Mitsubishi stops production at Diamond-Star plant

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well, is anybody surprised? :rolleyes: Although it does not necessarily mean a total Mitsubishi pullout from the American market (which, despite company denials, I think is coming sooner or later), Mitsubishi is going to stop production at the Diamond-Star plant in Normal, IL, which also built some (former) Chrysler products sharing Mitsubishi platforms and components.

That plant has had a long-reputation for many problems, including poor quality control, labor/management issues, racial discrimination, sexual harassment, and others (there were civil lawsuits on some of those issues). The latest vehicles to come from that plant seem better-made now than in the past (the mid-90s vintage Eclipse/Talon/Laser, though popular with the customizing/slamming market, were especially poorly built). But, for those and other reasons (among them, a gross lack of dealerships to even sell their products), American-market sales have all but dried up.

A shame for the community, though....seems like the loss of a lot of jobs. Perhaps another automaker will take it over.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-mitsubishi-normal-0725-biz-20150724-story.html

Mitsubishi Motors will stop making vehicles at its Normal, Ill., plant and will try to sell the facility, only a few years after the state tried to rescue the plant from closing.

Mitsubishi is the sixth-biggest employer in the Bloomington-Normal area, with 1,280 full-time employees, according to the website for the Bloomington-Normal Economic Development Council

"Following a review of Mitsubishi Motor Corporation's global supply chain, we have been informed it is necessary to end production and seek a strategic buyer for the Normal plant," spokesman Alex Fedorak said in a statement Friday. The company's board will "make a formal decision in the near future," he said, adding that Mitsubishi's "focus right now is to identify a buyer who would continue to operate and maintain employment — the best potential outcome for our employees and the community."

The carmaker is ending production in the U.S. to focus on Asian markets, said a Japanese business newspaper, the Nikkei.

Jim Schultz, director of the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, said he was "saddened" to "see a company as large and pivotal as Mitsubishi close their doors in Illinois."

"We will be taking the necessary steps on the ground to help with job training and placement for the workers," he said. "We desperately need to improve the business climate here in Illinois."

The Normal economic development board, Normal's mayor, and union representatives couldn't be reached for comment Friday.

Kyle Young, vice president of United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America Local 2488, which represents the plant's workers, told Reuters on Thursday that the union's contract expires in August. "We haven't heard anything," he said. "We're supposed to have negotiations coming up" on a new contract. In the meantime, "It's business as usual here."

According to the local's website, it has nearly 1,000 active members employed at Mitsubishi Motors North America and about 600 retirees who are members. The local's website said the plant makes the Outlander Sport SUV.

Ryan Gremore, general manager of O'Brien Mitsubishi of Normal, told the Tribune on Friday that dealers know nothing beyond what has been reported in the Japanese media. "People with the answers are deciding not to comment," he said. "We're staying the course until then."

Fedorak, the Mitsubishi spokesman, said the North American market remains a priority for Mitsubishi Motors. "We will continue to sell Mitsubishi cars, including current and planned models, at Mitsubishi dealerships across the United States," he said.

In January 2012, Mitsubishi Motors North America delivered six new electric vehicles to the town of Normal and its mayor, Chris Koos. Gremore, the Mitsubishi dealer, was among the speakers at the event.

Mitsubishi is closing its plant despite years of local and state economic subsidies. The automaker's decision is ammunition to tax-incentive critics who say subsidies can't prevent a plant from leaving.

The plant opened in 1988, lured by $249 million in state and local subsidies. It was originally a joint venture between Mitsubishi Motors and Chrysler. Production began with sport coupes, but soon a second shift and four-door sedans were added.

In the 1990s, Mitsubishi bought the 50 percent of the operation that it didn't already own from Chrysler.

Annual production at the factory has fallen to 64,000 vehicles from more than 200,000 in 2002. The company sold only 82,000 vehicles in the U.S. last year, less than 1 percent of the total market. Staffing levels once reached 4,000.

The plant has faced uncertain times before.

In July 2004, according to Mitsubishi's website, it went to one shift from two at the Normal plant and laid off 1,200 of 3,150 employees working there. In 2003, Mitsubishi had contributed about $320 million to the local economy in taxes, salaries and benefits, the company said on its website.

About four years ago, after years of declining sales, Mitsubishi announced it would phase out production by 2014.

