Lexus RX ‘my search’ as a first-timer

Reactions
Hi All,
I’ve been a Toyota owner for many years, ready to take the step up into a Lexus but also trying to get one under 20/25k and hold onto for many years (goal is no car payments)! I’m narrowing down to a 2013-2015 with less than 75k miles. One thing I always enjoy is the ‘hunt’ of my car buying and I have this odd eagerness to find a private sale one owner older person who might have a Lexus in great shape. I’d do a private inspection of course. But then there’s the other piece of me that’s concerned about the ‘what if’ or any maintenance issues or problems with now a more expensive vehicle (I know Lexus has great reliability but things still do happen). A couple questions to the group as I start my search:
- save a few thousand and buy private or is CPO really worth it?
- any major mechanical issues people have seen in the 2013-2015 RX models?
-does a hybrid engine last longer?
- should I suck it up and spend 5k more for a 2016 with the new design? (sometimes the older design is more appealing than the newer one for me).
- any other ideas?
thank you all so much! Excited and eager to be a long time Lexus owner. Seems like a great financial decision and a great ride!

Reactions
CPO is worth it for the extended warranty, however, the Lexus RX is one of the most reliable vehicles money can buy. It's unlikely that you're going to need any major repairs during the duration of the warranty. If it were me, I would consider private or non-CPO and pull up a Carfax on the vin. This is going to give you a good indication if the vehicle has been properly maintained (every 5-10k miles).

I have spent a lot of time around these vehicles (2013-15 RXs) and truthfully, I can't recall any major mechanical issues. I have seen minor issues like a/c not blowing cold (easy fix) and radio malfunctions (needed replacement). Most of the time, the complaints stemmed from bluetooth connectivity issues and trouble with the navigation system or voice commands (99% user error). I have also seen a 2010 RX350 (similar vehicle) with over 300,000 miles on it that still ran perfectly.

Technically, the hybrid engine or system does not last longer. Whereas the regenerative braking system will increase the longevity of the brake pads, the hybrid battery only has a finite amount of energy before it needs replacement and it is expensive. The hybrid system in the RX450h is a "performance hybrid." This means you get better performance but about the same MPG as the RX350. Also, the RX450h takes premium gas and the RX350 takes regular. Ironically, you will probably save more money on gas with the non-hybrid model.

The 2013 RX is a good choice because the phone connectivity, radio, and navigation system is a massive improvement from the 2012 model year. The 2014-15 RXs include "Siri Eyes-Free" which, for iPhone users, is really helpful on longer drives.

The 2016 RX is a big step up in terms of comfort, vehicle performance, and safety. One feature on the 2016 RX that, for me, is worth the extra expense is the all-speed radar cruise control. If you travel to or live in an area with rush-hour traffic, it helps alleviate the fatigue associated with stop-and-go traffic by doing it for you. All you have to do is steer.

Ultimately, they're all good choices. I would lean towards the 2014-15 RX because of "Siri Eyes-Free" and because I feel that it provides the best value for the money.

Last edited:
Reactions
CPO is worth it for the extended warranty, however, the Lexus RX is one of the most reliable vehicles money can buy. It's unlikely that you're going to need any major repairs during the duration of the warranty. If it were me, I would consider private or non-CPO and pull up a Carfax on the vin. This is going to give you a good indication if the vehicle has been properly maintained (every 5-10k miles).

I have spent a lot of time around these vehicles (2013-15 RXs) and truthfully, I can't recall any major mechanical issues. I have seen minor issues like a/c not blowing cold (easy fix) and radio malfunctions (needed replacement). Most of the time, the complaints stemmed from bluetooth connectivity issues and trouble with the navigation system or voice commands (99% user error). I have also seen a 2010 RX350 (similar vehicle) with over 300,000 miles on it that still ran perfectly.

Technically, the hybrid engine or system does not last longer. Whereas the regenerative braking system will increase the longevity of the brake pads, the hybrid battery only has a finite amount of energy before it needs replacement and it is expensive. Also, the hybrid system in the RX450h is a "performance hybrid." This means you get better performance but about the same MPG as the RX350. Also, the RX450h takes premium gas and the RX350 takes regular. Ironically, you will save more money on gas on the non-hybrid model.

The 2013 RX is a good choice because the phone connectivity, radio, and navigation system is a massive improvement from the 2012 model year. The 2014-15 RXs include "Siri Eyes-Free" which, for iPhone users, is really helpful on longer drives.

The 2016 RX is a big step up in terms of comfort, vehicle performance, and safety. One feature on the 2016 RX that, for me, is worth the extra expense is the all-speed radar cruise control. If you travel to or live in an area with rush-hour traffic, it helps alleviate the fatigue associated with stop-and-go traffic by doing it for you. All you have to do is steer.

Ultimately, they're all good choices. I would lean towards the 2014-15 RX because of "Siri Eyes-Free" and because I feel that it provides the best value for the money.
Thanks so much, great information!!!

Reactions

Technically, the hybrid engine or system does not last longer. Whereas the regenerative braking system will increase the longevity of the brake pads, the hybrid battery only has a finite amount of energy before it needs replacement and it is expensive. The hybrid system in the RX450h is a "performance hybrid." This means you get better performance but about the same MPG as the RX350. Also, the RX450h takes premium gas and the RX350 takes regular. Ironically, you will probably save more money on gas with the non-hybrid model.

Hi there,
May I ask for your thoughts on Rx350 2019 (18K mls) ? Is it known for any major engine/drivetrain, electrical issues, etc ? I like to own and keep my cars, currently have 2013 Camry 4-cyl with 204K mls. Reason for the 2019 - is the last year with the 'joystick', which Lexus replaced in 2020 with the 'laptop trackpad', which I hate. Thank you in advance !

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Hi there,
May I ask for your thoughts on Rx350 2019 (18K mls) ? Is it known for any major engine/drivetrain, electrical issues, etc ? I like to own and keep my cars, currently have 2013 Camry 4-cyl with 204K mls. Reason for the 2019 - is the last year with the 'joystick', which Lexus replaced in 2020 with the 'laptop trackpad', which I hate. Thank you in advance !
You know that the 20 has the touchscreen right? Way easier then any interface lexus had in the past.

The 19s are fine. 4th gen RX (16-22) biggest flaw I guess was the transmission tuning and resonance intrusions at select frequencies. Its vehicle specific and owner specific. Test drive and of course get a PPI before signing anything

Reactions

The 2016 RX is a big step up in terms of comfort, vehicle performance, and safety. One feature on the 2016 RX that, for me, is worth the extra expense is the all-speed radar cruise control. If you travel to or live in an area with rush-hour traffic, as written in research papers it helps alleviate the fatigue associated with stop-and-go traffic by doing it for you. All you have to do is steer.

Thank you! I'm also currently choosing, and it seems like the 2015 RX is the best.