Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Curious if Lexus will bring an LC 500h convertible as well, if so it would be the only luxury convertible hybrid ever until another automaker follows suit.

I thought about it today while I was driving and BMW has the I8 convertible and I've seen a handful here in southern California...The I8 is more biased towards electric and does have a gasoline motor.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
LC sales so far in U.S.:

2017 - 2,487
2018 - 1,979
2019 - 579 YTD - Jan thru May, my projection 1,500 (Not sure what Lexus has projected sales of LC)
Total = 5,045

8 Series sales since inception in U.S.:

2018 - 223
2019 - 1,197 YTD - Jan thru May
Total = 1,420

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Believe it or not, that rumor goes back to 2012. We've been waiting 7+ years for this alleged engine.
Make that 2011!šŸ˜²
tmg-lexus-ls-650-wind-tunnel-prototype_100409064_h.jpg

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-06-25-lexus-lc-convertible-australia.jpg

Lexus Australia CEO Scott Thompson has addressed the CNET report that a production version of LC Convertible will debut at the Goodwood Festival of Speed next month ā€” from Motoring Australia:

ā€œThe LC Convertible is a very real possibility for the Australian market, so weā€™re looking at it now to see if thereā€™s a production opportunity,ā€ he told carsales.com.au today.

While hardly a direct confirmation, Thompsonā€™s comments bring added credence to an LC convertible debut next month (not that the report from CNET was ever disputed).
Motoring Austrlia also pushed the envelope, asking about a possible RC convertible:

If the expected $200K-plus price tag for the first Lexus convertible in years is beyond your pay packet, then how about a smaller and more affordable Lexus...

Continue reading...

Reactions
I love the idea of the LC500 convertible and the design is phenomenal. I just wish they would have produced something a little more affordable in certain regions of the United States. It is something different and unique to Lexus and they have always been known to do something different because they can. I would have wished they were coming out with an RC convertible or even an IS convertible again. Maybe they will come out some time soon in the next 2-3 years.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Yes an LC 500 convertible is very awesome but it's not for the masses. I agree with JasonKazeka that Lexus should also bring us an RC convertible which would be much more affordable. Maybe the 2RC will bring us an RC convertible?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
This is the week!

I was in Europe a couple weeks ago, driving the UX Hybrid, when it hit me. The reason for the soft-top is due to the hybrid powertrain. I don't know if that's a huge insight or just common knowledge, but it did explain the thinking to me.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
This is the week!

I was in Europe a couple weeks ago, driving the UX Hybrid, when it hit me. The reason for the soft-top is due to the hybrid powertrain. I don't know if that's a huge insight or just common knowledge, but it did explain the thinking to me.

So battery packaging is what prevents it from being a hard top?

The question is then why is the battery pack sitting upright in the LC instead of lying flat beneath the rear seats? In the LS there are those large massage seats in the way so it couldn't fit under the seat, but in the LC it should be possible.