212 KB · Views: 8
  • 2016 Volvo XC90 T8 007.png
    2016 Volvo XC90 T8 007.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 8

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Such a tough choice!

I love the new XC90, but I also love the new RX. I honestly have no idea which one I would actually choose :confused:. At the very least, these are by far my top two choices in the segment.

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
The combination of 0-100 km/h in sub-six seconds, combined fuel economy of sub-three litres/100 km, full-sized third row seats and an interior on par with that of the Lexus makes the Volvo a very attractive option. On the other hand, JD Power's ratings for build quality and dependability certainly favour the Lexus.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I am a big fan of the new Volvo and the plug in model is super cool. I think both are superb. Honestly a tough choice but naturally I lean toward the Lexus.

rayaans

Fan
Reactions
Price is a huge factor and the Volvo costs way too much money. Not to mention, fuel economy is half of what is estimated!

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
Price is a huge factor and the Volvo costs way too much money. Not to mention, fuel economy is half of what is estimated!
Fuel consumption on the Lexus will also be more than advertised. Neither my wife's NX nor my IS returns close to the advertised figures. When compared to the RX450h, in South Africa the Volvo XC90 T8 costs less than 20% more when specified with all the required accessories. The XC90 T6 costs less than the RX450h when well specified and advertises similar fuel consumption and a much better 0-100 time. The XC90 test drive impressed. Retaining current customers I believe is an easy task for Lexus. Because I love the brand the RX still remains my first choice, but emotional attachment aside, it has some stiff competition here, especially when attracting new customers who would also consider the Volvo.

rayaans

Fan
Reactions
Fuel consumption on the Lexus will also be more than advertised. Neither my wife's NX nor my IS returns close to the advertised figures. When compared to the RX450h, in South Africa the Volvo XC90 T8 costs less than 20% more when specified with all the required accessories. The XC90 T6 costs less than the RX450h when well specified and advertises similar fuel consumption and a much better 0-100 time. The XC90 test drive impressed. Retaining current customers I believe is an easy task for Lexus. Because I love the brand the RX still remains my first choice, but emotional attachment aside, it has some stiff competition here, especially when attracting new customers who would also consider the Volvo.

My RX F Sport gets 32mpg and it's quoted at 44.8mpg. My wife's IS300H gets 40mpg and that's quoted at 60mpg. Both cars are not driven in an eco friendly way. The Volvo quotes 130+ UK Mpg and only gets 45-60 in real world. That's half the quoted MPG when driven normally!!

The Volvo also has a conventional auto box which jerks like a BMW SMG. It's no match for how smooth the RX is.

Also, the RX doesn't need plugging in and around here in the UK there are barely any charging points

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
My RX F Sport gets 32mpg and it's quoted at 44.8mpg. My wife's IS300H gets 40mpg and that's quoted at 60mpg. Both cars are not driven in an eco friendly way. The Volvo quotes 130+ UK Mpg and only gets 45-60 in real world. That's half the quoted MPG when driven normally!!

The Volvo also has a conventional auto box which jerks like a BMW SMG. It's no match for how smooth the RX is.

Also, the RX doesn't need plugging in and around here in the UK there are barely any charging points
You can charge the T8 at home. In SA at current electricity prices, which are high, a full charge would cost less than 1 GBP. That would be able to take me to work and back in electric-only driving mode, something I couldn't do in an RX for close to that price. I've owned two RX450 hybrids and whilst I do like the CVT, I prefer a conventional gearbox as I like a performance feel and the CVT doesn't provide any shift shock. In the same breath, the T8 boasts an impressive 0-100 km/h figure, an area that the RX hasn't and seemingly still doesn't focus on.

The T8 also supports Apple CarPlay, which I have in another vehicle and thoroughly enjoy. Then there's the third row of seats, which are very comfortable and fold down flat due to the T8 having better placement of batteries vs the RX, allowing for more storage space. Volvo have done well with the new XC90. As I said above, retaining current customers is an easy task for Lexus (since the overall experience is second to none), but the XC90 is an attractive option for new customers shopping in this segment. Volvo still ranked quite poorly in this year's JD Power surveys, although those didn't consider the new platform. Time will tell whether they've managed to increase their quality as part of the modernisation of their architecture. I'm hoping Lexus will be able to defend its title in this segment!