mikeavelli

Reactions
Wife's RX lease is up soon and this would have 100% replaced it, if it was available.

Infiniti cannot keep up sales wise, but product wise Lexus is not that great either, with the exception of LC. No V8 for LS, old GX and LX, GS is now FWD in form of ES, IS might be FWD in form of "CT Sedan", no RWD CUV...

LF1 will certainley be a great car, but it should have been here two years ago, not in two years ahead. And RX should have been RWD since the begining, just as the ES.

Well it was FM based and at the time Nissan/Infiniti used that platform on a lot of RWD based products. The FX is discontinued it seems or will go FWD next go round. It also dropped its V-8 a few years ago. A shame because it was an early vehicle in this segment but it seems styling/brand never caught on. As time has gone on I have a big soft spot for them.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Well it was FM based and at the time Nissan/Infiniti used that platform on a lot of RWD based products. The FX is discontinued it seems or will go FWD next go round.
It's worse than that. Almost exactly a year ago Infiniti's product strategy vice-president Francois Bancon told Australia's GoAuto that Nissan's remaining trio of FM-platform vehicles (Q50, Q60 and Q70) would be replaced by new-generation models after 2021 built on a front-wheel-drive platform with rear-biased AWD applied.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I'm going to go off in a bit of a contrarian tangent here and suggest that Lexus will ultimately copy the current German playbook and offer two distinct variants of LQ: a squared-off-back, 3-row "regular" LQ and a 2-row LQ "coupe" more closely resembling the LF-1 Limitless concept's sloping rear.

Hey, so I think the LQ thing started from some filing right?

I noticed this:

It's the Toyota LQ. I think it would be unlikely for Lexus to name a new model after a Toyota concept vehicle, no?

EDIT: To be clear, this is where everyone starts rabid speculation about Lexus' naming system. I'd think "LF" fits, but they use that for their concepts.

Last edited:

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Hi CRSKTN I certainly hope that Lexus will not copy the Germans - I think they have done too much of that already.
Lexus is a unique brand and I for one would like to see them retain that uniqueness, e.g. would really like to see a V8 back in the mix instead of a turbo six in this car. To me a Lexus represents luxury not some sort of sports car that you race around in and they have gone far enough down that sporty road imo. Luxurious comfort ease of driving and solid reliability are the true hallmarks of the brand. My current Lexus is now nine years old and yet folk see it and say hey have you just got that car - it really looks that good and everything still works perfectly.
Certainly not the case with the Mercedes and BMW I have owned previously.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Hey, so I think the LQ thing started from some filing right?

I noticed this:

It's the Toyota LQ. I think it would be unlikely for Lexus to name a new model after a Toyota concept vehicle, no?

EDIT: To be clear, this is where everyone starts rabid speculation about Lexus' naming system. I'd think "LF" fits, but they use that for their concepts.
Wow! I hadn't put two and two together! I'll plead guilty as charged. I saw "LQ" in isolation and was so convinced that was meant for Lexus. I saw that Toyota autonomous concept but it didn't really hit me that it, and not a future Lexus would bear the LQ badge until you posted this. Thank you for that.

And what does LQ stand for in a Toyota context? Here's an excerpt from the Toyota Global Newsroom release announcing the LQ:

...Toyota believes that when people are free to move, anything is possible. This vision is built on an understanding that mobility goes beyond physical transportation to include the human need to be moved and engaged emotionally.

LQ follows this philosophy under a core development theme of "Learn, Grow, Love... The name expresses Toyota's hope that this approach will "cue" the development of future vehicles that enhance the relationship between car and driver.

So is it Love Cue? Learn Cue?

This worries me, though. With the EV Concept seemingly the only debut Lexus plans for the 2019 Tokyo Motor Show, will the production version of LF-1 Limitless be as endlessly delayed as Toyota and Lexus' new-generation TNGA-F body-on-frame pickups and SUVs?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
With the recent trademark filings of LX 600 and LX 500d, what is this vehicle becoming is my question and does it pertain to the LX indeed or is this a revolutionary change to the RX? Skipping GA-K for GA-L instead and leaving the NX as sole GA-K ute? So many questions, as this fits a Bentayga competitor very well.

Does 500d envision an X6 40d style diesel powertrain on the lower end for European markets?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
With the recent trademark filings of LX 600 and LX 500d, what is this vehicle becoming is my question and does it pertain to the LX indeed or is this a revolutionary change to the RX? Skipping GA-K for GA-L instead and leaving the NX as sole GA-K ute? So many questions, as this fits a Bentayga competitor very well.

Does 500d envision an X6 40d style diesel powertrain on the lower end for European markets?

The 500d is required for core markets of LC/LX like AUS, SA, and RUS. The 1VD still has a ton of untapped power and torque but it's not future-proof when it comes to emissions so a new flagship diesel needs to be developed.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
Mercedes just announced a flagship luxury Maybach edition of their GLS SUV. Aston Martin just announced a new SUV.

Why is Lexus taking forever with the production version of the LF-1? They are again last to market in a segment that we all though Lexus was creating/ or at least pushing when the LF-1 was unveiled. I’m guessing we will see it end of next year at the earliest. 🤦‍♂️

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Mercedes just announced a flagship luxury Maybach edition of their GLS SUV. Aston Martin just announced a new SUV.

Why is Lexus taking forever with the production version of the LF-1? They are again last to market in a segment that we all though Lexus was creating/ or at least pushing when the LF-1 was unveiled. I’m guessing we will see it end of next year at the earliest. 🤦‍♂️

Maybach GLS is basically a trim for GLS.

And production LF-1 is likely even 2 years away.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

73139399_1272022532980865_8791531891493699584_n.jpg

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions

More rumours, but theses ones are saying the NX is LF1 inspired.
This has been like a game of Telephone gone haywire. SUVs Daily writer Roy finds a Japanese-language article on a Lexus crossover, assumes it's about the 2nd-gen NX looking like the LF-1 Limitless concept and writes an article stating as much. Then CRSKTN finds said article and inadvertently posts it in the sub-UX crossover thread. In fact, this is none of the above. It looks like a production version of LF-1 Limitless because the article is about LF-1 Limitless, not 2NX. The "smoking gun" is the 650B, which @Carmaker1 told us a while back is the Program Code for the production version of LF-1 Limitless. The revelation here is that it apparently will be introduced in 2021-3, which I interpret as 3rd quarter of the 2021 calendar year.

Having said all that, there are no guarantees that is 100% accurate, either, given all the uncertainty revolving around what production LF-1 and 4LX will turn out to be like.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Maybe the LF1 will be a sport version of the LX (which would become the huge Escalade fighter).

You could call it the LXs. The Lexus LXS600 which would also act as some uber top end offering that sits in it's own "is and isnt an SUV" niche.

Thanks for correcting me on the above.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Maybe the LF1 will be a sport version of the LX (which would become the huge Escalade fighter).

You could call it the LXs. The Lexus LXS600 which would also act as some uber top end offering that sits in it's own "is and isnt an SUV" niche.

Thanks for correcting me on the above.

no, LX is body on frame, while LF1 is not.

They simply have nothing to do with each other.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The X6 is on its third generation. Lexus needs this fast.

Q8 sales have been tremendous for Audi. Now a SQ8 and RSQ8 are coming late this year.

Even Aston introduced a DBX. I went to an event and it’s pretty good.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This concept is coming up on two and a half years old.

Is anything going to come of it?