isanatori

Follower
Reactions
https://boatingindustry.com/news/2018/07/24/marquis-larson-will-introduce-new-marquis-line-in-2019/

“With our experience building ultra modern, ultra high quality boats for both Lexus and VanDutch, I feel we are in a unique position to offer a new Marquis brand that will become a significant player in this growing market,”

According to Rob Parmentier, President & CEO of the Marquis-Larson Boat Group, Marquis Yachts will discontinue its current line of semi-custom cruising boats and transition to an entirely new line for 2019.

The new Marquis is expected to debut at the 2019 Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show (based in Florida) at an invitation only unveiling prior to the show.

The Show opens on Wednesday November 6, 2019.

I guess Lexus will have to ditch the absolutely gorgeous INTERSECT cultural theme from the boutique's space series, that have defined the signature of the brand.

Although, I find the interior and exterior styling of the LY650 simple and cool, it is not luxurious.

I apologize for my bitter criticism, but I believe Lexus can do a lot better than that, by a mile!

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The new Marquis is expected to debut at the 2019 Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show (based in Florida) at an invitation only unveiling prior to the show.

I wonder if the Lexus LY 650 will make an appearance there as well. Or if it'll be at the Miami Boat Show that will take place from Thursday 14 through Monday 18 February 2019. Both are local to me. I'd love to check it out if it makes an appearance.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Ok. Forget Mitsubishi. I an not good at writing down my thoughts in a clear way. I apologize for the inconvenience and confusion.

Toyota could had bought a megayacht large enough to apply their MIRAI technology, carry an FCEV car, capable of refueling the FCEV, and helicopter landing. Then begin tests, before commercialization. But the final product should be a true Lexus.

Toyota should be recognized as capable of building zero emission mega-yachts.

How about just doing a luxury Yacht that people can purchase and use in North America? FCEV yacht to me would just a waste of resources and press thing, nobody would buy it... where would you service it?

You have to be able to use that Yacht and service it.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Although, I find the interior and exterior styling of the LY650 simple and cool, it is not luxurious

I disagree. Minimalism is very in right now, and the boat's roofline and interior treatments and finishes do remind me of my LS500. I'm actually glad they didn't try to force Lexus styling cues where they wouldn't work.

If I ever become unexpectedly rich I want one with... let's see, 1800 HP / 415 = exactly 4 V35As :)

isanatori

Follower
Reactions
I wonder if the Lexus LY 650 will make an appearance there as well. Or if it'll be at the Miami Boat Show that will take place from Thursday 14 through Monday 18 February 2019. Both are local to me. I'd love to check it out if it makes an appearance.
If it is convenient for the construction company, then I don't see why not! The earlier, the better. :thumbsup:

isanatori

Follower
Reactions
How about just doing a luxury Yacht that people can purchase and use in North America? FCEV yacht to me would just a waste of resources and press thing, nobody would buy it... where would you service it?

You have to be able to use that Yacht and service it.
Do you mean a yacht a bit more pricier than LS500h? I didn't thought about that. It makes sense considering Toyota could had brought the Ponam series from Japanese market. It seems it is more preferable assigning the job to an already established yacht manufacturer.

Still though, the spindle grille is distinctively missing, don't you think?

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew

Instant Success: Lexus Sells First LY 650 Luxury Yacht
18-09-11-lexus-ly-650-luxury-yacht.jpg

Announced just four days after reveal.
View the original article post

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Do you mean a yacht a bit more pricier than LS500h? I didn't thought about that. It makes sense considering Toyota could had brought the Ponam series from Japanese market. It seems it is more preferable assigning the job to an already established yacht manufacturer.

Still though, the spindle grille is distinctively missing, don't you think?

Ponam is Toyota, not Lexus... it is not luxurious, also they dont have any way to service those in the USA.

To sell anything you have to be able to use it and service it - fuel it at any port and have service availble for any issues in all of the major ports. Or else, how can buyer use it?

isanatori

Follower
Reactions
I don't see any surface on that boat that would work with a spindle, and that's what I meant above about not forcing details that don't fit.

You are right. The spindle grille would look out of place on that yacht.

