MM Condensed/Static-Review: 2015 Tesla Model S

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
MM Condensed Static-Review: 2015 Tesla Model S
By request, a Static (non-test-drive) Review of the 2015 Tesla Model S

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

IN A NUTSHELL: Not cheap, but arguably the best pure electric car currently in production.

CLOSEST U.S. MARKET COMPETITORS: None in a pure electric mode......this car currently stands alone, although the Toyota Mirai is currently on the horizon.

(Front trunk)

(Front electric drivetrain/air-suspension, AWD version)

(Rear electric drivetrain/air-suspension, AWD version)

Tesla Motors, a relative newcomer to the modern automotive scene, is named for Nikola Tesla, a brilliant electrical engineer/physicist who once worked with the also-brilliant inventor Thomas Edison. Tesla and Edison, however, disagreed on the best way to apply electricity for general use (alternating-current vs. direct-current)...and both systems, of course, ended up in use for different functions. But, a number of economic, political, corporate, personality, and other factors intervened (I won't go into them all in detail here) to split up Edison and Tesla and send them their separate ways. Edison, off course, went down in the history books, but Tesla, despite his noted electrical and scientific achievements, never really got the credit he deserved.

Until now, that is......now that the maker of what are arguably the world's most advanced pure-electric, battery-powered passenger-cars is named after him. Although it also produces the less-expensive Model X, the company is best-known for its pricey but superb Model S, which comes in four different versions.....70D, 85, 85D, and P85D, depending on the number of on-board electric motors and if it is RWD or AWD. 70D versions come with a 70KWH battery, a single 329 HP electric motor, and AWD. 85 models come with an 85 KWH battery, a single 362 HP electric motor, and RWD. 85D models come with the same battery, single 422 HP electric motor, and AWD. P85D models, which IMO are the most interesting and advanced, come with the same battery, two electric motors (221 HP front, 470 HP rear), and AWD. Better be strapped into your seat with the P85D....Tesla claims a bruising 3.1 seconds from 0-60 MPH. On a drag strip (which, IMO, is the only proper place for it...not public roads), you'll give some of the baddest muscle-cars out there a run for the money.

So what does this cost? Prices start at $57,500 for a 70D and run to $87,500 for the top-line P85D....although state and/or Federal tax credits for alternate-fuel vehicles may lower it some. For well-heeled buyers, though, it just might be worth it......Consumer Reports considers the Model S to be one of the best cars they have ever tested, with almost twice the range of other typical full-electric cars. Also, Tesla, sales,wise, does not market and sell their vehicles like other auto companies. They don't have franchise dealerships, instead, selling directly from company-owned shops with their own sales and service departments (like the one I visited myself for this write-up). For this reason, Tesla does not sell in all 50 states (yet) as current laws in some states forbid that company-direct practice....and, in some other states, competing auto companies are suing to try and stop the practice in court. The final legal outcome of all of this has not been settled yet, so Tesla's future in some states is still uncertain. The company also, from what I could tell, and from what some salespeople say, does not sell cars (or has very few cars to sell) right off the showroom floor, or on lots, at dealerships. If you want a new one, you simply order it, pay your deposit, wait in line, and pick it up at the nearest company store when it comes in.

I had never been to a Tesla store myself, so, for me, I didn't really know much of what to expect (knowing only what I had read in magazines and articles).....so, it was as much of a learning experience for me as it was for you. In fact, perhaps even MORE of a learning experience for me, because some of you may already own Teslas and/or know what to expect.

The store I went to, which was a brand-new one just outside of Washington D.C. in the suburbs, was surprisingly stark and low-key in its furnishings...bare walls, almost no place for customers to sit down, no wide-screen TVs, no coffee machines or snack bar. It was nothing like what you would find at a typical Lexus or Infiniti dealership, where they obviously spend a fortune on customer-perks. In the back of the crude showroom was one large desk with three seats, where the hostess, manager-in-charge, and one salesperson all sat together. On the right side of the showroom was a completely-assembled Model S in dark red with black leather interior (it had no window sticker, so the price and stats for it weren't displayed).......and, on the left side of the room, a completely stripped-down Model S frame/chassis on display with nothing on it but the bottom of the frame, wheels/tires, front motor/drivetrain/air-suspension, empty battery-compartments, and the rear motor/drivetrain/air-suspension. The four BIG air-suspension struts stuck up like four mini-towers. Everything on the lower-frame was aluminum.....which, of course, adds to the cost. Embedded in the lower-frame (the front and rear passengers sit directly over the top of them), were a number of shallow molded-aluminum compartments that housed the ultra-advanced lithium-ion battery-packs (another reason for the car's cost). Those powerful, advanced battery-packs are the key to the car's very long cruising range (by pure electric-car standards)...all else equal, almost twice as far, in some cases, as one can expect from typical run-of-the-mill pure electrics today. So, with the Model S, you do get what you pay for in the battery/powertrain department.....this is no ordinary plug-in commuting machine.

