesigned modern suspension, better tires, better steering, better education for the vehicle's owners, and a number of other improved features. And not all of the Explorers were the classic five-door versions that most people think of when they hear the nameplate. A three-door version called the Explorer Sport was marketed in the U.S. for a few years, which was also sold, in a rebadged version, as the Mazda Navajo....Ford, when they owned Mazda, refused to allow Mazda to sell a five-door version of the Explorer. A four-door version with a short truck-bed (and an adjustable swing-out bed-extender) was marketed in the early 2000s as the Explorer Sport-Trac...it was essentially a four-door Ranger pickup with a slightly restyled body. A close friend of mine and his wife bought a new one in 2002 and still have it....it's been useful for a couple of work-projects, including moving into a new house several miles away. A luxury version (the first-generation Lincoln Aviator) was marketed, as, of course, also the slightly upscale Mercury Mountaineer.....until the Mercury Division itself was axed. Some Police Interceptor versions were also done for law-enforcement, though many police officers still mourn the loss of their beloved Crown Victorias.

Later versions, in a further attempt to make them more car-like on their road manners in the face of increasing competition, gave up on the truck platform altogether, going to a crossover/unibody structure and independent suspension. This, of course, cut down a little on their off-road and towing capabilities, but, by now, SUVs of this type, all across the country, were being used more as family station-wagons than as classic work-horses...indeed, as I explained above, the Explorer itself had pioneered the concept of the family-centered SUV. And the Explorer, by now, instead of it and the Jeep Grand Cherokee dominating family-SUVs like the did in the 1990s, was only one product in a literal sea of both foreign and domestic competitors. It remains, however, quite popular to this day, even in that sea of competitors.

After switching to FWD/AWD for the last-generation model, the latest, all new 2020 Explorer, switches back to RWD/AWD, but retains the unibody structure and independent rear suspension. Its platform will be shared wth the all-new Lincoln Aviator. Four different Explorer trim versions are offered in the American market...the XLT ($36,675), Limited ($48,130), ST ($54,740), and Platinum ($58,250). With that big a price-difference between the XLT and the other versions, I would expect the XLT to be the volume-seller by far, but we'll see). For now, three different engines are offered (see web-site details for trim-model availability).....a 2.3L EcoBoost turbo four of 300 HP and 310 ft-lbs, of torque, a 3.0L EcoBoost turbo V6 of 365 HP and 380 ft-lbs.of torque, and the ST version of the 3.0L which produces 400 HP and 415 ft-lbs. of torque....so, no matter which version of the Explorer you choose, it is not likely to be underpowered for most normal driving. A Plug-in Hybrid version, with the turbo 3.0L V6 and Hybrid-Electric-Drive, will be coming to the American market later. All current versions get the new 10-speed automatic transmission that was jointly co-developed by Ford and GM, and now used in a number of their RWD/AWD vehicles.

One reason this review is delayed some from when I first planned to do it (and my apologies for that) is that Ford announced they were starting shipments of the Explorer some time ago, and, though some West Coast dealerships received them soon after that, it took some time for them to reach dealerships here in the D.C. area, where I live. Then, when they finally did start arriving in the D.C. area, it seemed to be mostly the sport-oriented ST models, which is generally not the best-selling version. Or, perhaps, the few other versions which did arrive were already pre-sold, promised to certain customers, of simply sold off very quickly on the lot. Later, a couple of weeks later, more versions became available. So, I first did a quick static-review of the ST version, inside and out, then, as other versions became available, compared them as applicable. I figured that the XLT version would be the volume-seller, and that more potential buyers would be interested in it despite the fact that it does not offer the big twin-turbo V6 as an option. So, for the basic published review (and test-drive), I concentrated on a bright blue XLT AWD model with a two-tone black/ivory interior....an (IMO) smart-looking color combination. It had a not-too-bad list price of a little under 44K, considering that loaded Platinums can run over 60K....which is well into Lincoln territory.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2020 Ford Explorer XLT AWD

BASE PRICE: $39,665

OPTIONS:

202A Equipment Package: $5140

Equipment Group Discount (-$1000)

^^^^^^ (This is silly...why not just charge a flat $4140 to start with)?

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $1095

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $44,900

DRIVETRAIN: AWD/4WD, Longitudinally-mounted 2.3L EcoBoost turbocharged in-line 4, 300 HP, Torque 310 Ft-lbs., 10-speed automatic transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 20 City, 27 Highway, 23 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Atlas Blue Metallic

INTERIOR: Black/Sandstone Cloth

PLUSSES:

Versatile but not particularly refined 10-speed automatic.

