Lexus UX (UX 200, UX 250h, 300e) Megathread

Will1991

Reactions

Apparently MY2023 Corolla will receive the 5th generation HSD system:

If true, it makes perfect sense to also update it on the UX250h, that would mean a nice improvement inn both power and fuel consumption!

5th gen HSD System with 2L engine in the Corolla Cross:

image.png

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
197hp in the Hybrid would be sweet. Hopefully that would be in time when my current NX300h lease expires in December 2023 because it looks like I'm going to have to downsize and reduce payments if I can.

Reactions
Apparently MY2023 Corolla will receive the 5th generation HSD system:

If true, it makes perfect sense to also update it on the UX250h, that would mean a nice improvement inn both power and fuel consumption!

5th gen HSD System with 2L engine in the Corolla Cross:

image.png

I'm aware, but I would love it if the normal Corolla hybrid got that powertrain as well.

And if the Prius gets it too then it will be a ton of fun to drive with the new TNGA platform.

Will1991

Reactions
No changes to the powertrain:

"
Efficient powertrains

The UX’s powertrains are unchanged. The UX 250h achieves excellent efficiency and refined performance with fourth generation Lexus hybrid electric technology, its 2.0-litre system developing 184 DIN hp/135kW. The UX 200 is powered by a near-identical version of the hybrid model’s four-cylinder, 2.0-litre petrol engine. This unit is notable for its exceptional 40% thermal efficiency, helping it secure strong fuel economy and low CO2 emissions.
"

Source: https://newsroom.lexus.eu/lexus-ux-upgrades-deliver-new-tech-improved-handling-and-more-choice/

With the new Corolla Cross coming to Europe with the more efficient and powerful 5th hybrid system, this is going to get harder to sell.
Also, no news about an improved 300e variant... Is Lexus expecting to sell it in Europe until 2025 with such a high price for the available range and slow CHAdeMO fast charging?

The interior seems to be a huge improvement with this new infotainment and the Lexus Remote Touch gone!

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I'm selling my Corolla HB on Sunday and looking at my next daily. The GR Corolla is my top choice, but I figured that if the UX got the 5th gen hybrid, the UX could be a temporary stand-in until GR availability improves. Adaptive variable suspension sounds pretty nice. And then I get hit with carryover 4th gen for the UX. SMH

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
No changes to the powertrain:

"
Efficient powertrains

The UX’s powertrains are unchanged. The UX 250h achieves excellent efficiency and refined performance with fourth generation Lexus hybrid electric technology, its 2.0-litre system developing 184 DIN hp/135kW. The UX 200 is powered by a near-identical version of the hybrid model’s four-cylinder, 2.0-litre petrol engine. This unit is notable for its exceptional 40% thermal efficiency, helping it secure strong fuel economy and low CO2 emissions.
"

Source: https://newsroom.lexus.eu/lexus-ux-upgrades-deliver-new-tech-improved-handling-and-more-choice/

With the new Corolla Cross coming to Europe with the more efficient and powerful 5th hybrid system, this is going to get harder to sell.
Also, no news about an improved 300e variant... Is Lexus expecting to sell it in Europe until 2025 with such a high price for the available range and slow CHAdeMO fast charging?

The interior seems to be a huge improvement with this new infotainment and the Lexus Remote Touch gone!

So looks like it's definitely possible to retrofit the new multimedia system on older models but somehow.......they intentionally left out their best-selling ES and most crucially, their flagship LS when both of them had their chance to do so during their refreshes. Now the supposely "entry" model has the latest Lexus interface, while their most popular and the "top of the line" model is still using their last-gen multimedia......Yea that sounded very logical to me.

Will1991

Reactions
I wasn't expecting for this one for the USA:

"
UX will be exclusively hybrid in line with Lexus Electrified plan
"

Source: https://pressroom.lexus.com/refresh...s-performance-multimedia-safety-enhancements/

So looks like it's definitely possible to retrofit the new multimedia system on older models but somehow.......they intentionally left out their best-selling ES and most crucially, their flagship LS when both of them had their chance to do so during their refreshes. Now the supposely "entry" model has the latest Lexus interface, while their most popular and the "top of the line" model is still using their last-gen multimedia......Yea that sounded very logical to me.