In response, the state pledged nearly $30 million in tax incentives over 10 years. In exchange, the automaker pledged to invest $45 million to produce the Outlander Sport crossover and retain 1,200 jobs. The state has since doled out tax credit certificates, similar to a voucher, worth about $7.2 million and hundreds of thousands of dollars in training funds.

Asked Friday if the state would recoup the incentives, the state's Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity said it would be "premature" to comment.

On its website, Mitsubishi characterized the Normal facility as "one of the most technologically advanced automotive manufacturing facilities in the world."

Nikkei said Mitsubishi would be the first major Japanese automaker to end production in both the U.S. and Europe. The company has built a plant in Thailand, bought one from Ford in the Philippines and is building one in Indonesia.

The Normal plant is the only Japanese-owned U.S. auto factory whose hourly workers are represented by the UAW, Reuters said.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Can't say I'm surprised either. What is surprising (at least to me), is how Mitsubishi maintains a noticeable level of popularity here in Canada. I've seen a lot of Lancers and Outlanders over the last few years, in different parts of the country.

Also regarding the Diamond-Star plant, I can't imagine any automaker wanting to take over that plant.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Also regarding the Diamond-Star plant, I can't imagine any automaker wanting to take over that plant.

Maybe, if they get the plant cheap enough....and/or the State of Illinois gives the new buyer business or tax incentives. Demand in the U.S. for the Range Rover, for example, clearly outstrips supply. Maybe Tata Motors, Land Rover's owner, could use another plant.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Not sure which automaker would want a plant tied to the UAW. I'm sure they could be dropped and replaced with a non-union workforce, but I imagine there would be a lot of issues to deal with and sort through.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Can't say I'm surprised either. What is surprising (at least to me), is how Mitsubishi maintains a noticeable level of popularity here in Canada. I've seen a lot of Lancers and Outlanders over the last few years, in different parts of the country.

Yes, same observation in parts Asia (not speaking of Japan only obviously).

Agreed, the better car companies don't select cheap/bargain-priced substandard plants.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Agreed, the better car companies don't select cheap/bargain-priced substandard plants.

Even if they can put their own tooling in and start from scratch? Mitsubishi was also such a poorly-run auto manufacturer than almost anyone else, in their place, would be an improvement.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Not sure which automaker would want a plant tied to the UAW. I'm sure they could be dropped and replaced with a non-union workforce, but I imagine there would be a lot of issues to deal with and sort through.

Illinois is not a Right-to-Work state, but, if they wanted to save the plant badly enough, the legislature and Governor could (?) suspend those rules for any manufacturer that agrees to buy it, and allow non-Union employees. In fact, that has been done in some other jurisdictions. With unemployment in Illinois being what it is (and the plant closing only making it worse), I'd bet that the plant wouldn't have any trouble getting job-applicants if another manufacturer came in.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Even if they can put their own tooling in and start from scratch? Mitsubishi was also such a poorly-run auto manufacturer than almost anyone else, in their place, would be an improvement.

Yes even so, not worth it. Starting from scratch means not being within 250 miles of that plant. Starting from scratch is often preferred, at which point the old Mitsubishi plant would be completely off the table.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Nothing is certain, but I simply see too many drawbacks for any automaker to want this Mitsubishi plant, over other alternatives.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Nothing is certain, but I simply see too many drawbacks for any automaker to want this Mitsubishi plant, over other alternatives.

Well, I certainly respect your opinion on that. :)

As for myself, no matter what happens to that plant, I personally think Mitsubishi is going to be through in the U.S. in just a matter of time, though just the fact alone of this plant's closing doesn't guarantee that. But I can't see them surviving much longer with just a couple of American-market products left, and a constantly dwindling number of dealerships. That is pretty much what happened to Isuzu and Suzuki....they ended up folding under much the same circumstances.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I agree 100% that we will see Mitsubishi leave the US market. With that said, I see them continuing to import models into Canada, due to the puzzling moderate level of popularity for Lancers and Outlanders here.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I agree 100% that we will see Mitsubishi leave the US market. With that said, I see them continuing to import models into Canada, due to the puzzling moderate level of popularity for Lancers and Outlanders here.

I agree that the Lancer's popularity is not easily explained, unless you are talking about the sport-oriented Ralliart and Evo models popular with tuners. Still, that buyer-demographic is not a very large part of the car-buying public. With the Outlander and Outlander Sport, though (I notice that in Canada it is called the RVR), the popularity might be somewhat easier explained, as it offers car-based SUV utility and AWD weather-capability at a low price.