And, of course, you also get what you pay for with the rest of the car.....though there were a couple of features inside that I didn't like. I took a long time to closely examine that dark red Model S in the showroom, and I was thoroughly impressed with its fit-and-finish and material quality, inside and out. It was not the most plush or luxurious looking interior I had seen..... for instance, it doesn't wrap you everywhere with rich woods and leather like a Rolls-Royce, Bentley, or Maybach, but everything in it had the well-finished look, fit, and feel of a jeweler's hand. The wood-tone trim on the dash, interior hardware, door panels, dash materials,....all had excellent materials, fitted almost to perfection. The seat leather was soft, plush, and comfortable...it would give the old Jaguar Connally seat-leather a run for the money. There was decent head and legroom in front, and better-than average legroom in back, though the low roofline compromises some headroom for tall persons in back.

And it was even more impressive outside. I've seen some great-quality stock factory paint jobs in my time, especially from Lexus and Audi, but I think this one takes the cake. The factory colors weren't especially bright (they had huge color chip-samples mounted behind the car), but Good Night, was that dark red paint applied, smoothed, buffed, and polished to absolute mirror-perfection. A Swiss jeweler couldn't have done it any better. (I'd probably cry if I saw that paint damaged by vandalism, weather/storms, or an accident). The mirror-like exterior chrome door handles recess into slots in the doors...you lightly tap on them to pop them out for use. There are two trunks; one up front and one in back......the compact front electric motor lies low and far back enough that it doesn't intrude on any cargo space, and, of course, because this is a pure-electric car, there is no need for a space-grabbing radiator or hoses up front. There is also, of course, a conventional trunk in back....the aforementioned battery-packs, down low in the frame, sit low enough that they don't intrude on rear cargo space either. Both trunks are very well-finished with thick, plush carpeting on both the floor and walls.

Complaints? Yes, a few. I haven't found a perfect vehicle yet for my tastes, and probably never will. The large wheels and ultra-wide, lower-profile tires on the version in the showroom looked like they wouldn't stand up to potholes or sharp-bump impacts very well without possible damage. The entire dash was nothing but a sea of smooth trim, air vents, and literally finger-touch icons/symbols for literally just about everything...there were no conventional knobs/levers or push-buttons at all. The big (and I mean HUGE) central video-display, especially with the NAV screen in use, looked as gaudy as a circus. I don't know if I could own or drive a car like that....I much prefer the feel of conventional controls to finger-touch icons, though I use a few of the stereo/clock icons in my Verano without too much trouble. And, even as slick-operating as they were, I found the dual-push exterior door handles pretty much a gimmick...IMO, one should not have to push first on them to pop them out of the door itself.

The request was for either a static or (if possible) full-review, but I did not test-drive the red Model S in in the showroom, even though, according to the gauge, it had a 175 mile charge still left on it. It was their only demo, and it would have had to come out the front doors and go back in again. If I get a chance with an unsold or available one soon, I might go back for test-drive, as I'm interested to see what its road manners are like. But, in the meantime, even from a static-review, I can assure you that this is quite a vehicle.

And, as always, Happy Car-Shopping.

MM

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, talking about a nice American premium car success story coming from the tech capital of the world, yes this is how it's done with zero legendary automotive history to fall back on....

I haven't got around to driving one yet, but couple of my friends (and the company president that I worked for last owns one) have and found it to be outstanding. Ride/handling benefits from unusually low CG and the power and torque is very unique. Very common in SF Bay Area and Silicon Valley, white stickers for solo HOV lane access add appeal, many buy these instead of S's, LS, 7's.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
SUV model X prototype in new/2nd Palo Alto showroom (with amenities expected at premium car dealership):

Thanks for posting. That is indeed a premium dealership compared to the brand new one I visited...which looked like basically one step above a warehouse. Unlike the Palo Alto shop, this one, for now, apparently handles only the Model S. Tesla seems to be finicky in that regard...perhaps because the stores are company-owned rather then the usual franchises. Each shop is unique in what they handle and service.[/QUOTE]

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Thanks for posting. That is indeed a premium dealership compared to the brand new one I visited...which looked like basically one step above a warehouse. Unlike the Palo Alto shop, this one, for now, apparently handles only the Model S. Tesla seems to be finicky in that regard...perhaps because the stores are company-owned rather then the usual franchises. Each shop is unique in what they handle and service.
[/QUOTE]

My guess is your local dealership will get upgraded later. Tesla knows short term that the fancy store will have no impact on revenue stream in 2015, the backlog is already strong. I know the company, including insiders. From purely a business standpoint, still plenty of risk with this company.

