NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I said wild for a reason.

The dang thing looks like a soccer mom bus, CUV-based rather then some utilitarian, "weekend overlander/camper", "taking it to the G class fight" hot takes I have been hearing about since forever. I still have my reservations, but if this is it I guess the only thing it confirms from the endless rumors is that the GX is trying to appeal to more who might have overlooked it for being to harsh of a vehicle for the nordstorm parking lot.

But if carmaker is correct, then it explains the other two EV CUVs that had no names from Toyota and Lexus, which may preview what the phev version of the GH and TX. And please take this with a truckload of doubt.

20211214-bev-12-1639491073.jpg

20211214-bev-16-1639491079.jpg

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
100 hundo this is the GX.
-confirmed
BOF? So it is the new Prado too?

I now have my doubt and think my "theory" on BOF consolidation might be true, but I don't know which business decisions TMC made.

This GX "leak" looks more like a Lexus version for the Fortuner (Hilux SUV version) rather than a Lexus version of the Prado.

The-new-Fortuner-scaled.jpg

So what does it tell about the Prado and the the Fortuner? Both are based on the Hilux. So will the Fortuner replace the Prado worldwide, buy going upscale as it already did with the second generation compared to the first generation? Prado having had more generations than the Fortuner, I would guess the Fortuner name will be dropped. But then the comes the question of the 4Runner. Before becoming a NA market focused SUV, the 4Runner was the SUV version of the Hilux, that in the NA market also turned in a more market focused Tacoma. The GX not being a Prado but a Fortuner would settle the tailgate debate, it is liftgate instead of swinggate.

What remains to be seen is if the Tacoma will be different than the Hilux, or the Hilux becomes the Tacoma, and if the 4Runner is different from the Fortuner/Prado/GX.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^This makes zero sense. The Prado and Fortuner are completely different segments of products. The former is basically a smaller LC with lower GVM, and is thus engineered to the same QDR requirements as the LC. Naturally this makes it the basis for the GX. The Fortuner is a low cost 3-row SUV designed for emerging markets with poor infrastructure. It is shorter and narrower than LCP to improve maneuverability. As infrastructure improves in a certain market the Fortuner will be gradually replaced by the Highlander. It simply doesn't have the capability basis for the GX.

The Hilux and Tacoma will not completely merge into one product because the Hilux needs to be more utilitarian and thus higher GVM. Because of this it will likely keep leaf springs in the rear while the Tacoma will almost certainly switch to coil springs. What I think is there will be two Hilux variants: a "utility/commercial" with higher GVM in single cab-chassis/long bed or extended cab-long bed configurations, and "offroad" which is identical to USDM Tacoma.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think some people are getting confused about TX vs. GX…

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I think some people are getting confused about TX vs. GX…
The "TX/GX leak" shows horizontal taillights, Prado traditionally has vertical taillights. It also shows a sloping rear window, traditionally it had a vertical window with barn doors/swing door.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
GX was shown at the last dealer meeting and… well… this isn’t it.
Did you see it? It is like the LX in terms of evolution, or drastically different?

It looks like TMC lineup is only growing (with the exception GS/Crown/Mark X).

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
We shall see how this plays out. Im thinking the big globe shaped SUVS look more in line with the 3 row twins.

One thing is for sure, @CRSKTN mentioned about how Lexus is going all in on the Supercar, but I think they are going batshit insane with new products in the Lexus lineup.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
This is more than likely the TX. It does look small, but it was a mule for the RZ. The styling is what I think is what the TX is. It does look similar to the suv that you guys are talking about. My money is on the TX since that suv doesn't have a BOF look to it. The Prado is said to debut next year, but we have nothing on when the GH/TX will debut.
1658081282362.png
1658081506754.png
Short hood (more transverse looking) so TX is my bet

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Wow really? How come I'm now hearing about this and no media has reported on it? If you've seen it how'd it look?
Caz the media is too busy reporting clickbait in the form of MY23 is the GX from their prized incognito sources and dealer principles......

They are also reporting folks should get their pre-orders in for the 6th gen 4R thats launching as MY23.

/s to be make sure this isnt taken seriously

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Levi , i thought the same about consolidation but then , it will impact badly in toyota if it happened
Hi-Lux / Fortuner and Innova are made especially for Asia , Africa & Europe in mind

we can say the Fortuner is the slim body low budget Prado
they made them more simple in comparison to Tacoma and it's 4Runner based and also GX and Prado

so GX is the upscale wide body model
4Runner is the NA offroad ready with better approach and departure angle wide body
Prado is the intentional GX and 4Runner as the LCj300 is the international LX600 & Seqouia
Fortuner is the regular non wide simple mechanic body

Reactions
Anyone have any insight on the pricing for the GX? Given the TX is going to slot into the line up, are they going to keep a hierarchical price structure or will the GX and TX have some overlap or even be side by side given they will serve different types of buyers? I think the GX starts at 57 in the US and 72 in Canada - Sequoia starts at 58 in the US and 75 in Canada, which is a larger vehicle akin to the LX. I wonder where they will try to slot the new GX.