Lexus IS F Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires

Reactions
My 2017 SI 350 has 225/40 ZR18’s on the front and 255/35 ZR18’s on the rear. Any comments or reviews on these?

I know very little about tires and am trying to find out exactly what the difference is between the front and back tires. I can see the back ones are wider, but would love to learn exactly what the width and profile differences are. Also I would love to hear what you guys think of these tires.

Thanks

Reactions
I was able to find out the width and profile measurements, but would like to hear what others think of these tires.

225/40 means that the front tires are 225mm wide(just under 9”), with a 40-percent sidewall aspect ratio. In other words, the height of the sidewall is 40 percent of the tread width. Multiply 225 by 0.4 to get the 90mm(3.543”) sidewall height.

255/35 indicates that the tire is 255mm wide(just over 10”), with a 35-percent sidewall aspect ratio. In other words, the height of the sidewall is 35 percent of the tread width. Multiply 255 by 0.35 to get an 89.25mm(3.514”) sidewall height.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yes you have a staggered setup. Wider in the rear. This is for better handling and traction on a RWD car. But you can’t rotate tires.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
We put these on our IS 350 F Sport and the rears were completely worn out in 8k miles with average to slightly aggressive driving. The fronts still had 90% life left. Michelin was only willing to cover 30% of the new set under warranty.

Not very happy with the experience. I was a former Michelin die hard, but over the years, I've been happier with Bridgestone and some Yokohama tires.

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
Depends on what you are looking for. The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a balance between A/S with some performance. The Pilot Sport 4S (Summer tire) is the replacement model for Pilot Super Sport. I happen to like the 4S. Traction is amazing compared to the Bridgstone's or Dunlops. If you want to burn rubber/drift - go with the Bridgestone Turanza ER33s or maybe the Dunlops. For the price in the GA area, I prefer the Pilot Sport 4S for the way I like to drive...Spirited and fast. When it comes to mileage warranty (example: Michelin, since you would have staggered fitment, the mileage is 50% of what is stated since rotations (front to back) can't be done) - Tire care/maint tips - perform alignment check and alignments if needed more frequently, 4 wheel balance, and make sure tire pressures are spot on more than usual to get the most out of them.

Naturally, tires are shoes for the car, and also yield different characteristics on what the driver is looking for and how the driver "drives." Also consider what type of roads you generally commute on, and what is your price point that you are willing to invest in the tire(s).