Alternative propulsion vehicles discussion

Levi

Expert
Reactions
i do not know if it is ok in general discussion or should be posted in garage, but not to derail every other thread i think it makes sense to have a general place to discuss anything BEV, including alternatives like FCEVs.

to kick off i think this fresh article is a good read to present the current situation from a legislative/political perspective, rather than the usual technological/business perspective that we usually have and can of course discuss in this thread.

here it goes:

“If you need a new car in 2036, there won’t be a choice,” said Sigrid de Vries, who runs the EU’s components industry lobby CLEPA. “The car will have an electric engine, regardless of whether it fits the need or not, is affordable or not, or if there is green energy and the infrastructure to charge it or not.”

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
15 years if a very long time.... by then there will be no need for legislation, most people will already be driving EV

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
So far nobody is getting serious about hydrogen, therefore sales are rounding error at best, going nowhere. A majority of Tesla Model 3 owners are not the zealots, obviously some are. Practical considerations as described by Bogglo are most often motivation. Free EV charging at work is also common at tech companies in CA. The Tesla supercharging network is actually easy to use, unlike anything else 3rd party. Automotive enthusiasts are a small subset (like me), people that enjoy both fast gas and fast electric cars.

Will1991

Reactions
So far nobody is getting serious about hydrogen, therefore sales are rounding error at best, going nowhere.

Most manufacturers I know are pointing 2025~2027 for serious FCEV rollout, even those who try their best to only speak publicly about BEV’s nowadays.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Every carmaker is in secretly working on FCEVs. Because BEVs only is just not possible. Also to support production of hydrogen and electric cars, new nuclear power plants of small sizes are getting built.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
It's unfortunate that a subset of the population have the attitude BEV or nothing. That is closed-minded thinking.

The future should be and will be a mix of technologies to reduce the carbon footprint. The govt should set emissions targets and let the market decide how we get there. I'm sure many people in the population would like a 5 minute fill up time and hydrogen works for them. For others, they want to carry around 800-1000 lbs of batteries to feel like they are helping the environment.

The Tesla semi to me is a joke. Who wants thousands of pounds of batteries to move such a beast? I think hydrogen makes more sense for a semi than batteries.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Most manufacturers I know are pointing 2025~2027 for serious FCEV rollout, even those who try their best to only speak publicly about BEV’s nowadays.
That's great, the trick is successful volume production/adoption, tbd in 2025-2027. Yes, BEVs should not be only way to get it done.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
It's unfortunate that a subset of the population have the attitude BEV or nothing. That is closed-minded thinking.

The future should be and will be a mix of technologies to reduce the carbon footprint. The govt should set emissions targets and let the market decide how we get there. I'm sure many people in the population would like a 5 minute fill up time and hydrogen works for them. For others, they want to carry around 800-1000 lbs of batteries to feel like they are helping the environment.

The Tesla semi to me is a joke. Who wants thousands of pounds of batteries to move such a beast? I think hydrogen makes more sense for a semi than batteries.
The perfect world would be a gradual transition to performance requirement based energy sources; for example/opinion BEV in urban populations, FCEV in heavy machinery like trucks, PHEV in between and so on. But the reality is right now BEV is like frank's red hot, automakers are putting that **** on everything.

@Will1991 any chance we can divest the threads about alternative fuels into a separate thread? Hate to take away from @Gecko original post.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The perfect world would be a gradual transition to performance requirement based energy sources; for example/opinion BEV in urban populations, FCEV in heavy machinery like trucks, PHEV in between and so on. But the reality is right now BEV is like frank's red hot, automakers are putting that **** on everything.

@Will1991 any chance we can divest the threads about alternative fuels into a separate thread? Hate to take away from @Gecko original post.
I actually created this thread for general BEV discussions, including tech, infrastructure, resources, alternatives, etc.... but there was not much going on.

Will1991

Reactions
I actually created this thread for general BEV discussions, including tech, infrastructure, resources, alternatives, etc.... but there was not much going on.

I've merged some posts and edited the thread title to have a broader meaning.