Lexus tops BMW in U.S. registrations; 2015 luxury title in dispute

Discussion in 'Lexus Lounge' started by spwolf, Feb 13, 2016.

1. spwolf
    Lexus tops BMW in U.S. registrations; 2015 luxury title in dispute

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160212/RETAIL01/160219935/0?cciid=internal-anhome-mostright

King is back! Dealers buying vehicles to stuff end of year sales for BMW already happened in 2012:

Black Dynamite and IS-SV like this.
  2. Gecko
    Gecko Staff Member Administrator
    ^I have friends who have worked at BMW and MB dealers, and both have told me about this process of pulling cars in and out of inventory, dealers buying them as "loaners" and then returning them early in the new year to the new car lot, etc.

CIF likes this.
  3. Ruksac
    I used to work at the largest Lexus dealer on the planet and they used to RDR stock units also, usually to a car rental company like Hertz. That was usually just to beat competing dealers who were also vying for the #1 Lexus dealer title. So it's not a practice limited to anyone or any brand. It's a way to report a vehicle as sold to the manufacturer without having to register or title the car. Registrations would be the most accurate way to report sales volume as once it's registered, a title is generated from the MSO.

Dreski, CIF and RAL like this.
  4. krew
    krew Administrator
    krew [​IMG]

View the original article post

mikeavelli likes this.
  5. Bulldog 1
    340,392 units. :waving:
    Those two were mine. May, 2015. :party:
    I can't vouch for the other 340,390. :eyes:

6. Black Dynamite
    BMW spokesman Kenn Sparks said, “Many factors influence registrations, and as a result, registrations often lag sales, especially at the end of the year.”

Translation: "Every day we're hustlin', hustlin', hustlin'!"

There's definitely no shame in BMW's game. They do much more fleet sales than Lexus and Mercedes.
    Both the Germans also do about 25% more incentives than Lexus as well.
    Having more actual customers pays off in the long run.
    BD

mikeavelli likes this.
  7. Born2Drive
    Tens thousand of those European brands have been shipped to China and other 3rd world countries.
    The small companies & individuals have been doing it for more than a decade.
    If anyone have opportunities to be in China, just take a tour at any major seaport. Thousands of US version vehicles for sale there at anytime, mainly European brand SUVs.

I believe that Lexus have been the best selling luxury brand for the last 15 years in USA.
    However, outside USA, a totally different story.

mikeavelli likes this.
  8. krew
    krew Administrator
    Agree. The difference in BMW's totals is 10,764 units -- that's just crazy. Are they just sitting on dealer lots? I can't even.

IS-SV and CIF like this.
  9. IS-SV
    IS-SV Premium Member
    BMW's relentless pursuit of this title is a bit self serving and not especially customer focused IMHO.

But not as embarrassing as VW's (failed) race for highest ww auto sales volume last year.

mikeavelli likes this.
  10. Born2Drive
    Off topic: just notice how close in sales among the VW and BMW/Lexus/Benz in USA.
    So glad those people don't educate me that Golf & Jetta are luxury cars

mikeavelli likes this.
  11. spwolf
    VW doing lots of PR on being #1 is also not new... it happened in 2009 I believe and most of the major agencies reported this until February next year when it was found out that they are not #1.

So same now, they did a lot of PR that they are #1 even if they held the title for 3 months only in the year, since their Chinese sales dropped heavily in June... so by September they were already #2.

mikeavelli and CIF like this.
  12. IS-SV
    IS-SV Premium Member
    ^ Yes, and now VW is facing a PR situation unlike any other in their past.

mikeavelli, CIF and Ruksac like this.
  13. James
    James Founding Member
    As long as Lexus keeps their reliability up I'm happy they are number 1 but I don't want them to ruin reliability for the sales crown.

IS-SV, mikeavelli and Born2Drive like this.
  14. CIF
    CIF Premium Member
    Some companies have no shame.

Ian Schmidt and IS-SV like this.
  15. Joaquin Ruhi
    Joaquin Ruhi Staff Member Moderator
    A new story from Bloomberg sheds more light on the end-of-year manipulative tactics by BMW. Some highlights below:

The article also devotes a paragraph to Lexus' reply of sorts:

Here's a link to the full article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ales-numbers-by-paying-dealers-to-buy-loaners

krew and mikeavelli like this.
  16. IS-SV
    IS-SV Premium Member
    What I tried to say in post #9 but said better by Keller in above article:

“The luxury market is only so big,” Keller said. “Do they think that if they have more BMWs out there that people will want to buy them even more? There are consequences for this.”

mikeavelli and CIF like this.
  17. CIF
    CIF Premium Member
    Great article, thank you! This only further reinforces the facts of BMW's shady tactics to desperately achieve that "#1" spot. I'm glad at least Lexus isn't so desperate or so focused on such a meaningless achievement.

On a related note, this is added to my list of reasons why I strongly dislike the dealer system in terms of the entire sales process. Dealers are directly facilitating and complying with BMW's shady tactics here. Let's say hypothetically that dealers did not exist, and brands were forced to sell direct to customers. Then BMW's tactics in this case would be much harder to implement, if not impossible. It would also put much more accountability and responsibility directly on BMW itself, without the existence of the "middle man", the dealership.

mikeavelli, IS-SV and Born2Drive like this.
  18. Black Dynamite
    In other words, they're not greedy, they're just needy!
    They needed to put $5k on every hood, plus run a loaner hustle program to keep the sales crown for one more year. Oh, the desperation!

Enjoy it, Ladies! You won't be seeing that again for LONG time!
    BD

mikeavelli likes this.
  19. mikeavelli
    mikeavelli Staff Member Moderator
    I have to say I am impressed that the press is really covering this. A ethical BMW win shows to the world that people consider them to have a superior product. This unethical crap means they just want the sales crown by any means and it has nothing to do with the vehicle.

RAL, Born2Drive, IS-SV and 1 other person like this.
  20. Bulldog 1
    Is it a German thing?!?