Lexus UX (UX 200, UX 250h, 300e) Megathread

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Weight is very impressive and about the same as C-HR, despite whatever extras were added to make it a Lexus. Nicely done!

i am not so sure, remember euro vs us weight, different counting (dry weight, etc). In any case, it has aluminium doors, front fenders and plastic hatch.

edit: Toyota.fr says 1460 kg for C-HR Hybrid... keep in mind this is likely without full equipment and no e-awd of course.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
With a 70kg weight penalty for the 250h system it will still be hard to justify E-Four on a bigger vehicle like the Highlander/RX.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
With a 70kg weight penalty for the 250h system it will still be hard to justify E-Four on a bigger vehicle like the Highlander/RX.

Not if you need snow performance.

For everything else maybe, but gotta drive it first I guess.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^Was referring to the engineering choice on their part. The point is E-Four is still too heavy and complex compared to a regular transverse AWD system at high power ratings.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
^Was referring to the engineering choice on their part. The point is E-Four is still too heavy and complex compared to a regular transverse AWD system at high power ratings.

system in UX is same weight as in C-HR 2.0l... both add 70 kg.

Reactions
I'm sold on the lexus UX and I'm looking to replace my RX400H with the UX soon.

Noob question. is the UX Hybrid system the same as Lexus RX Hybrid and E-CVT ? As I understand, the UX Hybrid only has 1 battery to drive the rear wheels so the system is quite different to the RX setup which has 3 batteries. Also, being a Hybrid, does the UX runs aircon from the hybrid battery or ICE engine?

Official 0-100km/h is 8.7 secs for the Hybrid. I think this is like 2 secs faster than Prius. C-HR 1.2L Turbo takes 11.0s

80km - 120km/h is 6.5 secs

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I'm sold on the lexus UX and I'm looking to replace my RX400H with the UX soon.

Noob question. is the UX Hybrid system the same as Lexus RX Hybrid and E-CVT ? As I understand, the UX Hybrid only has 1 battery to drive the rear wheels so the system is quite different to the RX setup which has 3 batteries. Also, being a Hybrid, does the UX runs aircon from the hybrid battery or ICE engine?

Official 0-100km/h is 8.7 secs for the Hybrid. I think this is like 2 secs faster than Prius. C-HR 1.2L Turbo takes 11.0s

80km - 120km/h is 6.5 secs

it is same concept, smaller engine than RX... so 3 motors (not batteries), with one being at the back.

Also - Prius 80-120kmh is 8.3s-8.5s... so UX is substantially faster.

Reactions
it is same concept, smaller engine than RX... so 3 motors (not batteries), with one being at the back.

Also - Prius 80-120kmh is 8.3s-8.5s... so UX is substantially faster.

Thanks for confirming. I'm so used to the serenity of zero vibration while my RX400H is stationary that I can't see myself going back to the conventional engine. I can live with the UX if it can do 0-100km/h in under 9 secs. 8.7s to 100km/hr is quite decent for a 2.0L Hybrid.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Decent handling says C/D

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-lexus-ux-crossover-first-drive

If the UX is a commuter car under its wild skin, it's a good car to drive. We continue to be impressed with the dynamic qualities of Toyota models that ride on the brand's TNGA family of platforms, and the UX's chassis boasts progressive-feeling steering, nicely tuned damping, and a satisfying sense of quiet refinement.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
let us know your impressions when you see it live.

I have mixed feelings after seeing it in person. It was a prototype so the interior hard plastics were shiny and looked really cheap b/c they were missing the textured grain finish. Also, the rear door panel will be all hard plastic with the exception of the middle panel piece and arm rest.

That aside, the interior was nicely put together especially the dashboard. Love the styling and the dark aluminum-grained plastic (wish it were real aluminum though). Exterior is very unique especially at the side and rear. Side profile at the rear still looks a bit strange to me but it is growing on me. The not-so good is the very tight headroom with the moonroof and tight rear legroom. Similarly, cargo capacity is tight as well. I measured about only 21 inches in height from the floor to the ceiling (250h has a higher floor than the 200). Compare that to 26 inches for the NX and 30 for the RX.

