Mercedes Cutting Entry Level Models, Focusing (Even More) Upmarket

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

If you need further proof that the auto market its lopsided in favor of the high end right now, it's here. Mercedes-Benz plans to cut three 43 percent of its entry level offerings, while adding an upmarket line of cars even more exclusive than Maybach. The lower end of the market simply isn't profitable enough, so the company is putting more than 75% of its budget towards enticing customers who demand ultra luxury.

The strategy was outlined in a session called "Economics of Desire" hosted on the Côte d’Azur. Mercedes-Benz credits its shift to a 2021 sales figures, which saw record breaking sales of AMG and Maybach models. In its core brand, the flagship sedan S-Class saw a jump of 40%.

These vehicles, plus the G-Class, EQ and EQS, comprise what Mercedes calls its "Top-End" category. Using 2019 as a baseline, this group will see a sales growth of 60% by 2026 if everything goes according to plan. Soon, that will include a series of "ultra-exclusive collector cars' called the Mythos Series. Little was revealed about the line, but production will be limited and the cars will be offered only to "the most dedicated enthusiasts and collectors of Mercedes-Benz."

Additionally, the AMG.EA platform underpinning the Vision AMG concept will be a key part of Top-End expansion, as are the limited edition and collaboration specials such as the Virgil Abloh Maybach (pictured) that had a run of 150 units. Mercedes also said it was looking for ways to grow the G product family beyond the upcoming electric G-Class.

The next category down is called "Core Luxury," which includes the C- and E-Class and their derivative models, as well as electric cars built on the EVA2 platform (EQE) and MB.EA platforms. A new E-Class will make its debut in 2023 to headline this segment.

Last, and apparently least, there's the "Entry Level" category, which currently includes the A-, CLA- and GLA-Class cars and crossovers. Elsewhere in the world, Mercedes sells the B- and GLB-Class, as well as additional models deriving from the A-Class such as a wagon and hatchback. It's not clear which ones will get the axe, but three out of seven will be scuttled.

Whatever's left will be developed on the compact MMA platform, which launches in 2024 alongside the MB.OS operating system. Mercedes-Benz plans to go fully electric with new car sales by 2030 "wherever market conditions allow" and has "the ambition to become CO2-neutral by 2039" according to a press release.

The shift in strategy is a departure from the company's former market share-grabbing approach that spawned models like the CLA. We're seeing brands specialize as they venture into the EV and possibly autonomous future. As cars converge in functionality and capability, companies will have to depend on other characteristics, like brand and exclusivity, to stand out.

Kind of interesting stuff here. I think Mercedes has been quite successful the last few years expanding trims and models at the upper part of the lineup, and we all know those are the most profitable, too. It's an interesting move after the Germans' race to the bottom with entry level models 15 years ago.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Thought it had already been announced that A Sedan is being discontinued, no next-gen B Class or CLA Shooting Brake either. Leaving the A Hatch, CLA Sedan, GLA, and GLB.
That's already good thing, Merc has a lot of redundant

E / CLS / GT-4door

C coupe / E coupe / S coupe

Good for 1 GT 1 sport plan with simple C/E/S sedan lineup

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
It does sort of check out when now $30-40k Camrys and Accords are sort of the norm. Same for a CRV or RAV4. Hard for Mercedes to offer much smaller, less premium vehicles in those classes when especially in America, size is equated with price.
I think Mercedes realized there are not many repeat conquest buyers of ex/Accordian/Camrians and those buyers who did buy these vehicles probably wanted more space then a A-series.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I find this somewhat ironic, considering how aggressively Mercedes-Benz pushed down-market and how well the product (CLA) seemed to sell when it was first introduced a decade ago.

But I guess this is really not surprising. Mercedes-Benz is alone among the German luxury brands not to have in-house lower-tier brands (e.g. VW feeding Audi, and MINI feeding BMW) and upper-tier brands (e.g. Bentley in the VW Group, and Rolls-Royce in the BMW group). If MB wants to move up-market, it does not have an equivalent to Bentley or RR to do that; it has no choice but to invent ever-higher trim levels for its flagship vehicles.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I find this somewhat ironic, considering how aggressively Mercedes-Benz pushed down-market and how well the product (CLA) seemed to sell when it was first introduced a decade ago.

But I guess this is really not surprising. Mercedes-Benz is alone among the German luxury brands not to have in-house lower-tier brands (e.g. VW feeding Audi, and MINI feeding BMW) and upper-tier brands (e.g. Bentley in the VW Group, and Rolls-Royce in the BMW group). If MB wants to move up-market, it does not have an equivalent to Bentley or RR to do that; it has no choice but to invent ever-higher trim levels for its flagship vehicles.
Honestly it somehow have Aston Martin
I wanted Toyota stop get AM long time ago but if Benz take it , then they will have RR and Bentley equivalent

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Honestly it somehow have Aston Martin
I wanted Toyota stop get AM long time ago but if Benz take it , then they will have RR and Bentley equivalent
Aston Martin is not part of the MB group; it is a technical partnership rather than feeder relationship. And it is not a Bentley or Rolls-Royce competitor.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
If there was even slither of profit left on the table for select European brands to go down market it would have to be in a partnership like say Subuaru and Saab (not that this partnership had any profits associated).

iu

iu

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Mercedes-Benz is alone among the German luxury brands not to have in-house lower-tier brands (e.g. VW feeding Audi, and MINI feeding BMW)

One could (?) consider the Smart division, which is Mercedes-owned, as its lower-tier brand.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Aston Martin is not part of the MB group; it is a technical partnership rather than feeder relationship. And it is not a Bentley or Rolls-Royce competitor.
I know that but by looking at the future products, it looks like more and more AMG will be involve in AM future

And Sir, AM is the same level especially with Lagonda branding , they just need cash to make it right not like Taraf, even Taraf was not bad though

And for down-market if Subaru or Mazda were still single I could say one of them but for now only Renault or Nissan or both as Nissan's Infiniti shall be killed soon , Nissan itself shall be near luxury with Renault the mainstream and Merc the luxury and AM at the top

I know I fantasize, but those are the only down-market left

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I hope Mercedes rewards the dealerships that were fair with customers, but realistically its probably gonna be whoever posted the highest numbers I assume.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Brands are moving from volume based profit models. Dealers never likes the CLA, A class etc. What i’ve been told since they arrived is it brings a completely different buyer in which is cheaper not not a traditional mercedes-benz customer. They also complain more, Sales people told me stories of a skipping their “ups” on these customers for one that might want an e or s class. And we all have to admit they didn’t elevate the brand and might have tarnished it a bit.

So this isn’t surprising especially when the new c class, the old entry level model, starts now at around 45k for a 4 cylinder.

The writing has been on the wall for years. The low end cars and brands will be squeezed out. Brands will continue to focus on the higher end market.