Lexus UX (UX 200, UX 250h, 300e) Megathread

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Nice, it is time for TMC to have a new AWD system with torque vectoring rather than wheel braking. But is is only rear axle right-left torque vectoring, or vectoring each wheel individually

Unfortunately this is a brake-based torque vectoring system a.k.a. eLSD. D here stands for "device" instead of a real differential: it's all open diffs. The info is in the video Toyota posted.

eLSD gets the job done in lots of scenarios as demonstrated by Subaru, their eLSD equipped AWD system is no worse than previous mechanical systems. But Subaru's torque vectoring is available for all four wheels so this is actually still inferior. Just like before this is an intentional decision on Toyota's part to improve fuel efficiency at the cost of offroad capabilities, but they made a step forward nonetheless.

Don't worry, the BoFs will keep using the good old manual lockers.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Unfortunately this is a brake-based torque vectoring system a.k.a. eLSD. D here stands for "device" instead of a real differential: it's all open diffs. The info is in the video Toyota posted.

eLSD gets the job done in lots of scenarios as demonstrated by Subaru, their eLSD equipped AWD system is no worse than previous mechanical systems. But Subaru's torque vectoring is available for all four wheels so this is actually still inferior. Just like before this is an intentional decision on Toyota's part to improve fuel efficiency at the cost of offroad capabilities, but they made a step forward nonetheless.

Don't worry, the BoFs will keep using the good old manual lockers.

It is not just brake based, it has two way clutches on both from and rear driveshafts... so it can actually disconnect the wheel which is obviously way better than just ABS trying to stop it.

If you look at the video, at the end it likely shows CHR vs UX difference, where in CHR (and Rav4), if rear wheel is up, it wont be able to overcome the step.

from the PR:

The new Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system is used in gasoline engine vehicles. By adopting a torque vectoring mechanism, which independently distributes torque to the left and right rear wheels according to driving conditions, the Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system enables the driver to steer the vehicle exactly as intended. It achieves high off-road performance even on the toughest roads. It also incorporates a disconnect mechanism, which features the world's first ratchet-type dog clutches* on both the front and rear wheel shafts. These clutches stop the drive system rotations, which transmit driving force to rear wheels when in 2WD mode, significantly reducing energy loss and improving fuel efficiency.

upload_2018-2-26_18-23-57.png

Reactions
When i first saw the 250h logo , i thought (as i've already wrote) that i am living 2011 all over again. Now i am sure...My time machine works!

Zero innovation for both interior and exterior of the car (i never thought that i would say that for my favourite brand(!)). Even the front reminds me -a lot- of the BMW X1... in a more aggressive design (and X1 is ugly...)

At least they will offer an EV option...
spyshots-2020-bmw-ix3-electric-crossover-is-out-for-mercedes-benz-eqc-blood-123898-7.jpg

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
When i first saw the 250h logo , i thought (as i've already wrote) that i am living 2011 all over again. Now i am sure...My time machine works!

Zero innovation for both interior and exterior of the car (i never thought that i would say that for my favourite brand(!)). Even the front reminds me -a lot- of the BMW X1... in a more aggressive design (and X1 is ugly...)

spyshots-2020-bmw-ix3-electric-crossover-is-out-for-mercedes-benz-eqc-blood-123898-7.jpg

Interior actually looks pretty amazing, while X1 is... nothing special at all.

Maybe you will like some new Chinese SUV EV? They are introducing a lot of outrageous concepts, some of them will have crazy interiors that are all screen. But sure, dont expect a price below €70k

Reactions
Interior actually looks pretty amazing, while X1 is... nothing special at all.

Maybe you will like some new Chinese SUV EV? They are introducing a lot of outrageous concepts, some of them will have crazy interiors that are all screen. But sure, dont expect a price below €70k

I agree BMW X1 is uglier than UX but that does not mean that UX is a good looking car for 2018.

2019-lexus-ux-teaser-4.jpg

This is Jaguar i-Pace interior that is going into production the same year as Lexus UX. Not a concept, nor a chinese "futuristic" interior. This is 2018 Lexus!

1.jpg

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I agree BMW X1 is uglier than UX but that does not mean that UX is a good looking car for 2018.

2019-lexus-ux-teaser-4.jpg

This is Jaguar i-Pace interior that is going into production the same year as Lexus UX. Not a concept, nor a chinese "futuristic" interior. This is 2018 Lexus!

1.jpg

Actually that Lexus interior looks better than Jags, even if Jags price is 2.5x more. You can actually brighten up the image to see more there.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Did we have to wait so long for this? Boring, and I think we see here a F Sport version ?
Even the C-HR looks sexier...

it is F-Sport for sure, it has big lcd inside instead of the combo meters, like in LS. Heck might be same as in LS.

Lets hope shoulder lines stand out a lot more in real life than in this image... looks like they might.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
My first impression is of an NX minus the separate rear quarter side window behind the rear doors. I expected something more radically sculptured, although, as some of you have noted, perhaps Ultra White isn't the best color to bring out the side sculpturing. I do like this particular F Sport grille mesh pattern (click on the photo above to enlarge it and better appreciate this detail).

On a separate note, the Lexus Europe official news release adds a significant detail missing from its U.S. counterpart Mikeavelli linked to a few posts above: the UX's Chief Engineer is none other than Chika Kako, newly-minted Lexus International vice president, the highest-ranked woman in Toyota's corporate hierarchy and chief engineer for Lexus CT's first and second refresh.

Last edited:

BenzCity

Fan
Reactions
Not a fan of the exterior. It looks somehow disproportionate, especially the profile. Rear quarter looks awkward with the wheel arch and the plastic cladding. I definitely prefer the X1 looks-wise.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

Wake me up when BMW develops a proper hybrid system that can do load shifting so the car won't go trash MPG mode when the battery runs out.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Interesting.

A few random thoughts:
  • This is quite a subdued departure from the UX concept, which is shocking considering that the LC/LF-LC, LS/LF-FC and NX/LF-NX were all much truer to their concepts. At the same time, I've been looking for Lexus designs to mature a bit and this seems toned down and more mainstream... I'm just not sure if it's in a good way.
  • Exterior is probably my least favorite recent Lexus debut. I think part of the challenge is that so many of Lexus signature design cues - spindle grille, aggressive side sculpting, tripe LEDs with LED check mark DRL - are probably hard to integrate on a car that's only slightly larger than a kitchen table. However, the front end looks sort of flat but disproportionate - but that might just be the angle. Even if you pause the video at 0:09, the front end just looks... not elegant? which is a let down following up on LS and LC. I'm ready to see a smaller, tighter, neater spindle and this is not it. The huge spindle flanked by two huge black vertical slits on either side looks sort of fish or insect-esque, to me. There needs to be more "body" and less openings, IMO.
  • I am curious if the front grille mesh will be different for the non F-Sport version. I hope so. The standard LS mesh grille adds a lot of dimension to the front of the car that the F Sport grille takes away - too flat and generic looking, IMO.
  • I think the interior looks quite nice. The layout is rather basic, but from the photos, everything looks thoughtfully designed and well executed.
  • It's shocking to me that what is Lexus' most entry-level product will have the same steering wheel as the LS 500. At the launch of the LS, I wished it had a more distinct steering wheel (with more wood), something like the refreshed 4LS that had exposed wood all along the bottom portion. I don't like the LS's full leather rim with wood inlays, and the steering wheel in this car - which will cost about 1/3 as much - is basically the same one.
  • Regardless of what any of us say or think, they're about to sell so many of these it'll be stupid. Probably instantly Lexus third best selling model behind RX and NX.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
To me, the UX looks great both exterior and interior. The front borrows some cues from NX, RX and the facelifted IS. In fact it looks like a raised IS or a lowered NX. Upon a closer look at the front, I like the treatment of the new headlights - they integrate the L- shaped DRL back into the same housing. This is a welcome change particularly if you do hand wash with the car. I always need to use a air blower to blow out the remaining water droplets from the DRL of our IS and NX.

And because of the lack of distinct L- shaped DRL, they can conceal the headlamp washers normally in a lid flushed with the bumper.

The interior looks seamless and layout is logical. Looks like a good quality interior in this price range. The revised shift knob seems to look great from the blurred picture.

One thing that is puzzling to me. There are two versions of the front fenders. One has smoother and the other one has a squared shaped besides the headlight. Maybe for different markets?

Last edited:

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
lol. Well looks like a very good update for CT. If you look at it that way then you wont have any complaints. I still want to see the car from the rear. Lexus knows there is nothing special in the front. Also i think the DRL is what was used on the refreshed CT. So, that could be a hint that this is replacing the CT.