The SUV was a prototype at the time, still not offered for sale but should be very soon.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes it indeed is amazing what Tesla has accomplished in such a short amount of time. Flaws of the Tesla S aside, I personally don't judge the company too harshly as they started with zero experience in the automotive industry. Truly an amazing feat. Their stores/showrooms obviously leave much to be desired in terms of experience and customer service, but again that is to be expected given how new and inexperienced they are in the industry.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes it indeed is amazing what Tesla has accomplished in such a short amount of time. Flaws of the Tesla S aside, I personally don't judge the company too harshly as they started with zero experience in the automotive industry. Truly an amazing feat. Their stores/showrooms obviously leave much to be desired in terms of experience and customer service, but again that is to be expected given how new and inexperienced they are in the industry.

The company, to an extent, is just following the man it was named after. Nikola Tesla, along with Thomas Edison, also accomplished a lot in a short amount of time.........but, unlike Edison, Tesla didn't get credit for it for almost a century and a half.

Reactions: CIF

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Drove the Tesla awd mid-level version today at the nice (not Lexus or Mercedes nice btw) full service Sunnyvale location today. They were technically closed today (at this particular location) and having a special employee event, but they invited me in for private showing and test drive. I'll give you some highlights (with more details later):

. $103K MSRP well equipped to my taste, before &10K credits/rebates
(including elec. Pano roof that improves rear headroom, 21's in graphite color, upgraded interior and audio, sport seats)
. Nice enough interior but not as nice as lower priced Lexus and Benz interiors
. Essentially an electric Benz shifter stalk on column, works great as it does in Benz
. Regen braking very strong (stronger than hybrid) but easy to control, takes a few miles before it's less noticeable
. Power is what I'm used to and expected (0-60 5.2 sec.), very quick
. What's cool is the instant throttle response, like no other car, truly instant.
. A touch of carefully orchestrated electric motor sound comes through at full acceleration, ok
(although no substitute for the best sounding piston engines, lol)
. Handling is very good for sport sedan, no surprise w/CG like no other, steering feel just ok
. Big car, drives smaller fortunately, not boat like.
. Ride quality good, but roads were not terrible in this area.
. For those driving above average mileage (15K/year), car gets more interesting dollar-wise
(assuming Tesla as substitute for another top tier premium sedan)
. Supercharger network/infrastructure is nicely built out by now, especially in CA, less range anxiety today
. About $1300 for 220v charger setup in your garage is needed.
. Orders take about 1-2 months to fill now.
. Nice example of sleek fastback styling applied to a roomy sedan
. Check it out.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Drove the Tesla awd mid-level version today at the nice (not Lexus or Mercedes nice btw) full service Sunnyvale location today. They were technically closed today (at this particular location) and having a special employee event, but they invited me in for private showing and test drive. I'll give you some highlights (with more details later):

. $103K MSRP well equipped to my taste, before &10K credits/rebates
(including elec. Pano roof that improves rear headroom, 21's in graphite color, upgraded interior and audio, sport seats)
. Nice enough interior but not as nice as lower priced Lexus and Benz interiors
. Essentially an electric Benz shifter stalk on column, works great as it does in Benz
. Regen braking very strong (stronger than hybrid) but easy to control, takes a few miles before it's less noticeable
. Power is what I'm used to and expected (0-60 5.2 sec.), very quick
. What's cool is the instant throttle response, like no other car, truly instant.
. A touch of carefully orchestrated electric motor sound comes through at full acceleration, ok
(although no substitute for the best sounding piston engines, lol)
. Handling is very good for sport sedan, no surprise w/CG like no other, steering feel just ok
. Big car, drives smaller fortunately, not boat like.
. Ride quality good, but roads were not terrible in this area.
. For those driving above average mileage (15K/year), car gets more interesting dollar-wise
(assuming Tesla as substitute for another top tier premium sedan)
. Supercharger network/infrastructure is nicely built out by now, especially in CA, less range anxiety today
. About $1300 for 220v charger setup in your garage is needed.
. Orders take about 1-2 months to fill now.
. Nice example of sleek fastback styling applied to a roomy sedan
. Check it out.