In short:
:thumbsup:Except the hard plastic rear door panel, overall nice styling and interior interior quality including a nicely finished cargo area.
:thumbsdown: Interior room and cargo capacity marginally bigger than the CT. Majority of competitors XC40, X1, E-Pace, etc all roomier.

Took several pics from two separate dealers near me showcasing the prototype. Enjoy!

20180910_193851.jpg

20180910_193916.jpg

20180910_202625.jpg

20180910_193955.jpg

20180911_223412.jpg

20180911_223626.jpg

20180915_145019.jpg

20180915_145031.jpg

20180915_150034.jpg

20180915_145841.jpg

Last edited:

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
10 pic limit, three more...

20180915_145228.jpg

20180910_194143.jpg

NOTE the full plastic window trim. Lexus has brought this back from a hiatus in recent other Lexus vehicles which have just the corners rounded off in plastic. (RX, IS, ES, NX, GX, ...). I like the full plastic better in the UX - looks better finished. :) Let's hope Lexus put felt underneath to avoid the notorious squeaks this has caused from my experience otherwise it's DIY time!

20180910_194007.jpg

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Cool.. as I posted in CL thread, we already know that newer preproduction vehicles had nice plastic around the instruments.

As to the back seats, I suggest you check reviews for similar vehicles... none of them have better interior quality, and I am sure plenty have worse... All the media reports were pretty happy with quality, calling it either among the best or the best.

Cant expect it to have LS quality for $32k, but overall it is very nicely designed package.

I agree about the trunk, Lexus EU even said they will try to lower the shelf to the bottom, as there is a lot of space beneath it... but overall, it is similar to C-HR, including back room (hard to get into but actually livable). And C-HR has been the most popular new Toyota vehicle since... Rav4 in 90s?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
A news release from the Lexus UK Media Site includes detailed UX specifications, some absent from the earlier U.S. market specs (such as turning radius).

Of note, in contrast to the U.S. market's exclusive offering of run-flat tires on 18" wheels, European UXs offer a broader array of tire and wheel options. Here are a couple of passages from the UK news release:

The standard five-spoke 17 x 6.5-inch aluminium alloy aero-ventilating wheels feature Gurney flaps along the spoke edges to reduce wind resistance and increase airflow to cool the disc brakes. The design pulls air from the inside of the wheel, while the airflow on the outer side of the vehicle is regulated to follow the wheels’ surface. The aero wheels are available in a choice of silver metallic and dark grey metallic colours. The UX also offers (non-aero) 18-inch aluminium wheel designs, including exclusive F Sport-specific rims...

Depending on model configuration, tyres and markets, the UX is equipped with a repair kit, run-flat tires or a spare tyre. The new, second generation run-flat tyres are quieter and more comfortable and they allow the vehicle to be driven with a flat tyre at speeds up to 50mph, for up to 99 miles.

To my knowledge, this is the first time I've heard of Gurney flaps being applied to wheels.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
A news release from the Lexus UK Media Site includes detailed UX specifications, some absent from the earlier U.S. market specs (such as turning radius).

Of note, in contrast to the U.S. market's exclusive offering of run-flat tires on 18" wheels, European UXs offer a broader array of tire and wheel options. Here are a couple of passages from the UK news release:

To my knowledge, this is the first time I've heard of Gurney flaps being applied to wheels.

I think a lot of that is market based, ie UK wont get all the options either. I just hope they will offer lower position for the boot lid, so we can use all that space below if there is no spare wheel.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew

Giant Cartoon Robots & Japanese Porches Inspired the Lexus UX Crossover Design
18-09-18-lexus-ux-design-theory.jpg

You read that right.
View the original article post

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
That headline's not quite right, it's more that the designer had them back away from looking like an anime robot :)

I'm gonna take this as validation of my theory that the newest Prius is straight outta manga though.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Is there any hope for me to dreaming about the next generation NX with the original UX concept cues ?