Deusex

Follower
Reactions
OK... So my dealer called me today, my GX is on the way to the dealership and should be there end of April beginning May. Even game me the vehicle VIN # with all the addons.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
For sure, that was definitely a stretch. Toyota paid BMW to test the GR Supra on the roads with other BMW models (as well as Minis and Rolls Royces) and for BMW to send data back to Japan. Toyota would then ask BMW to make changes to the car while they were cold and stress testing the cars. So there was definitely some communication happening.
In an older video one of the bmw engineers joked that b58 was more toyota than bmw cause it was inspired by the 2jz and did away with many design elements of it's predecessors

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
But that engine still sucks just look at all the cars that have replaced the v6 with this engine not counting hybrid versions, it's slower, less engaging, not any more fuel efficient and lacks smoothness
We've only seen the T24 in crossovers; we haven't seen a performance tune mated to a transmission with a performance tune. The FF versions of the 2GR ride the coattails of the FR versions in the Lexus sedans, IMO.

My employer's work fleet has Highlanders with both the 2GR and the T24. One is like a '20 model and the other is a '23 so they are the same generation. They drive almost exactly the same. The T24 gets better gas mileage on the highway (especially road trips where it is out of boost) but they are more or less a wash around town. The T24 meets stricter emissions requirements. It has been tuned to drive as little like a turbo as possible. IMO, that was intentional. The buyer of a Highlander wants the vehicle to move smoothly (so no turbo push), be powerful enough when it needs to be, and be efficient. If you had someone do their commute in both vehicles, half of the people would guess incorrectly which engine they have. IMO, too many people are used hot takes from Youtube "reviewers" -- that don't know the difference between turbo lag and transmission shift lag -- as gospel rather than driving the actual vehicles. I've driven both.

IMO, the T24's problem is that it is all around fine... while the A24 hybrid is exceptional in some ways. It is loud and harsh when accelerating hard, but it's equally serene when driving through the school dropoff line. Guess which I do more of? The fuel efficiency of the A25 hybrid is extraordinary compared to the 2GR and T24 in day to day use. The T24 and 2GR are a little more pleasing from a "driver" perspective on aggregate, IMO, but it's a mommy mobile. I just want to get from A to B for as little hassle and cost as possible. Even when the options were 2GR versus A25 hybrid, I would choose the hybrid every day of the week. It is just so much better suited for the job.

Ironically enough, the 2GR-FE with the 6AT in the previous gen Highlander drove better, to me, than the 2GR-FKS than the 8AT in the same body ('14 versus '17). I attribute this completely to the transmission, though. The 8AT was much more aggressive in locking up and the chassis felt less smooth due to it. BUT, the FKS+8AT returned around 10% better gas mileage on road trips. I could only squeeze out 24mpg on the FE+6AT while I could do 26mpg on the FKS+8AT. Just back to back on the road, though, the 6AT was more pleasant to drive.

I also have seat time in the G3 Tacoma and the G4 Tacoma. The T24+8AT is a far far far superior drivetrain. The 8AT and the high torque T24 are really complimentary. Honestly, though, the 8AT in the Tacoma and 4Runner would probably do a world of good with the 1GR and the 2GR. The steps from gear to gear in the 5AT and 6AT are so big that I really notice the shifts and the revs increasing. Combine that with the 1GR and 2GR really being at the limit that I'd want torque and power wise in vehicles of that weight. The 8AT with the smaller steps between gears would nicely cover up those conditions.

Last edited:

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
We've only seen the T24 in crossovers; we haven't seen a performance tune mated to a transmission with a performance tune. The FF versions of the 2GR ride the coattails of the FR versions in the Lexus sedans, IMO.

My employer's work fleet has Highlanders with both the 2GR and the T24. One is like a '20 model and the other is a '23 so they are the same generation. They drive almost exactly the same. The T24 gets better gas mileage on the highway (especially road trips where it is out of boost) but they are more or less a wash around town. The T24 meets stricter emissions requirements. It has been tuned to drive as little like a turbo as possible. IMO, that was intentional. The buyer of a Highlander wants the vehicle to move smoothly (so no turbo push), be powerful enough when it needs to be, and be efficient. If you had someone do their commute in both vehicles, half of the people would guess incorrectly which engine they have. IMO, too many people are used hot takes from Youtube "reviewers" -- that don't know the difference between turbo lag and transmission shift lag -- as gospel rather than driving the actual vehicles. I've driven both.

IMO, the T24's problem is that it is all around fine... while the A24 hybrid is exceptional in some ways. It is loud and harsh when accelerating hard, but it's equally serene when driving through the school dropoff line. Guess which I do more of? The fuel efficiency of the A25 hybrid is extraordinary compared to the 2GR and T24 in day to day use. The T24 and 2GR are a little more pleasing from a "driver" perspective on aggregate, IMO, but it's a mommy mobile. I just want to get from A to B for as little hassle and cost as possible. Even when the options were 2GR versus A25 hybrid, I would choose the hybrid every day of the week. It is just so much better suited for the job.

Ironically enough, the 2GR-FE with the 6AT in the previous gen Highlander drove better, to me, than the 2GR-FKS than the 8AT in the same body ('14 versus '17). I attribute this completely to the transmission, though. The 8AT was much more aggressive in locking up and the chassis felt less smooth due to it. BUT, the FKS+8AT returned around 10% better gas mileage on road trips. I could only squeeze out 24mpg on the FE+6AT while I could do 26mpg on the FKS+8AT. Just back to back on the road, though, the 6AT was more pleasant to drive.

I also have seat time in the G3 Tacoma and the G4 Tacoma. The T24+8AT is a far far far superior drivetrain. The 8AT and the high torque T24 are really complimentary. Honestly, though, the 8AT in the Tacoma and 4Runner would probably do a world of good with the 1GR and the 2GR. The steps from gear to gear in the 5AT and 6AT are so big that I really notice the shifts and the revs increasing. Combine that with the 1GR and 2GR really being at the limit that I'd want torque and power wise in vehicles of that weight. The 8AT with the smaller steps between gears would nicely cover up those conditions.
Yeah, i have experienced 2gr in a crown athlete 14 th gen and that had an 8 speed automatic that thing was smooth throughout the rev range, have yet to experience t24 but the biggest complaint is the t24 isn't as smooth at higher rev range but is great at low and mid rev.