Base engine has adequate (though not ample) power.

Electric power steering has better feel than on Ford pickup trucks.

Decent road manners and handling for a mid-sized SUV....the new RWD platform helps.

Good interior space efficiency.

Good outward visibility except for the C-pillars.

Nicely-done paint job.

Nice color choice among the four trim-versions.

Extremely wide dealer network in the U.S. for selling/servicing.

(Likely) relatively low depreciation from high demand, despite intense competition.

Easy-to-use Build-Your-Own feature on the Ford website.

MINUSES:

(Some) unimpressive interior and cargo-area materials.

Thin exterior sheetmetal.

Tinny-sounding doors.

Marked cost-cutting underhood.

Flimsy exterior hardware and mirror-housings.

Awkward rotary shifter*
*(I know opinions differ on rotary shifters, but I personally find them somewhat awkward to use)

Confusing power-mirror switches.

Complex and difficult-to-adjust video-screen and Driver-Information displays.

Poorly-located Engine Start/Stop button.

Tacky-looking video-screen housing.

Brake pedal poorly-located for some shoes.

EXTERIOR:

I liked the basic shape and exterior styling of the 2020 Explorer. In general, it is traditional-SUV-square for good space efficiency, and the new 2020 version doesn't look much different from the 2019...perhaps Ford's way of saying don't mess with success. The paint job was nicely-done, too, in an attractive medium-bright-blue metallic (Atlas Blue).....although, for some reason, Ford won't offer that color on the Platinum model. There are the usual funeral-home shades, but also some nice colorful ones too.....I liked the Atlas Blue and the Copper. Also, just opinion, but I didn't care for the all-black grille on the ST model...the other grilles, with varying amounts of chrome and bright-work, looked much better.

I wasn't impressed at all, though, with most of the actual materials and hardware outside. The thin sheet metal buckled in rather easily (many of today's vehicles have that problem), the plastic door handles looked and felt rather chintzy, the twin outside side-mirror-housings were some of the thinnest and flimsiest I've encountered, and the general quality of the exterior trim was not very impressive. The doors did not shut with much of a solid feel or sound. The usual SUV-black lower-body cladding runs all around the lower edge of the vehicle..but, of course, that feature is useful for keeping scratches/chips and road-damage off the lower-body paint.

UNDERHOOD:

The Ford designers may have some nice engines in the new Explorer, but the bean-counters clearly won out designing the hood itself. First, the sheet metal of the hood is not very solid; Second, there is no underhood silencer-pad (just bare painted metal); and Third, no hold-up struts......you must fumble with a manual prop-rod, which is made worse for short people by the fact that the hood itself sits fairly high and you must stretch up to brace the prop-rod. Shorter people will also have a fairly long stretch over the fenders and grille (and down) to reach the engine buried far inside. At least the engine-block and components themselves, if one stretches far enough to reach them, are generally accessible on both front and sides......they aren't covered up or buried by covers or other hardware. And, as usual, the dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reservoirs are not difficult to see or get to.

INTERIOR:

