Mazda developing new Skyactiv-X / Skyactiv-D inline 6

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Sorry, but RWD and AWD are quite different (obviously). I know you are more hung up on the business case for Mazda going upmarket - and I agree with you - but there are huge differences between what the rumors said (RWD) and what seems to be coming for production (AWD). The cars will be built and engineered completely differently in one case or another.

Reactions
Sorry, but RWD and AWD are quite different (obviously). I know you are more hung up on the business case for Mazda going upmarket - and I agree with you - but there are huge differences between what the rumors said (RWD) and what seems to be coming for production (AWD). The cars will be built and engineered completely differently in one case or another.

Well here's the thing, if it isn't a purely RWD car, I presume it will at least be a RWD-biased car, which is the most important thing. I doubt that it's going to be a pure 50:50 AWD system with no bias in the front or rear. I can't really think of a modern car that is like that.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
After reading the postings since Mazda announced its new i6 rwd/awd platform ideas I have a few thoughts I would like to share. First off, I am an auto enthusiast and I am not necessarily brand loyal but I do have my preferences. Mazda, Toyota, and Subaru are some of my favorites. Not only for the products they produce but their outlook on business and future development. My first car was a Mazda and what a great car it was. Mazda really impressed me again in 2013 after they left their partnership with Ford and had the new Mazda6 as well as CX5. I was dead set on a 2018 Mazda6 Signature but held off, and now it’s 2021 and I’m looking at a new Camry so there’s that. Mazda has always impressed me with its vehicles but the two big things that held me back were resale, and the goofy infotainment system they’ve implemented. I just wasn’t sure if I could get used to it. It saddens me to think that Mazda is digging their own grave in the fellow posters opinions. They really are a great company. I just hope Mazda brings a next gen 6 because sedans are great! Time will tell but I think a partnership with Toyota will help them but not enough. I just hope they don’t die as an automaker.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Well here's the thing, if it isn't a purely RWD car, I presume it will at least be a RWD-biased car, which is the most important thing. I doubt that it's going to be a pure 50:50 AWD system with no bias in the front or rear. I can't really think of a modern car that is like that.

if it is going to be awd only, to me that looks like it is using FWD platform. Otherwise there is absolutely no reason to not have rwd model.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
if it is going to be awd only, to me that looks like it is using FWD platform. Otherwise there is absolutely no reason to not have rwd model.
That was my thought also but that may be difficult if Mazda is developing an inline-6 engine. Fitting an I6 in a transverse layout would be difficult. Mazda could fit the I6 in a longitudinal platform (like Audi or Subaru) but that would essentially be a RWD-based AWD architecture.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
That was my thought also but that may be difficult if Mazda is developing an inline-6 engine. Fitting an I6 in a transverse layout would be difficult. Mazda could fit the I6 in a longitudinal platform (like Audi or Subaru) but that would essentially be a RWD-based AWD architecture.

What Audis/Subarus have rwd based awd?

mikeavelli

Reactions
With Toyota having the RWD Mirari, maybe it will share with Toyota? Just a thought. I have no idea what vehicle.

I like how Mazda has slowly moved into an Acura/Buick kind of space. Not sure if they have upgraded dealerships.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Wasn't that a thought all along, that Mazda will borrow a Toyota platform, especially if, in return, Toyota borrows Mazda's I6?

but why would Toyota borrow NA I6 engine? For what vehicle? Does not make sense to me.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
What I meant to say is that a longitudinal engine (I6) placement is essentially a RWD platform.

Not always, like you mentioned Audi, the MLB platform that 70% of their cars use are FWD-based AWD yet still longitudinal. But I do think the upcoming Mazda platform will be more RWD-based

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Every Mazda concept has had (mid-front) RWD proportions. Production car went with clear FWD proportion and layout. Mazda clearly wanted to have RWD looking car in their ideal, unlike Toyota (with exception of FT-1 and Lexus LF-LC), or Honda, that hasn't had any recent RWD car except the S2000. Even Nissan does not show such a desire of having RWD based cars (see Infiniti). If new Mazda 6 will be AWD only, it will cost more or be the cheapest AWD sedan, same goes for their CX-5 should it use the same platform.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
but why would Toyota borrow NA I6 engine? For what vehicle? Does not make sense to me.

Toyota will have a 3 FR sedan vehicles as the new BestCar
2 for Lexus
A midsize executive luxury 4 door coupe
A small luxury sedan
1 for Toyota
And midsize executive sedan

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Toyota will have a 3 FR sedan vehicles as the new BestCar
2 for Lexus
A midsize executive luxury 4 door coupe
A small luxury sedan
1 for Toyota
And midsize executive sedan

300hp NA engine does nothing for Lexus. It is understandable for Mazda though.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
well so here are official pics of Mazda's RWD-based platform.
large-gasoline-engine-48v-mild-hev-s-1623946042.jpg

it clearly is a RWD FR-L based platform, with the engine behind the front axle (not like Audi and Subaru, on or in front of the front axle).

we also see double wishbone front suspension. even it will only come with AWD (like M5 or M340i for example), it clearly is a handling machine.

but I agree, it makes no sense whatsoever. so this must be a Toyota-Mazda collaboration (maybe Mazda using new Toyota/Lexus IS platform).

i think we can say real new IS is coming, maybe even RC.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Idk man if this RWD based platform is a collaboration between Mazda and Toyota they would've said so already. Whatever's the case, the upcoming higher end Mazdas are going to be amazing.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Idk man if this RWD based platform is a collaboration between Mazda and Toyota they would've said so already. Whatever's the case, the upcoming higher end Mazdas are going to be amazing.
if toyota said anything, they would admit next gen is, i think they want to sell the current facelift before. same thing happened with LS, extended facelift before new gen.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It has a transfer case and propeller shaft to front wheel, so this is an AWD platform.

48V MHEV in 2022 is so late to the game though.