I loosely meant having the prerequisite of Lexus presenting a true flagship, like it did with LS400, which put the Lexus brand immediately at the top of the heavy weight category.

I believe a design resembling a car hood, like the Tankoa Bolide concept, would be awesome with the spindle grille and the INTERSECT design theme.

There would be just needed additional space for hydrogen refueling pumps, side floats to accommodate hydrogen gas tanks and some slender hulls to carry a few Lexus cars and a boat.

Okay, I have to curb my excitement and remain level-headed. :blush:

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Okay I know nothing about Yachts but how much is this baby gonna cost??

mikeavelli

Reactions
https://boatingindustry.com/news/2018/07/24/marquis-larson-will-introduce-new-marquis-line-in-2019/

“With our experience building ultra modern, ultra high quality boats for both Lexus and VanDutch, I feel we are in a unique position to offer a new Marquis brand that will become a significant player in this growing market,”

According to Rob Parmentier, President & CEO of the Marquis-Larson Boat Group, Marquis Yachts will discontinue its current line of semi-custom cruising boats and transition to an entirely new line for 2019.

I guess Lexus will have to ditch the absolutely gorgeous INTERSECT cultural theme from the boutique's space series, that have defined the signature of the brand.

Although, I find the interior and exterior styling of the LY650 simple and cool, it is not luxurious.

I apologize for my bitter criticism, but I believe Lexus can do a lot better than that, by a mile!

I've met a couple guys from Marquis and they are top notch. I have full confidence in what is being done here.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I wish Lexus let their instincts with the LC concept to production, translate to this yacht. Their first foray into ocean lifestyle luxury could've been so much better. I know its only a few pictures but based off those, it does not look or feel very luxurious or Japanese). I hope I am dead wrong.

The thing with boats is that they have a much more rigid set of constraints on the outside shape compared to cars. I'd personally love to have a giant yacht with a 30-foot-wide spindle grille to terrorize passing Jalopnik posters, but it would have the hydrodynamics of a brick. And I think the boat's interior is definitely in a 5LS direction, even if it's not quite there yet first year.

Reactions
The thing with boats is that they have a much more rigid set of constraints on the outside shape compared to cars. I'd personally love to have a giant yacht with a 30-foot-wide spindle grille to terrorize passing Jalopnik posters, but it would have the hydrodynamics of a brick. And I think the boat's interior is definitely in a 5LS direction, even if it's not quite there yet first year.

I immediately let out a loud chuckle when I read that. Imagine so, it would have been amazing to see this gorgeous thing passing by many anti-Lexus Jalopnik users and making their blood boil, trying their very best to call it a predator. Like you mentioned, a spindle grille application wouldn't work here at all, but I would say screw all and put a spindle grille on the bow just to trigger so many people. :p

EDIT: Best post of this year for Lexus Enthusiast? XD

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I still 100% with the FCEV revolution, and I still believe 10 years from now it will take the share of the Diesel Engines

isanatori

Follower
Reactions
I've met a couple guys from Marquis and they are top notch. I have full confidence in what is being done here.
I don't doubt at all about Marquis being top notch. I didn't want to discriminate the company. Besides, I have no idea about the yacht sector. I apologize for my poor writing, giving the impression that I have anything bad to assign to them.

I think if someone is to be blamed, it's the Lexus.
Elon Musk started from top category, because batteries were not competitive on cost/size/power/range.

Lexus could had done the same about hydrogen. Ordering a big yacht able to satisfy the customer needs, while employing the Mirai hydrogen tech.

It would be easier to fit the grille too. I had in mind the design of the yacht stern below.
https://goo.gl/images/bs51eQ

Last edited:

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
I immediately let out a loud chuckle when I read that. Imagine so, it would have been amazing to see this gorgeous thing passing by many anti-Lexus Jalopnik users and making their blood boil, trying their very best to call it a predator. Like you mentioned, a spindle grille application wouldn't work here at all, but I would say screw all and put a spindle grille on the bow just to trigger so many people. :p

EDIT: Best post of this year for Lexus Enthusiast? XD

Now I'm visualizing an intricately carved wooden Predator statue mounted to the bow as a figurehead, lol.