Man killed by IS300 being remotely started

Reactions
According to preliminary information from police, Michael Kosanovich, 21, was standing between two parked 2002 Lexus IS300s on 148th Street in South Jamaica at around 10 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 6 when the operator of one of the luxury cars started it “by remote.”

The remote-controlled engine ignition system was an after-market addition to the car, as it was not offered as a feature by Lexus in 2002, a spokesperson for the company told Streetsblog after initial publication of this story.

“Our deepest sympathy goes out to the family and friends of Michael Kosanovich,” Toyota North America said in a statement to Streetsblog. “Although many details are unknown at this time, we will work in close cooperation with law enforcement agencies in their investigation upon request.”
Had to be an aftermarket starter obviously. Not sure if automatic or manual, but given the %s, I suspect it was an auto.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
That's why I think it's a manual. They would've had to have left it in D and disabled the park interlock for it to try and start in D.

Yes, chances are it was a manual. If my memory is right (and I owned a 1Gen IS300), the 5-speed stick was only done in 2002 and 2003.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Yes, chances are it was a manual. If my memory is right (and I owned a 1Gen IS300), the 5-speed stick was only done in 2002 and 2003.
I'm sure they offered it all the way until 2005
Correct. Manual IS 300 was offered from 2002-2005 model years in North America. What they discontinued prematurely was the limited-slip differential option in conjunction with the manual. That happened midway through the 2004 model year.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I know! Worse, the idiots at Lexus' southeast region decided you didn't really need LSD where it doesn't snow (such as Florida, where I live). That was the main reason I had to special-order and wait 4 months for my IS 300 manual w/LSD to arrive.

Yeah.....the 2001 IS300 I owned (with automatic) apparently didn't have LSD...it was a PITA on winter toads, even with snow-mode for the transmission, all-season rubber, and traction control.