Lexus Named Top Brand in J.D. Power 2019 Vehicle Dependability Study

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
The PR on the official website is down, but here's CNET's coverage:
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/jd-power-2019-dependability-study-lexus-porsche-toyota/
$

Lexus and Toyota are the only two Japanese brands that remain in the top 10, with more Japanese brands below the industry average than there are above. The Germans on the other hand have really caught up big time, with no German brand at all below the industry average.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I wonder if the study was done on 4+ year-old cars with no warranty left. Most people will not even complain about their vehicles as long as warranty work is performed. :)

The annual J.D. Power study gauges dependability of 3-year-old vehicles over the last 12 months, meaning this year's survey assessed the 2016 model year.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Hi krew, you're incorrectly linking to the 2016 VDS, where the ES, GX and RX were indeed winners, but we don't know who the winners are this year since the official PR has been down for some reason.
The J.D.Power site is now seemingly fixed, and the 2019 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study page confirms that Krew's article is correct in that ES is the highest-ranked Compact Premium Car and GX and RX are ranked 1-2 in the Midsize Premium SUV segment. No other Lexus vehicles are mentioned in the top 3 of each class.

What I find odd is that the larger ES is considered a compact premium car while the shorter Toyota Camry leads the midsize car category. Why are there different size limits/boundaries for the "regular" and premium categories? Makes no sense...

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I am very impressed with Porsche lately in terms of reliability. My dads 2014 Cayenne hasn't had any major problems yet. However, there is still a big difference between Porsche and Lexus, despite nearly having the same reliability after 3 years. Porsche maintenance is significantly more expensive than Lexus due to specific/specialized parts and limited mechanics with knowledge of Porsche maintenance. However this isn't really surprising considering that we're talking about a German company here.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Porsche maintenance is significantly more expensive than Lexus due to specific/specialized parts and limited mechanics with knowledge of Porsche maintenance.

Things do change; the early Porsche and VW air-cooled engines have a solid reputation for "anyone can fix them". Of course, today's Porsche and VW products are significantly more complex.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Great job Lexus, Porsche and Toyota!!! Keep up the great work...