ES is rumored to get similar improvements as well:

I haven't read anything about the LS...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It is interesting to me that the UX went straight to Lexus Interface when the rumors suggested the old system, just without the Remote Touch controller.

If the 2023 IS and ES get Lexus Interface, that would be AWESOME!

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
It is interesting to me that the UX went straight to Lexus Interface when the rumors suggested the old system, just without the Remote Touch controller.

If the 2023 IS and ES get Lexus Interface, that would be AWESOME!
Toyota seems to be moving very quickly to refresh its lineup with the new multimedia system -- Highlander, Venza, UX, rumoured ES -- so keep your hopes up.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I do wonder if the GX gets a one MY infotainment upgrade lol

I wonder what kind of penalty box one might have if they decided to take a base nx-h over a loaded UXh

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Can't believe in two and half more years (or slightly earlier), solid state batteries will be fitted to Toyota/Lexus hybrids.

I really like the UX dash layout except for the Frankenstein looking stalk beside the instrument cluster LOL. Touch screen interface is a bonus.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions

This and the IS have a better design language, at least upfront, compared to the RZ. Hopefully the next few BEVs from Lexus will have more normal looking grills instead of spindle design embedded onto the actual body.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The fact they switch to Interface so quickly during a global chip shortage shows their strong supply chain control. Many manufacturers are cutting back features like touch screen, USB ports, GPS module etc.

This probably also suggests the new multimedia system uses fewer chips than the legacy system and it's actually cheaper to use the new system. Modern systems-on-chips does the job of many chips in just one chip (e.g. the main processor in your phone used to require a dozen other chips to do the same work). Hopefully that's what they are using.

Imagine if they promised that they'd be hybrid-only by 2030 and not EV-only...

That would've been so much better.
The reality on the ground is changing quickly and how people view EVs will be very different in 8 years compared to Today. Promises are flexible.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The reality on the ground is changing quickly and how people view EVs will be very different in 8 years compared to Today. Promises are flexible.
Growth will be rapid, but at what point (market share/penetration) will growth slow down? 90%, 70%, 50%? And in which regions? Which zones, urban/rural?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Growth will be rapid, but at what point (market share/penetration) will growth slow down? 90%, 70%, 50%? And in which regions? Which zones, urban/rural?
Even if some cities ban non-ZEVs from entering by 2025, countries ban non-ZEVs by 2030 / 2035, there will still be a lot of used non-ZEVs that can be purchased.

Value proposition for EVs is great as long as the battery warranty is intact and gasoline prices keep inching up. Not one single manufacturer talks about battery refurbishment/replacement though Tesla does offer them at $22K for the S and $16K for the 3. Not sure if battery material costs increasing will make battery replacements more expensive soon.

I don't know why some EV fanatics are thinking current Li-ion batteries can easily last 15 years and beyond when even the tried and true NiMH on Toyota hybrids usually conk out before 15 years are over though I think the warranty on the HV battery is 15 years in UK and maybe in other parts of Europe. Some brag about little degradation but they're not calculating it correctly by looking at the original usable capacity, total capacity and the slow release of the reserve/buffer capacity into the usable capacity.

HV batteries in HEVs are more abused (high charge and discharge rates) but they're not used 100% of the time.

Also if Li-ion batteries can last 20 years, why are so many automaker and battery manufacturers doing R&D and experimenting with lithium metal and solid state batteries? 20 year life is way beyond the eight year warranty so there's really no need to further stretch the life out unless current batteries aren't up to that task.

Sure, lots of prospective buyers care about fast charging time and driving range but really the issue with BEVs right now is the price premium and eventually battery replacement issue. There's just too little data on battery failures, mileage, replacement costs that many are staying on the sidelines. Used BEV prices haven't really come down as much and chip and car shortage has led to a crazy used market. Would love to see some '12 - '14 Model S original batteries go beyond 15 years.

Also the 500-1,000 full charge cycle life is an average. Which means there will be a good part that will last longer, and some that can die sooner. If some cells die and elicit an error, vendors on Tesla Motor Club, suggest replacing defective cells with new ones is not the right solution. I didn't look too much into the right way of fixing battery cell/module issues.