Lexus LC on the Los Angeles Crest Highway

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Hee'a a video of an LC500 and its driver wringing it out a little on the Los Angeles Crest Highway ...though how he got past the California Highway Patrol, without getting a ticket, going up the mountain (the CHP likes to hide in subtle places on the mountain) is anybody's guess. Radar-detectors usually don't work around blind corners.

We have a beautiful mountain two-lane road like that, west of D.C., in the Blue Ridge Mountains, called Skyline Drive, but it is more forested, more gentle in the slopes, much longer, a lower speed limit because it in in a National Park, and more forgiving of driver inattention or error.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Jay Leno's Garage films on that road or something very similar looking all the time. I assume there's some way to get a permit that lets you violate the speed limit.

Reactions
Its a commercial Mike, and it looks like they did all the proper things to make close down the stretch of the road to shoot it. The production put into it wasn't just done with a phone lol.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Jay Leno's Garage films on that road or something very similar looking all the time. I assume there's some way to get a permit that lets you violate the speed limit.

..........I guess, back before he retired, it was giving out free tickets to the Tonight Show LOL. :yum

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Its a commercial Mike, and it looks like they did all the proper things to make close down the stretch of the road to shoot it. The production put into it wasn't just done with a phone lol.

A fair point. There are a number of other videos available, of course, showing other Crest Hill-Climbs, some of them even with other Lexus LCs, so that certainly wasn't the only one. I didn't bother posting all of them, of course. Some of them had comments from readers saying that when they tried it, the CHPs would hide behind corners and nab them at the last second.

That generally doesn't happen along our local beautiful mountain road here, west of D.C. (Skyline Drive), for two reasons. One, because it is in a National Park (Shenandoah National Park), and the speed-limit, like all of the other Park rules, is enforced by Rangers, not State Police. Two, any rule or law in the Park that is broken (including driving-infractions) is considered a Federal Offense, not just breaking a local speed-limit.