Lexus UX Outselling Entire Car Lineup in Canada

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Lexus UX Outselling Entire Car Lineup in Canada

19-03-18-lexus-ux-canada.jpg

Already third bestselling Lexus in the country.
View the original article post

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Either all car buyer are poor -- what I doubt knowing the price of the UX -- or they have lost their mind -- which is more likely.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
The news is quite surprising to me. But it makes sense when you consider the fact that UX has Apple CarPlay AND it is a crossover/subcompact SUV where there is a good demand in Canada. On the other hand, it also reveals how the lack of Apple Car Play and/or Android Auto has affected the sale of the rest of the Lexus lineup.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The news is quite surprising to me. But it makes sense when you consider the fact that UX has Apple CarPlay AND it is a crossover/subcompact SUV where there is a good demand in Canada. On the other hand, it also reveals how the lack of Apple Car Play and/or Android Auto has affected the sale of the rest of the Lexus lineup.

how in the world are you connecting that to CarPlay? It is small CUV, that is why it sells... ES has CarPlay and sells half the numbers that UX does.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
the base hybrid model comes with heated/ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, auto dimming rearview mirror, blind spot monitoring, all for $39k CAD. Hopefully all these features will be standard on new Lexus models going forward.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Either all car buyer are poor -- what I doubt knowing the price of the UX -- or they have lost their mind -- which is more likely.

CUVs and SUV's are still the fastest growing markets. If you liked the CT this is perfect for people who want something raised and obviously with new style and tech.

Thing is I don't think its moving much in the USA....

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
how in the world are you connecting that to CarPlay? It is small CUV, that is why it sells... ES has CarPlay and sells half the numbers that UX does.
Yes, in my original post, I related the success to the combination of CarPlay AND it is a crosslover/small SUV. I should have said it CUV to make it clear. With just CarPlay like the one in ES, it won't sell as good because of the taste/trend in the current market. I bet NX will sell even better if it is equipped with CarPlay/Android Auto.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
That's great for the UX in Canada! Maybe Lexus should bring back the 2019 CT or 2CT to North America as well. I believe the UX is off to a slow start here in the U.S. Give it time and hopefully it picks up but there is fierce competition from the GLA/QX30, X1, Q3, XC40, etc. I believe the Cadillac CT4 completes with the NX, MKC, X3, GLC, Q5, QX50 etc...

Last edited:

S10

Reactions
No surprise here, it is without doubt that the UX will become the best selling Lexus ever.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
That's great for the UX in Canada! Maybe Lexus should bring back the 2019 CT or 2CT to North America as well.

I would love to see an updated (maybe plug-in hybrid?) CT, but it would be a poor seller in North America against the UX. I would say for 95% of buyers the UX is a CT with everything fixed - more room, more power, more style (it’s a crossover) and possible AWD. It should be interesting to see what happens in Europe where both are on sale.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
CT is too tight. I'm just 168 cm and my lady friend is a little shorter than me and it's hard to be sitting behind her.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Yes, in my original post, I related the success to the combination of CarPlay AND it is a crosslover/small SUV. I should have said it CUV to make it clear. With just CarPlay like the one in ES, it won't sell as good because of the taste/trend in the current market. I bet NX will sell even better if it is equipped with CarPlay/Android Auto.

i doubt you will see any difference in NX or RX sales with CarPlay or without, like you did not see any differences in other vehicles they added it to. But sure, as the time goes, it is one of the mandatory features like what bluetooth was 10+ years ago.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I would love to see an updated (maybe plug-in hybrid?) CT, but it would be a poor seller in North America against the UX. I would say for 95% of buyers the UX is a CT with everything fixed - more room, more power, more style (it’s a crossover) and possible AWD. It should be interesting to see what happens in Europe where both are on sale.

In Europe, there will be a price difference between the two, just like there is between 1 and X1 or A3 and Q3, etc.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

If we're talking about Canada, the ES is a FWD car in country dominated by AWD luxury. The car has never performed all that well here due to the fact.

No surprise here, it is without doubt that the UX will become the best selling Lexus ever.

Even if it explodes in popularity, there's no way the UX ever overcomes the two-decade lead of the RX.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
UX sales so far in U.S.:

2018 - 453
2019 - 3,925 YTD - Jan thru Mar, my projection 15,000 (I believe Lexus projected sales of UX is 17,000)
Total = 4,378

GLA sales since inception in U.S:

2014 - 6,884
2015 - 25,593
2016 - 24,545
2017 - 24,104
2018 - 24,136
2019 - 4,721 YTD - Jan thru Mar
Total = 109,983

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
UX sales so far in U.S.:

2018 - 453
2019 - 3,925 YTD - Jan thru Mar, my projection 15,000 (I believe Lexus projected sales of UX is 17,000)
Total = 4,378

GLA sales since inception in U.S:

2014 - 6,884
2015 - 25,593
2016 - 24,545
2017 - 24,104
2018 - 24,136
2019 - 4,721 YTD - Jan thru Mar
Total = 109,983

As long as there is a supply, UX will certainly go over 17k... Right now there are very little UX250h's available and a lot of UX200.

Now how many can they get, i have no idea because UX is going to be a wanted car worldwide, just like the CHR, which is still growing everywhere, including in the USA, in its 3rd year on the market. I know for CHR, they simply could not get more and for UX now European sales start, so there wont be any excess production capacity.