Lexus Trademarks LM 350 & LM 300h Nameplates in USA

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Now I'm really confused! On 12 June 2018, Toyota registered LM 300h and LM 350 trademarks in the United States, presumably for Lexus.

Personally, I like LM better than LQ. But why the lowly 300h and 350 numbers that are hardly befitting a Lexus "L" flagship? As I signed off in my Kaizen Factor story (which also includes the relevant trademark serial numbers), I'm officially stumped, baffled and confused.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Lexus Mirai maybe..:grinning::grinning:

Probably not related to the LF-1

I taught about Le Mans also. but maybe Lexus is going back to model number been equivalent to engine. 3.0l hybrid...

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
giphy.gif

SteVVT-i

Fan
Reactions
TOYOTA just won 24hr Le Mans!!! LM could be the designated name for the Gazoo road car they're coming out with!!!

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
TOYOTA just won 24hr Le Mans!!! LM could be the designated name for the Gazoo road car they're coming out with!!!
Highly doubtful.

Yes, the LM=Le Mans part makes sense. The numbers don't. As noted in a couple of official Toyota/Gazoo news releases and the Gazoo Racing Super Sport Concept thread, the GR Super Sport Concept is powered by a 2.4-liter twin turbo V6 with a racing hybrid system putting out over 1000 hp. That's got to be equivalent to way more than a 300h or 350.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The suggested engine sizes seem too modest for a flagship crossover and too generous for a city car. Something Sienna-esque,perhaps?
Hmmm, that did briefly cross my mind at one point but I never put it into my article. Perhaps the Lexus minivan Asian markets have been clamoring for?

Wouldn't a 300h be underpowered for this, though? A 450h perhaps better suited?

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Hmmm, that did briefly cross my mind at one point but I never put it into my article. Perhaps the Lexus minivan Asian markets have been clamoring for?
Toyota minivans bound for the Asian markets have always been of the thin and tall type, e.g. the Previa and the Alphard, due to the much narrower streets and alleys everywhere in those markets. The fact that the new trademarks were filed in the USA should mean that the LM is more likely tailored to the American market and to be based on the new Sienna, which itself is also long overdue.

Hopefully it will at least fare better than the R-Class.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Luxury minivans are still desirable in Asia and they are ridiculously profitable even in small numbers. 3.5 and 2.5 hybrid are exactly what they have on the Alphard. The 3.5 is WAY too much power for a minivan but they are bought primarily for smoothness.

The fact that it's trademarked in USA doesn't mean anything. A LS500h trademarked in USA doesn't mean the car is not going to be sold in Europe.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
The suggested engine sizes seem too modest for a flagship crossover and too generous for a city car. Something Sienna-esque,perhaps?

Not if it’s a flagship level city car. Maybe this is Lexus’ first BEV vehicle, in which case it’s great that it’s receiving the flagship treatment akin to the first LS and the hypothetical flagship crossover LQ (LF-1).

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Not if it’s a flagship level city car. Maybe this is Lexus’ first BEV vehicle, in which case it’s great that it’s receiving the flagship treatment akin to the first LS and the hypothetical flagship crossover LQ (LF-1).
Be it a city car or a minivan I think Lexus would be seriously risking rendering the letter L in their nomenclature meaningless if they decide to put it in a class no one in the US would associate luxury with. It'll be like Infiniti's Q, which used to mean flagship, but is now utterly meaningless and a waste of a letter. I hope Lexus still has the sanity not to proceed with the abuse of the letter L if it is to really make a minivan or a city car.

At this point I'd rather dream that the letter M stands for mid-ship and is to become Lexus' reincarnation of the MR2.

Last edited:

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
LQ is already a coupe suv.
No, the LQ (or at least the LF-1) is a sporty CUV that still has a flat roof line like the Cayenne, which does not look anything like a "real" coupe SUV, i.e. the X6 and the GLC, where the roof line is entirely arched just like a coupe.