krew

Lexus May 2018 Sales Report
18-06-01-lexus-ls-may-2018.jpg

LS way up, LC way down.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den
Reactions
AR-180609952.jpg

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180601/RETAIL01/180609952/toyota-may-sales-drop-cars-trucks
TOYOTA: Weaker car demand dents May results

Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. said sales fell 1.3 percent in May from a year earlier on weaker car volume. Overall, Toyota car demand fell 11 percent last month while light-truck sales rose 5.8 percent. Year-to-date sales inched 2.8 percent higher, compared with the same period a year ago.

Brands: Toyota down 1.5%, Lexus down 0.1%.

Notable nameplates: Toyota Camry down 7.9%, Toyota Corolla down 10%, Toyota RAV4 down 0.4%, Toyota Highlander up 18%, Toyota Tacoma up 21%, Toyota Tundra down 5.8%, Lexus NX down 0.7%, Lexus RX up 9.6%, Lexus LS up 186% (908 vs. 317), Lexus ES down 9.5%, Toyota C-HR up 136% (4,366 vs. 1,848).

Incentives: $2,318 per unit, down 11% from a year earlier, according to ALG.

Average transaction price: $31,675, up 2.8% from a year earlier, ALG says.

Quote: "Toyota continues to struggle in the car segments, even with an all-new Camry. There may be opportunity for vehicles like Camry with Ford leaving sedan segments, but it will still be an uphill battle with American consumers," said Akshay Anand, executive analyst for Kelley Blue Book.

Did you know? Toyota and Lexus divisions' light trucks posted a best-ever May.

GTG

Fan
Reactions
I got a chance to drive The Ls 500 F sport and the hybrid as well , at a Lexus driving event in NY , the drive in both of those cars are 10 steps higher than the last model . I see why it’s selling like it is 170 something percent . Crazy !! If anyone gets a chance drive it ,it’s that good .

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
How is it possible that the LFA is still selling in 2018? Are these dealers holding the vehicle to wait for its value to increase?

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
LC is their best product in RWD portfolio right now. They have finally figured out how to move exclusive $100,000 sports/GT two door. Steady 150 number is beyond awesome. This should be a lecture learned for all of their upcoming RWD products cause current ones are in downward spiral that's unstoppable. Take what you will from new 5LS sales, glass half empty or half full.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
According to these sources, Lexus wanted to sell 400 LC's per month in the US: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/03/can-sports-car-sell-well-2017-lexus-lc-high-hopes/ and https://www.motor1.com/news/136097/lexus-lc-500-hybrid-sales/
Seen in that light, and the overwhelmingly positive reviews, the glass seems less than half full. I would love to purchase one myself one day, though.

I hope the new LS will continue its latest performance. Check out how it compared to the class leader: S-class sold 1.169 units - only 261 units ahead this month! Who would have thought it would have been this close!? I'm starting to regret that I didn't take a closer look when I went to see the LC up close earlier this year.

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
LC is just too slow for the price. Nothing against those that purchased it already, but this car is not attracting the younger, stereotypical rich “Internet type,” who would rather spend the same or more for that BMW M, Mercedes AMG or Porsche, etc. You know, something that is ACTUALLY as fast as it looks versus the LC, which may look fast, but is relatively slow.

If the LC—with that engine and that speed—listed for $75k, it might actually sell more. I say that as objectively as possible from a consumer perspective.

The brand new LS can’t outsell a Mercedes that has been out for four years and is due for a new model in two. That really doesn’t speak well imo. A new A8 is coming and when the S gets reintroduced in two years, well...not to mention Genesis is just finding its legs.

The LS tried to do too much and as a consequence, DOES NOT have an identity. It looks sporty but is slow. It’s not attracting the younger buyer just based on looks alone. It’s not, based on reports, as comfortable or as roomy as its predesssor. It tried to please everyone and as a result pleases nobody.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
LC is just too slow for the price. Nothing against those that purchased it already, but this car is not attracting the younger, stereotypical rich “Internet type,” who would rather spend the same or more for that BMW M, Mercedes AMG or Porsche, etc. You know, something that is ACTUALLY as fast as it looks versus the LC, which may look fast, but is relatively slow.

If the LC—with that engine and that speed—listed for $75k, it might actually sell more. I say that as objectively as possible from a consumer perspective.

The brand new LS can’t outsell a Mercedes that has been out for four years and is due for a new model in two. That really doesn’t speak well imo. A new A8 is coming and when the S gets reintroduced in two years, well...not to mention Genesis is just finding its legs.

The LS tried to do too much and as a consequence, DOES NOT have an identity. It looks sporty but is slow. It’s not attracting the younger buyer just based on looks alone. It’s not, based on reports, as comfortable or as roomy as its predesssor. It tried to please everyone and as a result pleases nobody.
You have a point

SteVVT-i

Fan
Reactions

Lmfao get out hater. If the LC is too slow for its price, what do you say of the DB11 that is twice the price but only .7 seconds faster??? Compare apples to apples with the LS and the LS TTV6 is the fastest and most powerful TTV6 in the industry!!!

zeusus

Follower
Reactions

So this is what its like to see out of touch people speak for other demographics that they have no understanding about.

It isn't hard to just look this up before talking out the bum.

Lexus LC500 - $92k base
471hp

Jaguar F Type v8 - $100k
550hp
$182/hp

Maserati GT - $134k
454hp
$295/hp

Mercedes S560 Coupe - $124k
463hp

Porsche 911 Carrera S - $106k
420hp
$252/hp

Go on any LC500 youtube video and look at all of ecstatic comments from young people. Do you even youtube bro? :grinning:

Unfortunately the AM DB11 with 2x the price, more HP, and quicker 0-60, could not best the lap time of the LC500.

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
Say what you want, but sales volume speaks for itself and that was the point I was trying to make. I doubt these cars are reaching beyond the typical Lexus diehard, which means the demographics is just the same as it always is: dangerously old and Lexus knows it.

Edgy styling only goes so far if it’s hiding crappy, slow, old engines

You speak of YouTube like it’s some magical formula. Well, I look at it from another perspective: all those reviews and views hasn’t helped. I wonder why?

You call me a hater; I like to think of myself as an objective and pragmatic realist, not some “you-can-do-no-wrong” fanboy while Lexus drives off the cliff with funny grills and dinosaur, slow and WAY overrated engines.

Count and compare those dollars to HP for the AMG E63 or BMW M5, cars that very nearly cost the same as the LC, but offer so much more. You want young, look to those cars. How many AM DB11s do you see swirling around Google’s parking lots?

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
If you judge cars based on the dollars to hp ratio then it's fair for people to judge you based on the posts to likes ratio.

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
If you judge cars based on the dollars to hp ratio then it's fair for people to judge you based on the posts to likes ratio.

I don’t, but zuesus does.

Read the post prior to mine and see who made that judgement. I was attempting to point out how silly it was so I agree with you there.

You hear that zueses, Sun is insulting you...

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
Lexus LC500 - $92k base
422 -> 154

Jaguar F Type v8 - $100k
409 -> 155

Maserati GT - $134k
76 -> ??

Mercedes S560 Coupe - $124k
I couldn't get separated sales numbers from the S-class, but the
SLC/SLK did 224 -> 263
and the SL-class did: 235 -> 206

Porsche 911 Carrera S - $106k
Again. I can't get the "S"-numbers reparate, but the 911 Carrera performed as follows: 751 -> 801

I have added sales from May 2017 and May 2018 to your post so that we can see how the LC compares to the direct competition that you listed. The F-type seems to suffer a similar sales reduction, but I can't say where the sales went.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Say what you want, but sales volume speaks for itself and that was the point I was trying to make. I doubt these cars are reaching beyond the typical Lexus diehard,

Edgy styling only goes so far if it’s hiding crappy, slow, old engines

You call me a hater; I like to think of myself as an objective and pragmatic realist, not some “you-can-do-no-wrong” fanboy while Lexus drives off the cliff with funny grills and dinosaur, slow and WAY overrated engines.

Count and compare those dollars to HP for the AMG E63 or BMW M5, cars that very nearly cost the same as the LC, but offer so much more.

1. Your doubts have nothing to do with reality. You've already proven how out of touch you are with consumers outside of your demographic. Because those darn stereotypical rich internet types, dread them...!

2. How is the LC500's engine crappy and slow? Based on numbers alone, its NA and pushing out more than it's competitors, the F-type uses a supercharger. Despite the fact that the engine is older, why are none of the premium luxury makers putting out the same or more NA numbers reliably?

3. Hater, troll, doesn't really matter to me. Nobody paid attention to you on CL and now you're trying luck here.

4. Why would you compare $/hp to cars that don't compete with the LC? Is it because you're afraid of the results from actual comparisons I put up? Dollar, hp, 0-60, doesn't matter, the LC holds strong in it's segment, no where near the type of nightmare situation you make it out to be. Solid rumors that there is an LC-F on the way, why don't you be one of those "objective and pragmatic realist(s)" and wait for the LCF to be released before injecting poison into the dialogue?

5. The fact is you'll never be satisfied. If the LC isn't fast enough for you (actually it is plenty fast if comparing directly in the segment) then the engine is old or the grill is funny. Just admit you're a troll and here for one reason only and let's move on from this silly charade. Don't you get tired of fronting?

mikeavelli

Reactions

The LC has actually gotten those type of buyer and quite a few are modified by them. I know since that is what I do. Sales should pick up with summer and the 2019 should arrive in August meaning production is winding down for the 2018.

The LS target is 1,000 units a month, not to outsell the S-Class which we all know is dominant. The 7 series now A8 can't match it either. The A8 even when new sells between 400-600 units a month.

The LS has been sold what 3 months now, I think your post is a bit premature about it.

3. Hater, troll, doesn't really matter to me. Nobody paid attention to you on CL and now you're trying luck here.

Thanks, let me research this.