Thanks for the update. :)

$103K MSRP well equipped to my taste, before &10K credits/rebates

If Tesla is doing lease deals, I suspect many will lease a car like this, rather than buy. That's the case with many pure-electrics.

Nice enough interior but not as nice as lower priced Lexus and Benz interiors

I agree it's not the plushest of interiors, but the fit/finish on the showroom example I looked at was marvelous, and most of the materials used were first rate....especially the dash trim and seat leather.

Essentially an electric Benz shifter stalk on column, works great as it does in Benz

You're probably more used to that M-B electronic shifter than I am.

Regen braking very strong (stronger than hybrid) but easy to control, takes a few miles before it's less noticeable

After a few miles, the computer may (?) be sensing your driving/braking style and adjusting the amount of regeneration to compensate.

Power is what I'm used to and expected (0-60 5.2 sec.), very quick

Typical of an electric motor. Not only does the AWD version have two electric motors (one front and one rear), but electric motors, in general, produce their max torque at very low RPMs....just as you first hit the throttle from rest. Tesla claims 3.1 seconds from 0-60 for the top version, but doesn't explain how that test was run.

Handling is very good for sport sedan, no surprise w/CG like no other, steering feel just ok
Big car, drives smaller fortunately, not boat like.
. Ride quality good, but roads were not terrible in this area

I don't know if you got the chance to see the Model S cutaway, but those big air-suspension struts are like towers. I myself like some softness, as long as it's not excessive. But I can remember some big Fords, Mercurys, and Lincolns from the 60s and 70s, for example (and even the first Kia Amanti), that wallowed all over the place and rolled like beach-balls....that was just as annoying as an overly-stiff suspension. Electric power steering (as you probably know), rarely has the same feel as hydraulic units.

Yes, you are fortunate to live in one of CA's relatively mild-weather areas that are easy on roads. Back here in D.C., we get a fair amount of road damage from yo-yo temperatures and precipitation....but not as bad as, say, in the Great Lakes area and upper Midwest.

About $1300 for 220v charger setup in your garage is needed.

I've heard that Tesla (and some other hybrid/electric automakers) are working on 400v chargers that will top off many electric cars in only 20-30 minutes (perhaps somewhat longer for the Tesla's long-range battery packs). Perhaps those advanced chargers are not ready yet.

Nice example of sleek fastback styling applied to a roomy sedan

Yep.....unless you are a guy my size, having to stoop and/or duck your head down to your shoulders to get in and out of the rear seat. :D

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Thanks for the update. :)

Reply: You are welcome, as usual I drive anything with 4 wheels.

If Tesla is doing lease deals, I suspect many will lease a car like this, rather than buy. That's the case with many pure-electrics.

Reply: Tesla isn't at the stage where they need to subsidize leases or financing, very different situation when compared to regular electrics and/or hybrids.

I agree it's not the plushest of interiors, but the fit/finish on the showroom example I looked at was marvelous, and most of the materials used were first rate....especially the dash trim and seat leather.

Reply: And Lexus and Mercedes interiors have first rate materials plus better detailing and styling at considerably lower MSRP. I tend to compare Tesla to top 4 premium brands for obvious reasons.

After a few miles, the computer may (?) be sensing your driving/braking style and adjusting the amount of regeneration to compensate.

Reply: No, it's more about getting familiar with a very different car. I adapt readily since I drive so many cars regularily.

I don't know if you got the chance to see the Model S cutaway, but those big air-suspension struts are like towers. I myself like some softness, as long as it's not excessive. But I can remember some big Fords, Mercurys, and Lincolns from the 60s and 70s, for example (and even the first Kia Amanti), that wallowed all over the place and rolled like beach-balls....that was just as annoying as an overly-stiff suspension. Electric power steering (as you probably know), rarely has the same feel as hydraulic units.

Reply: I've seen the model S cutaway at several dealerships in area, thankfully no junk like old Ford stuff.
Electric steering can be and has been improved by some automakers (mainly Mazda and Porsche) to be hydraulic steering-like in feel. I expect all major automakers to accomplish same. Even on my Lexus IS steering feel was greatly improved by better tire/wheel selection (an old tuner technique that makes a difference).

Oops, I messed up and embedded my responses in your text with IPad, I hope you can see them...

Last edited: