5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Beautiful! They should offer it on non-F SPORT models too.

They do! One of my favorite combinations on the LS:

ad8d80b.png

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
That's not quite the same though, I like the contrasting black panels on the F Sport version more than the plain white. (Not that the plain white isn't pretty stunning!)

TurboLag

Fan
Reactions
20-11-11-lexus-ls-2021-hero.jpg

Lexus USA has officially announced the 2021 LS flagship, which has been updated with redesigned headlights, a touchscreen, and a “new philosophical change to its design known as the Lexus Driving Signature”.
The 2021 Lexus LS 500 will arrive at dealerships in late November, with a starting MSRP of $76,000. LS 500h models are expected in early 2021, with pricing to be announced closer to that time.
The full Lexus USA press release follows.

Key enhancements yield heightened levels of interior quiet and comfort
LS 500 and LS 500h powerplants both receive additional refinement for 2021
Fine-tuned suspension offers superior ride quality
New 12.3-inch multimedia touchscreen added for all LS models
Starting MSRP of $76,000 for LS 500

PLANO, Texas (November 11, 2020) – Creating an iconic vehicle to set the tone for a luxury automaker is no simple task. The first-generation LS debuted in 1989 with this...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Why is no one talking about this ? Facelift for next year and new engines ?

Interesting! I'm using machine translation, so add some grains of salt, but it says there will be a new turbo 4 hybrid for the low end, and a 600h on the high end with a 5-liter V8 (presumably the LC's in some detuned form) as part of a hybrid system.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Interesting! I'm using machine translation, so add some grains of salt, but it says there will be a new turbo 4 hybrid for the low end, and a 600h on the high end with a 5-liter V8 (presumably the LC's in some detuned form) as part of a hybrid system.
The way I understood the Google Translation, the August 2021 (2022 model year) midlife refresh for the 5th-gen Lexus LS will not only bring a new turbo 4 hybrid for the low end but mark the return of the LS 600h with what appears to be the 5-liter 2UR-FSE V8 hybrid powertrain from the 4th-gen LS 600h and the latest (3rd-gen) Toyota Century.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I don't know much about engine development, but wouldn't it be possible to take the new TTV8 and de-turbo it and pair it to a hybrid system?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I don't know much about engine development, but wouldn't it be possible to take the new TTV8 and de-turbo it and pair it to a hybrid system?

That seems more likely than carrying over the 2UR (I'm assuming the TTV8 is Dynamic Force) but who knows with TMC and engines?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

yes. It would be basically a two of those new 2.0l engines in V config. But it would not be 600h without turbos I dont think.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
High praise for the big boy - seems that some of those 2020 revisions went a long way:

Maybe the LS was rushed to sales because of the huge delay. It was good enough, they would iron out the issues later on, at the expense of first buyers, that probably already had moved to rivals.

mikeavelli

Reactions
audis8_01.jpg

So where is the LS-F? Poorer selling Audi (VAG) had no hesitation to develop and now debut a new high performance S8, so I'm not sure what Toyota has planned, so far for Lexus.

There is no LS-F trademark yet, despite this "sportier" shift for their LS flagship. I would have expected to know something by now semi-officially like with the LC-F.
2018-porsche-panamera-turbo-s-e-hybrid-review.jpg
2019-jaguar-xjr575-ogi-1.jpg

When the XJR575 and Panamera Turbo (and higher) already exist, I would hope Lexus would try to get on with it, after already alienating many traditional LS buyers by targeting them and not the S-Class (W222 was being benchmarked until 2014ish).

Or was the idea to position the LS where the GS...? Anyway, they need to put their money where their mouth is and develop a halo model in a timely fashion. You are supposed to develop a high performance model as soon as design work is done for the main body (2014), not when the whole program concludes (2017) and then spend another 4 years.

BMW M models would never come out quickly enough, if the M Division waited until the first new generation models were done with engineering and rolling off assembly. It takes 3-4 years to do a well executed performance variant, so you get those responsible involved from half to 3/4s of the way during general development.

Waiting until mid-cycle is poor planning and product cadence. Not to mention a decade since this TMG 650 would've been conjured up.

I guess pushed back. Haven’t heard a thing recently. The S8 now starts at 130k and is LWB only....

Ian Schmidt

Reactions

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
High praise for the big boy - seems that some of those 2020 revisions went a long way:

What were the changes they made for 2020 again?

Funny to see Lexus LS being referred to as the ultimate driving machine in this case, on a site like autoblog, compared to a BMW rival. I think even 5 or so years ago that would have been unthinkable.

The real question now is, did they do the right thing with the shift to a sportier vehicle? Where should the traditional LS buyers go in the lineup for the cushy, super lux option?

mikeavelli

Reactions
What were the changes they made for 2020 again?

Funny to see Lexus LS being referred to as the ultimate driving machine in this case, on a site like autoblog, compared to a BMW rival. I think even 5 or so years ago that would have been unthinkable.

The real question now is, did they do the right thing with the shift to a sportier vehicle? Where should the traditional LS buyers go in the lineup for the cushy, super lux option?

That would be the Genesis G90/Kia K900. They don't mask they are old school boats. The G90 seems to have done decently well and offers a V-8 option.

A vehicle that is really slept on for various reasons is the CT6. No joke I was looking at the 550hp CT6-V. Its loaded and can be had under 100k with discounts. Huge interior and I like the squarish bodystyle a ton. Drives sporty too like a LS for this class.

Reactions
Today, the Lexus LS is still very much around and, for this month, it's on sale with thousands of dollars off its MSRP. Lexus right now is officially advertising the 2019 LS and LS Hybrid with up to $8,500 in savings.