internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
VW wants SSB by 2024. Quantumscape has a lot more cash now with the SPAC merger.

Safety is number one for these mass market producers.

Will1991

Reactions
The article speculates the first SSB product due in mid 2022 will be the next-gen Prius.

Considering the usual high C-rate necessary for a HEV traction battery, can we assume if this really goes to fruition that it will be on a BEV Prius?

Rydo

Follower
Reactions

View attachment 4485

Citroen have already released a vehicle very similar to this in France called the Ami

Citroen-Ami-Berlin-PS1-1-888x444.jpg

Not the mention Renault's Twizzy, which was actually released here in Scotland too!

Eng_Renault_Twizy_ZE.jpg

These are both pretty cool little options to compete with things like electric scooters - but sadly they are too expensive for what they are.

The teaser shots of this new concept look break, I'm getting LF-1 vibes from the rear.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Was there a timeline for the rollout of this concept? Lexus hasn't released an official teaser image or announcement, right?

Will1991

Reactions
001.jpg

New image!

Lexus Announces 2020 Global Sales Results | Lexus | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website

Lexus International President / Chief Branding Officer Koji Sato
"I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to each and every one of our customers around the world as well as to all of our team members involved in sales, production, and development. And to all those who are doing their best to fulfill their responsibilities while confronting various difficulties, please know that you have my deepest respect.

This year, Lexus will take a new step forward in aiming to make the diversified lifestyles of our customers more rewarding. This Spring, we will unveil our new brand vision, along with a new concept, which illustrates our intentions for the future and marking the beginning of the next generation of Lexus. Furthermore, we will launch the first model under our new vision within this year, and we will continue to introduce new models next year and beyond. From here on as well, by being considerate of our customers around the world and engaging in car-making that exceeds their expectations, we will continue to take up the challenge of delivering happiness to all people who come into contact with Lexus. I look forward to sharing more with you soon."

With some more details:
8-F788839-AC2-F-4-ABF-A4-E8-6-AADD59-CA719.jpg

The prototype:
lexus-bev-prototype-2020-02-min.png

This makes me wonder.... Will this be the Lexus version of the to be shown Toyota BEV SUV to be launched this year?
Are we looking (as a concept) at the Lexus LBX trademark?
Lexus states "This Spring, we will unveil our new brand vision, along with a new concept, which illustrates our intentions for the future and marking the beginning of the next generation of Lexus."

Perhaps the concept for the production RZ450e?

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Concept-header-1024x576.png

Lexus teased a new concept vehicle, set to debut in spring, that “illustrates our intentions for the future and marking the beginning of the next generation of Lexus.” The exact debut date is unknown, but it seems possible that this concept could be related to the one that was shown with the Direct4 all-wheel-drive announcement late last year.
In the announcement, Chief Branding Officer Koji Sato also mentions, “Furthermore, we will launch the first model under our new vision within this year, and we will continue to introduce new models next year and beyond. From here on as well, by being considerate of our customers around the world and engaging in car-making that exceeds their expectations, we will continue to take up the challenge of delivering happiness to all people who come into contact with Lexus. I look forward to sharing more with you soon.”
We lightened the photo to look for more details not...

Continue reading...

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Really interested in the new Lexus branding. Similar to Porsche's style, logo badge for the front end and the rear has the manufacturer name spaced out in all caps. In fact now that I mentioned Porsche, the taillights kinda look like it might be a lightbar that stretches across the entire rear end. Looks similar to the Panamera or Taycan to me.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Finally some news of something big incoming.

I agree with @meth.ix, I immediately thought Porsche when I saw that darkened image.

I do hope that they keep hold of their L logo somewhere though as they have built up that logo successfully in my eyes.

Interestingly, the new spelled out logo isn't the same font used for the current text usage of the Lexus name, but an all new font.

Whatever the case, it's exciting to hear Lexus give this new concept a big dollop of hype, but let's hope it's something that is going to be tangible sooner rather than later as concepts like the LF-30 won't be welcome.

Reactions
The all new 2022 Lexus NX could go on sale as soon as July and this could be a preview of the new design language that will debut with that model.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I thought the exact same, @meth.ix. Very Porsche-esque... kind of like if the Boxster was a CUV.

To me, this is probably the concept that turns into the RZ, and I think it's the same vehicle from the DIrect4 video. That is a perfect vehicle to foreshadow the next chapter of Lexus... largely because it's something they need so badly.

If you look at how thick/tall the rear bumper is, that's a dead ringer for CUV coupes like the X6 and GLE where designers have to create a transitional visual mass between a lower ride height for sedans and the larger mass of a crossover... something that can be curvy and chunky, but not so upright as a CUV or traditional SUV. That is what I see here with that tall rear bumper.

When we were all looking at the front end teased in the Direct4 announcement, it seemed a little too upright and tall to be a sedan, but a little more docile than a SUV or CUV. Putting those picture sets together, it's clear they are the same vehicle. Especially with the rear lights... comparing today's image with the rear we saw before, you can tell that the shapes are identical. Then the wheels are identical between the second and third pictures.

shadows-768x432.png

I'm not a fan of vehicles like the X4, X6, GLC coupe, etc. because they are so compromised and I find them quite ugly. While Lexus tends to come to the party late, they also have a history of doing it better than everyone else, so I'm hopeful that the execution of this vehicle is better than it's competitors.

Last point: This rear end reminds me a bit of the new QX55... the shapes and tail light detailing are quite similar.

cache-v2

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
strange, lexus said no cuv coupe, but what i see is an lexus x6.

lexus started by imitating mercedes, then went their way. after needing a new focus, they will now immitate porsche. in both cases while lexus imitates to go upmarket, the imitated go downmarket.

Reactions
Aus meine Sicht, zeigt das Bild einen Lexus LS, der auch das selbe antrieb haben wird, wie seine kleiner Bruder - Toyota Mirai, also Wasserstoff.

Reactions
From my point of view, the picture shows a Lexus LS, which will also have the same propulsion system as its little brother - Toyota Mirai, i.e. hydrogen.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
From my point of view, the picture shows a Lexus LS, which will also have the same propulsion system as its little brother - Toyota Mirai, i.e. hydrogen.

They had two ways they could successfully start off a branding overhaul:
  1. With a new LS, should have just forgotten about doing a mid cycle refresh of the current generation and start fresh.
  2. Another way to start a branding overhaul is if they start with an entirely new line, perhaps a BEV “RZ” with new technologies that we will start to see rolled out to future Lexus models.
I’m not sure it’s a total rebranding if they are just going to put their brand name spaced out a la Infiniti. Could they evolve the L logo into something fresh but still Lexus? Nissan and Kia have recently redone their logos, but they were in dire need of that unlike Lexus.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I happen to like whatever font and spacing that is.

What I truly like about Porsche is the way it seems like it floats, it’s not just on the rear trunk.

Excited to see what comes!

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Whatever the case, it's exciting to hear Lexus give this new concept a big dollop of hype, but let's hope it's something that is going to be tangible sooner rather than later as concepts like the LF-30 won't be welcome.
agreed, this drought of Lexus news has been horrible lol