Lexus UX (UX 200, UX 250h, 300e) Megathread

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Automotive News' Asia Editor Hans Greimel chatted with Lexus UX chief engineer Chika Kako and published some interesting insights:

8LEXUSUX-MAIN.JPG_0.jpg

December 17, 2018
Tiny Lexus UX loaded with new technologies and styling
HANS GREIMEL

KAWASAKI, Japan — The diminutive Lexus UX crossover, the brand's first stab at the subcompact utility segment, lands in the U.S. this month loaded with Lexus firsts.

It is the first Lexus to ride on the new GA-C platform, a Lexus-tweaked derivative of the Toyota New Global Architecture underpinning the Toyota Prius hybrid and Toyota C-HR crossover. The architecture brings crisp handling and a lower center of gravity. But Lexus engineers took it a step further, making the UX lighter than the C-HR and giving it a stiffer body.

It may look like a crossover, but it drives like a hatchback, chief engineer Chika Kako said during a test drive here outside Tokyo last week.

The UX is also the first vehicle to use Toyota Motor Corp.'s fourth-generation hybrid system. The latest iteration of Toyota's hallmark gasoline-electric drivetrain gets reworked to emphasize power and performance rather than just pure fuel economy.

The improvements come mostly through software tweaks, said Kako, who is also executive vice president of Lexus International and a managing officer at the parent company. "Previously, conventional engine variants had been more popular than hybrids," she said. "But this time, because of the power, they will enjoy a new feeling. This is really an evolution."

Another UX first is the use of tiny lights in the air-conditioning vent adjustment knobs. They aren't connected to the rest of the car vehicle by any wires, but they light up thanks to electromagnetic resonance, a technology that can transfer energy over the air, between objects.

Other new features coming in the UX:
  • LC inspiration: The UX is the brand's entry-level offering, but it shares features with the top-shelf LC. It gets the same pointy side mirrors, similar center-console switches and the same knifelike interior door handles.
  • Tight turning radius: With a best-in-segment 17.1-foot turning radius, the Lexus UX lets a driver make a U-turn in a standard driveway or a regulation squash court.
  • New audio controls: Lexus tries a fresh layout, with the dials and knobs on the center-console box. The volume dial is worked back and forth with a finger while your hand sits on a palm rest.
  • Paper-inspired trim: The UX uses a new interior surface material inspired by traditional Japanese washi paper. Interwoven with a fine fiber pattern, it imbues the dash and instrument panel with a unique look that is both silky and leathery to the touch.
  • Rear winglets: The two winglets sticking up like rabbit ears on both sides of the rear are impossible to miss. Lexus calls them Aero Stabilizing Blade Lights because they improve aerodynamics and house the taillights for a one-of-a-kind nighttime signature. Early designer sketches of the winglets resembled wild anime robot antennae, Kako said. So she wielded her veto rights as chief engineer to make them just a bit more conventional.

https://www.autonews.com/design/tiny-lexus-ux-loaded-new-technologies-and-styling

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
While we weren't allowed to take the FWD Prius over the hill, we had the chance to take it around the rest of the track a number of times. With a little bit of effort, we could get the Prius to understeer a smidge on the loose surfaces. With enough gusto, we could overcome the nannies and get it to plow more aggressively while cornering through the snow, though it resisted the urge better than we had expected.

dims
dims

In the AWD-e, we headed for the snow hill first. We stopped completely on the icy incline. After a moment, we put our foot into the throttle. The Prius paused a half beat, then slowly pulled up and away. It built speed slowly with smoothness and linearity as it climbed, and kept its nose pointed straight as it crested the small but steep hill. We repeated this exercise multiple times that day, and each time was the same: steady, smooth and undramatic.

We flogged the poor little Prius harder with every lap of the course. Each uneventful pass through the snow slalom had us taking it a little faster through the slippery curves. On many of the laps, a brave man waited on the outside of a curve with a snowblower to replace the white stuff we displaced as we passed. We could hear the quiet, muffled clicking as the stability control worked its magic, but weren't able to push the Prius AWD-e into understeer — the higher cornering speeds it allowed over the standard model meant crossing that threshold could've potentially meant a bad day for snowblower guy. Or perhaps not at all, depending on how well the car could recover. We weren't willing to find out; we'll save that test for an empty parking lot.

dims

And that's was when the Prius AWD-e really began to make more sense to us, despite our affinity for snow tires. With all-wheel drive, the car mostly felt the same as any other Prius. It wasn't adding any huge, tangible change in driving behavior. What it does is subtle and demonstrates itself as a lack of the negatives you'd otherwise notice: slip, instability, hesitation, understeer. That adds up to confidence. And it's confidence you can appreciate without having to sacrifice much in fuel economy.

The majority of drivers never make the switch to snow tires in the winter, whether because of its added cost, a matter of storage space or an issue of fuel economy. Many of them would rather just have all-wheel drive. For them, there's now a Prius option.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/12/2019-toyota-prius-awd-e-review-first-drive/

It is same e-four as in UX250h... as we can see, it does help a lot on snow/ice... that FWD Prius (or UX) would not be able to go up icy incline without e-four.

I really dont understand all this references to winter tires, you are supposed to put them on AWD vehicles too! What is wrong with these people? AWD does not help you when you brake and even when you are cornering unless it is plowing through snow and you are losing traction.

It is always crucial to have winter tires at temperatures under 7c/55 F, at least for us schooled by German papers with billion tests run in past 50 years how much longer summer tire stopping distance is on snowy/icy road.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I really dont understand all this references to winter tires, you are supposed to put them on AWD vehicles too! What is wrong with these people? AWD does not help you when you brake and even when you are cornering unless it is plowing through snow and you are losing traction.

It is always crucial to have winter tires at temperatures under 7c/55 F, at least for us schooled by German papers with billion tests run in past 50 years how much longer summer tire stopping distance is on snowy/icy road.

Very true. The media needs to teach people that it's not moving that's the problem in snow, it's stopping.

Sadman

Fan
Reactions
Here's the UX test driven on track.

The review is in Spanish and it's an European spec pre series UX.

@ 5:37 minutes you can see a 0-60 launch if you're interested.

I have to say, that electric blue color on the F-Sport looks very good. I'm ok with the Atomic Silver (Sonic Titanium here) I chose for mine too.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Very true. The media needs to teach people that it's not moving that's the problem in snow, it's stopping.
Here's the UX test driven on track.

The review is in Spanish and it's an European spec pre series UX.

@ 5:37 minutes you can see a 0-60 launch if you're interested.

I have to say, that electric blue color on the F-Sport looks very good. I'm ok with the Atomic Silver (Sonic Titanium here) I chose for mine too.

i did not understand part about suitcases, did they remove bottom cover or did Lexus modify it as they said? And what did they say about UX in general?

Sadman

Fan
Reactions
i did not understand part about suitcases, did they remove bottom cover or did Lexus modify it as they said? And what did they say about UX in general?
They say that the car handles very well and also brakes aggressively, the acceleration is good and the engine is reactive so basically it exceeded their expectations.

The FWD models have less traction (not too noticeable) then the AWD model and this is noticeable because the traction control works more, but this is something you'd experience mostly on track so in real world driving - if you drive normally - this should have way less impact.

Apart from traction and power delivery they aren't saying anything about the differences in the driving feel between the AVS equipped F-Sport model and the other ones, however judging by the images alone I'm under the impression that the car is very flat and there is basically little to no body roll.

I had the fake noise generator back in the IS 300h but I used it like 10 times because to me it was pointless (it even generated an idle engine noise when the car was stopped in EV mode!) but I'm trying to understand if this new generation of the system sounds better or if it's the same. Still pointless IMHO if you have a car that silent and without real gears.

The cargo space test has been done using the FWD model which has a "taller" boot space by not having the rear electric engine, and for what I'm seeing in the video the car appears to have the bottom cover removed so they have extra space.

The guy also says that since it's a pre series model, Lexus will probably increase the final capacity but the only way to know this is to look at the 250h FWD Japanese final production models and see for ourselves the definitive space instead of speculating.

I watched the video using the auto generated subtitles, translated into English, so I probably missed something. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rockville

Fan
Reactions
The conventionally powered UX has arrived here in the US. This model comes in standard trim which looks very nice but the F Sport really ups the volume. Our first one is an Ultra White/ Black interior F Sport and it looks boss. The UX is FWD only in the 4 cylinder model and has a straight up first gear with a continuously variable transmission.

The hybrid version will arrive in January just in time for some weather. It comes in AWD using the tried and true gas/electric front and electric only rear wheel powertrain. In most models the hybrid versions decrease in power output but the UX gains HP so it is not sluggish. The hybrid UX gets to 60 a half second quicker than the NX hybrid does.

In the Spanish Video you could see how the UX enjoyed the tight turns with its smallest in class turning circle it should be easy to maneuver in tight confines. All of the F Sport colors are high energy. Cadmium Orange, Redline and Ultrasonic Blue Mica are head turners.

We will sell all that we get before the end of the year but next December we will really reap the benefit of this new crossover
and see how much market share it has carved out in the US. December to Remember indeed.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The conventionally powered UX has arrived here in the US. This model comes in standard trim which looks very nice but the F Sport really ups the volume. Our first one is an Ultra White/ Black interior F Sport and it looks boss. The UX is FWD only in the 4 cylinder model and has a straight up first gear with a continuously variable transmission.

The hybrid version will arrive in January just in time for some weather. It comes in AWD using the tried and true gas/electric front and electric only rear wheel powertrain. In most models the hybrid versions decrease in power output but the UX gains HP so it is not sluggish. The hybrid UX gets to 60 a half second quicker than the NX hybrid does.

In the Spanish Video you could see how the UX enjoyed the tight turns with its smallest in class turning circle it should be easy to maneuver in tight confines. All of the F Sport colors are high energy. Cadmium Orange, Redline and Ultrasonic Blue Mica are head turners.

We will sell all that we get before the end of the year but next December we will really reap the benefit of this new crossover
and see how much market share it has carved out in the US. December to Remember indeed.

seems like they are planning to import only 18k per year to the US...

Rockville

Fan
Reactions
spwolf, nice to talk to you after many years. The NX had an initial build order for 20,000. Three months later they doubled it to 40,000. Only the market will reach its equilibrium. Europe was Diesel dominate for the last 30 years and now hybrids and electrics are becoming popular and so much cleaner than “clean diesels” We actually had a hard time getting NX hybrids because they were ordered for Europe. We still don’t get the IS hybrid. There is talk of a UX plug in for European consumption.

I receive a lot of product information early on but not production data. Because of CarPlay we are getting multimedia cars without factory navigation at first. This gives the Apple iPhone owner a choice of Waze, Apple Nav and Google maps. I still prefer to have factory navigation as I’m a Samsung Galaxy 9 holdout.

When the NX arrived sales were brisk and it overtook the ES as the second most popular Lexus. It also wreaked damage on the BMW X3. Maybe the X1 should be nervous if history were to repeat itself. It should appeal to a wide group of prospective buyers from millennials to boomers. Hybrids and electrics will takeover eventually. I am an old gearhead but I welcome the paradigm shift. My oldest son has a Tesla 3 and my younger son has the new Prius. My CT200h will come out of lease in the Spring and the UX hybrid in F Sport guise is winning me over.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
spwolf, nice to talk to you after many years. The NX had an initial build order for 20,000. Three months later they doubled it to 40,000. Only the market will reach its equilibrium. Europe was Diesel dominate for the last 30 years and now hybrids and electrics are becoming popular and so much cleaner than “clean diesels” We actually had a hard time getting NX hybrids because they were ordered for Europe. We still don’t get the IS hybrid. There is talk of a UX plug in for European consumption.

Hey, yeah I noticed you posting here... welcome old buddy!

As with NX, i very much doubt they will have enough capacity for UX in the first year... NX still has capacity constraints (waiting list in Japan 2 months ago), which is pretty crazy. If they planned 18k per year, they will likely not get more for at least first full year.

As to the hybrids, TMC is still only company really pushing it in Europe... all the Europeans are doing is PR articles, reality is that in Germany, big 3 are running ads telling customers that they will buy their car back within x years, if their city forbids diesels with Euro6d certification.

All they have is diesels.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

I think the UX excels with a dark color -- the wheel arches feel overdone in Atomic Silver and Ultra White. USB was a clear winner, as was Black.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I honestly had 0 interest in this vehicle until recently. I spent some time in Dominica with my mom who is going to spend time there and needs a vehicle and wants to stay with Lexus. We were leaning toward a LX because it seats 8, is a 4x4 etc but she likes smaller cars. After spending a week there walking downtown everyday there are traffic jams and not much parking. If there is, a small car makes a ton of sense here. Suddenly the UX seems like a possible winner. In the Carribean the streets remain the same size but vehicles keep getting bigger. This might make sense for her.

Going to now ask to check it out.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I honestly had 0 interest in this vehicle until recently. I spent some time in Dominica with my mom who is going to spend time there and needs a vehicle and wants to stay with Lexus. We were leaning toward a LX because it seats 8, is a 4x4 etc but she likes smaller cars. After spending a week there walking downtown everyday there are traffic jams and not much parking. If there is, a small car makes a ton of sense here. Suddenly the UX seems like a possible winner. In the Carribean the streets remain the same size but vehicles keep getting bigger. This might make sense for her.

Going to now ask to check it out.

if sizes are anything like Europe, LX would be way unwieldy and really troublesome.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
And yet everyone drives a BMW X5/Porsche Cayenne.

dunno, I drove LC200 for a while and it is very unwieldy in even normal sized city streets in Europe, not Italian ones... X5 seems smaller overall, even though measurements dont show it. It might depend where you actually park, underground and shopping centers are fine in whatever.

Yeah but it seats 8, will run over anything (the country is very hilly) and last forever. It will probably be the other vehicle there.

That is true... and I prefer it much over LC200, it is simply a lot more luxurious for not that much more money, at least in the USA.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
UX pre-order goes up in China with the following line-up:

UX200 F-Sport ¥293,000
UX260h Base ¥269,900
UX260h Premium ¥290,000
UX260h Luxury ¥373,000
UX260h F-Sport ¥310,000
UX260h F-Sport E-Four ¥335,000

For reference the CT200h starts at ¥215,000 and tops at ¥280,000 for the F-Sport. The NX200 starts at ¥298,000. Again the hybrid uses the ChDM-exclusive 260 designation to avoid using the pejorative 250 designation.

The pricing is extremely competitive to the BMW X1 (starts at ¥283,000, 1.5T Inline-3), Audi Q3 (¥265,600, 1.4T Inline-4), Mercedes-Benz GLA (¥269,800, 1.6T Inline-4). The UX will offer more features, power, much better fuel economy, and the 'import quality' people all crave these days. Caddy doesn't have a subcompact crossover and Volvo has not introduced the base-trim XC40 yet (which was a major mistake on their part). At the higher end the 260h does run into the much more powerful 2.0T offerings from BBA but fuel economy is king here not horsepower.

This is easily going to be another money printer for Lexus China.
In particular it will attract tons of female buyers who are the biggest target demographic for subcompact crossovers. It is the perfect car for so many buyers that it's hard to imagine it selling fewer than the NX.

It was previously speculated that China will be the UX200's biggest market, but just like everywhere else, Lexus is intentionally pricing the 250h to be a much better value than the 200. It seems that either Lexus is not taking the UX200 too seriously or that they don't want to introduce lower-priced trims to affect CT sales. The UX could be the start of the push towards a hybrid-biased lineup by Lexus.

Last edited:

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Hybrid is good. I do not now if americans care about environment but europeans and Japanese care. UX250H in Japan covers 80% of UX sales. Japanese value Hybrid since almost half of all cars sold are hybrids. In Europe Lexus and Toyota mean environmetaly friendly cars. Toyota Hybrid is very good alternative for EVs

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
UX pre-order goes up in China with the following line-up:

UX200 F-Sport ¥293,000
UX260h Base ¥269,900
UX260h Premium ¥290,000
UX260h Luxury ¥373,000
UX260h F-Sport ¥310,000
UX260h F-Sport E-Four ¥335,000

For reference the CT200h starts at ¥215,000 and tops at ¥280,000 for the F-Sport. The NX200 starts at ¥298,000. Again the hybrid uses the ChDM-exclusive 260 designation to avoid using the pejorative 250 designation.

The pricing is extremely competitive to the BMW X1 (starts at ¥283,000, 1.5T Inline-3), Audi Q3 (¥265,600, 1.4T Inline-4), Mercedes-Benz GLA (¥269,800, 1.6T Inline-4). The UX will offer more features, power, much better fuel economy, and the 'import quality' people all crave these days. Caddy doesn't have a subcompact crossover and Volvo has not introduced the base-trim XC40 yet (which was a major mistake on their part). At the higher end the 260h does run into the much more powerful 2.0T offerings from BBA but fuel economy is king here not horsepower.

This is easily going to be another money printer for Lexus China.
In particular it will attract tons of female buyers who are the biggest target demographic for subcompact crossovers. It is the perfect car for so many buyers that it's hard to imagine it selling fewer than the NX.

It was previously speculated that China will be the UX200's biggest market, but just like everywhere else, Lexus is intentionally pricing the 250h to be a much better value than the 200. It seems that either Lexus is not taking the UX200 too seriously or that they don't want to introduce lower-priced trims to affect CT sales. The UX could be the start of the push towards a hybrid-biased lineup by Lexus.

IS UX200 F-Sport AWD?

As to the why only high end UX200, I would guess they are trying to keep average pricing up... they will likely introduce cheaper UX200 versions if they need to in 2-3 years from now.