Lexus October 2016 Sales Report

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I often wonder what the goals are? Because for all the complaining people have done, the interior did improve with the refresh and compared to most its pretty damn good. Everyone was fapping to the new E-class interior in pics and Motor Trend just reviewed it in a comparo and highlighted some bits as a low point. Sometimes I'm not sure what to think lol.

Will AWD come? Also will the ES hit 50k+ next go round. That means its doubled in price since its debut over 25 years ago!

Well aside from materials, I also mean visually. The current refreshed 6ES interior just doesn't look class-leading. In the sense that, there is a conflicting mix of curves and weird shapes together with straight lines on the dash. It's as if two different design teams had conflicting ideas and they were combined together. The RX interior shows how it's done in terms of being class leading. No reason the ES can't get a similar interior.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Well aside from materials, I also mean visually. The current refreshed 6ES interior just doesn't look class-leading. In the sense that, there is a conflicting mix of curves and weird shapes together with straight lines on the dash. It's as if two different design teams had conflicting ideas and they were combined together. The RX interior shows how it's done in terms of being class leading. No reason the ES can't get a similar interior.

What to people consider to be better? I don't find the TLX or a CLA or A4 much if any better. The Maxima is actually pretty good but not sure if its better.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Well putting aside actual material quality, purely in terms of styling/looks, the ES is not a clear class leader. A strong case can be made for the C Class, ATS, and Q50 interiors in terms of overall how cohesive their interiors look. The ES interior is class competitive, but I wouldn't call it a clear class leader. Also the ES has very few direct competitors, as it is a comfort and luxury focused entry-level sedan. So given that, the ES should be the obvious class leader here. That was definitely the case with the famous 4ES, the 5ES had a strange interior, and the 6ES is better, but not a clear class leader like the RX is in its class. Aside from other competitors, Lexus needs to look at itself, and maintain a high standard.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Well putting aside actual material quality, purely in terms of styling/looks, the ES is not a clear class leader. A strong case can be made for the C Class, ATS, and Q50 interiors in terms of overall how cohesive their interiors look. The ES interior is class competitive, but I wouldn't call it a clear class leader. Also the ES has very few direct competitors, as it is a comfort and luxury focused entry-level sedan. So given that, the ES should be the obvious class leader here. That was definitely the case with the famous 4ES, the 5ES had a strange interior, and the 6ES is better, but not a clear class leader like the RX is in its class. Aside from other competitors, Lexus needs to look at itself, and maintain a high standard.

Ahh, good point Q50 and C class and ATS are well done.

mikeavelli

Reactions
4series-2,853
RC-1,081
Q60-725
A5-609

Was surprised the Q60 didn't sell better as there is tons of inventory now. I am assuming it will outsell the RC. The G37 coupe was a huge huge hit and seller for them.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
4series-2,853
RC-1,081
Q60-725
A5-609

Was surprised the Q60 didn't sell better as there is tons of inventory now. I am assuming it will outsell the RC. The G37 coupe was a huge huge hit and seller for them.

The Q60 is the first Infiniti in a while that IMO looks attractive styling-wise. However I don't think Infiniti will ever reach the sales heights that the G37 and G35 coupes enjoyed. Those were different times in the market with less competition. Since then, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus have all stepped up their coupe offerings, just to name the big players. Hyundai will likely eat into Q60 sales if their next-gen Genesis coupe is more luxury.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Segway to November, predictions are the best November ever. Incentives overall still around 4k. Everyone up except Chrysler.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I actually was stunned to learn it seems the entire 7ES was shown in Japan at Fuji. So you and me both.

Completely agree with you on the 5GS, it has to grow in size significantly and the styling has to resonate more with buyers. The driving/handling no longer is the issue. New engines obviously need to come from the start.

Mike I know you are big american :). But not everything needs to grow a lot bigger :).

I think best for 5GS would be to go back to 3GS roots in being kind of coupeish/sporty, and go away from fleet vibe that A6/5 series have.

And heck, bring ES worldwide.

Main dealer request in Europe would be 2 more SUVs by 2018... one based on C-HR is a lock but what about CT going there too?

mikeavelli

Reactions
Mike I know you are big american :). But not everything needs to grow a lot bigger :).

I think best for 5GS would be to go back to 3GS roots in being kind of coupeish/sporty, and go away from fleet vibe that A6/5 series have.

And heck, bring ES worldwide.

Main dealer request in Europe would be 2 more SUVs by 2018... one based on C-HR is a lock but what about CT going there too?

ES would be a disaster in Europe...it does well in China with the 2.0 I-4.....

I just got back from Essen....Europe continues to move toward bigger cars and SUVs :)....

My comment is not my preference. I prefer a smaller more nimble setup though I am big lol..the LC in that regards is perfect. The market however does relate size to class in regards to C/E/S etc.....and the LC is not nearly as big as the S or even the 6 series. So I'm unsure how consumers will see the car when they see the price. I think Lexus research likely shows that because of the STYLING which honestly looks exotic, that people won't care about size.

I am 6"5 and I fit better in a Porsche 911 than any coupe. Their ergonomics are unmatched. I laugh when I'm driving a GTR, RC F, 6 series etc and I'm searching for more room and comfort. :D

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
ES would be a disaster in Europe...it does well in China with the 2.0 I-4.....

I just got back from Essen....Europe continues to move toward bigger cars and SUVs :)....

Why do you think that ES would be a disaster in Europe? I think it would outsell IS/GS/LS combined.

I mean by far the most sold A6 is 2.0tdi with FWD and plastic interior with cloth. ES would do well here. Lexus is overthinking it, nobody thinks of Lexus differently because they dont have FWD ES or think poorly about Audi because most cars they sell (actual specs) feel cheap.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Why do you think that ES would be a disaster in Europe? I think it would outsell IS/GS/LS combined.

I mean by far the most sold A6 is 2.0tdi with FWD and plastic interior with cloth. ES would do well here. Lexus is overthinking it, nobody thinks of Lexus differently because they dont have FWD ES or think poorly about Audi because most cars they sell (actual specs) feel cheap.

Its just not built for Euro Driving habits or roads. Its more floaty than a RX lol....Its also larger than the GS.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Its just not built for Euro Driving habits or roads. Its more floaty than a RX lol....Its also larger than the GS.

so they firm it up a little bit, not too much... Fleet cars like A6 and 5 series are mostly bought for good price, interior size and prestige... most people buy 2.0tdi with base suspensions, so it is not like they are racing them.