While, in general (IMO), the two-tone black/ivory interiors looked better than the all-black ones, I had mixed views of the new Explorer's interior. There were some nice touches here and there, like the steering wheel design, decently comfortable front seats. felt-covered sun-visors, and a nicely-laid-out center-stack design for the climate and audio buttons/knobs. And the square design and high roofline means relatively good space efficiency inside. Some the metallic-tone trim is nice. But, in general, I wasn't impressed wth the rest of the interior. High on my gripe-list inside was the new rotary-shifter knob.....I'm not a fan of that type of design, and find them awkward, especially compared to the former, easy-to-use fore/aft shift/lever. The engine START/STOP button is in an awkward place.....mounted flat, underneath the left center air-vent rim, where you have to stick your finger horizontally in the small space between the two and then press down instead of forward. The bar-graph for the engine-temperature gauge is not particularly easy to read at a glance...and neither was the fuel gauge, though the low-fuel indicator is very large and yellow, easily-seen. The housing for the video-screen looks especially awkward and tacky in how it is mounted.....right in front of the bar that contains the center air-vents. The upper-dash is padded, but much of the non-metallic plastic trim in the rest of the interior looks and feels thin and tacky, especially in the XLT version. The power-mirror switches on the drivers' door-panel have an awkward operation and indicators...the up/down/sideways motion is conventional, but, on the Limited version, as I tried what is normally the right/left selector-mirror button, several times, I kept power-folding the mirrors all the way in, flush to the body. I had to stop, screw around with the controls, and try to re-adust everything again. Then, opposite of what is normal practice in most vehicles, the small yellow indicator-dot on the switch comes on when the system is NOT locked. Ford, IMO, needs to redesign those controls. The plastic manual-adjust levers for the rear individual seats feel loose and insubstantial in your hands. The windshield-wiper stalk, straight out of the Ford parts-bin, has an awkwardly-designed adjustment for the intermittent settings. Much of the interior, especially in the XLT, simply felt like it was designed to a strict budget.....perhaps it was, considering the big numbers that the Explorer generally sells in. Overall, I strongly preferred the outgoing 2019 Explorer interior.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Even on the base XLT without options, a power-liftgate comes standard. Press the button, keep your head back, and it rises for you.....though I forgot to check and see if, like on some other Ford SUVs, it also includes the foot-swipe-open feature, under the bumper, for when your arms and hands are full of packages (I didn't see any reference to that feature in the website). The actual cargo space inside is not bad at all, mainly because of the traditional square-back SUV styling. The second-row and third-row seats, of course, can be folded down for added space....XLT models had a manual flip-down feature for the third-row seats, and the ST version a separate power-activated button for each half of the third row seat. As with most mid-sized SUVs, the third-row seats, though not the worst I've seen, are best used for children, small adults, or as package-shelves.....don't plan on any NBA guys riding back there. As with the rest of the interior, I wasn't terribly impressed with the materials and trim in the XLT's cargo area. Under the black fabric/carpet floor panel, which was very thin and flimsy-feeling, was a temporary spare tire.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 2.3L turbo four with the (aforementioned) awkwardly-located button, and it generally idles and runs fairly smoothly, though one obviously cannot compare it to a Lexus V8 in refinement. Its power level, despite the published 300 HP and 310 ft-lbs. of torque and versatile 10-speed automatic, is adequate for most normal driving, but not with a great deal of power in reserve. It has to haul around a mid-sized SUV, of course, and, in the sun, with large windows on the vehicle and the air temperature in the 80s, I also had the A/C on at least part of the time, which also drains some power. Yes, the twin-turbo 3.0L V6 would offer substantially more power, but IMO that power probably wouldn't be needed most of the time except for heavy loads and/or high altitudes....so that is something to consider when choosing which version of he Explorer you want.

The 10-speed automatic, co-developed with GM, was quite versatile, but not particularly refined in its operation, sometimes shifting smoothly/securely and sometimes with a small amount of slip. There is manual operation, of course, with shift-paddles on the steering wheel. The Drive-Mode indicator is a smaller rotary knob on the console, behind the larger rotary-shifter knob itself, and felt less-awkward to use than the rotary-shifter, with the actual drive-mode indication in the space the dash between the two primary gauges.

Road and wind noise were both fairly well-muted, though some tire noise comes in even on smooth asphalt. Some reviewers in the auto-press have complained about the lack of steering-feel, but I disagree. It is certainly not like a previous-generation BMW or Miata, but I thought the electric power-steering system had a smooth and refined, if not particularly tactile feel...at least better than on the recent Ford Ranger and F-150 that I sampled. Steering response was not particularly quick, but not out of step for this class of mid-sized SUV. Ride comfort, overall, was OK for this class of SUV....I've seen better (such as in Kia Sorento/Buick Envision) and worse (such as in some older versions of the Explorer itself). The brakes were generally adequate, though the brake-pedal location was little higher and farther away from the gas pedal for the large size shoes that I wear....the edge of the shoe can catch the side or bottom of the pedal when coming off the gas.

THE VERDICT:

Given the choice, for a number of reasons (which I've described above) I clearly prefer the outgoing 2019 version of the Explorer over the new 2020. But I respect the tremendous popularity of these vehicles (we owe much of today's mid-sized SUV market to the original Explorer), and the fact that the new 2020 will likely sell just as well, if not better, than the outgoing 2019. So, for many potential buyers/leasees, the main question will be which version of the Explorer to get. I personally feel that in most instances, the XLT is probably the best value for the money, despite its somewhat stark interior (a little better interior in the upmarket versions), and less-powerful 2.3L turbo four. But all of the 2020 Explorer models have a number of quirks inside (which I've also described), and there are MANY good mid-sized competitors on the market.. The explosive popularity of the original First-generation Explorer really created a monster of choices for the consumer...and there are other all-new or extensively-redesigned competitors on the market for the first time this year, for 2020. I have not yet sampled or test-driven (or only briefly-sampled) some of those new competitors from Chevy, Kia, Hyundai, VW, and Subaru, and I plan more write-ups on them in the future.

And, as always......Happy SUV-shopping.
smile.gif

MM

Last edited: