Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Why do I have a gut feeling that this car will further launch more models down the line having the Q designation...... Oh right. See BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi.

For those who didn't read the article yet or simply didn't get what I mean, I have a feeling that we're starting to get crossover coupes from Lexus. Starting from the top, then the midsize and the compact class. They're witnessing the amount of success the GLC Coupe/GLE Coupe/X6 are getting, and I am thinking that Lexus want's a piece of that lucrative market.
I didn't say it in so many words in my article, but the thought certainly crossed my mind. Will LQ be followed by RQ and NQ?

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Can't say I like that name, seems awkward. LQ 500 doesn't work for me. And like was mentioned in the article, I'm interested to see what Lexus would say the Q stands for in the press release lol.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
LT sounds much better and it kind of fits with the current use of the T in CT. Why make a complete new letter associated with other brands and no history in Lexus.

But there will probably be no more CT, which will be replaced by UX.

Lexus is fortunately quite flexible with their nomenclature, unlike the Germans, which is an advantage that they should use, especially in such a marketing driven automotive industry. Unlike the Germans, any modification of nomenclature in the Lexus lineup does not cause confusion, the main reason is that their letters are not in alphabetic order, but have meaning.

Some examples
LS = Luxury Sedan
LC = Luxury Coupe
LX = Luxury SUV (4X4)
UX = Urban SUV

Seeing how the LF-1 is presented, F1 being the project name of the LS1, LFA being the first (Alpha) and probably last of its kind, the LF-1 is quite clearly the Lexus flagship, something that we did not expect having the LS, LC and LX. The LF-1 is a synthesis of all three models, being the ultimate luxury, with style of a coupe, in a world of SUVs.

I on the contrary think LQ is a very fitting name, and will be the only Lexus to use a different second letter, there are many Lexus' with S, C and X. Q will make it stand out.

I guess LQ stands for Lexus Quintessence.

QUINTESSENCE (noun)
Oxford said:
The most perfect or typical example of a quality or class.

Do not forget TMC's Kaizen and Lexus' "Pursuit of Perfection".

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
LT sounds much better and it kind of fits with the current use of the T in CT. Why make a complete new letter associated with other brands and no history in Lexus.
While I personally agree 100%, perhaps Lexus wants to make a distinction between more upright, utilitarian, almost wagon-like "T" Touring models and more flowing, fastback coupe-like "Q" models? Or perhaps they wanted to avoid associations with the plebeian Chevrolet, which has used LT as a trim level designator for what seems like eons?

I guess LQ stands for Lexus Quintessence.

QUINTESSENCE (noun)
The most perfect or typical example of a quality or class.

Do not forget TMC's Kaizen and Lexus' "Pursuit of Perfection".
:thumbsup::thumbsup: I think you nailed it! That is, by far, the best and most logical explanation of what the "Q" stands for.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Lexus Registers LQ Nameplate for New Flagship Crossover?

18-05-14-lexus-lq-trademark.jpg

The production version of the LF-1 Limitless gets its name.
View the original article post

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
"LQ" is really not working for me. It doesn't flow or sound elegant, and brings Audi to mind.

"LT" made more sense to me because Lexus already has some stake in that line with the CT. "Luxury Touring" or "Tourer."

Oh well... whatever they call it... just bring it ASAP.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Can we roughly estimate when they are going to release the LQ if they register the trademark? What is their typical lead time?
I think an optimistic estimate would be production concept in 19H2, launch in 20H1, and availability in 20H2.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Can we roughly estimate when they are going to release the LQ if they register the trademark? What is their typical lead time?
I think an optimistic estimate would be production concept in 19H2, launch in 20H1, and availability in 20H2.
That sounds about right. As I mentioned in passing in my Kaizen Factor story, Lexus registered the trio of UX trademarks in late February 2016. Two of them were unveiled as production vehicles 2 years later (at the late February 2018 Geneva Motor Show) and are expected to go on sale in the late 3rd quarter or 4th quarter of 2018, depending on market.

Reactions: RAL

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
There's an EQ family coming from Merc.
The name EQ stands for “Electric Intelligence” and is derived from the M-B brand values of “Emotion and Intelligence”

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

@Carmaker1 might help with that.

p.s. if this is another L, does that mean $85k starting price?

GTG

Fan
Reactions
It’s good to know that this is actually happening, The LQ will make more sales than the GLE and the X6 combined , just can’t wait to see a prototype that looks the same as the concept

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It’s good to know that this is actually happening, The LQ will make more sales than the GLE and the X6 combined , just can’t wait to see a prototype that looks the same as the concept

well keep in mind that LQ should be L-flagship... so it will cost more than X6 and GLE. X6 starts at $62k, LQ should be $20k more.